Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

ELEC.

I have a 2000 38' Alpin & my ??? is : going down the road with the gen running & roof air on the elec. panel shows ( IN DEFAULT ) Believe it or not this is the first time I have used the roof air in motion.

Jim
Jim Albert Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #2

Jim:
"going down the road with the gen running & roof air on the elec. panel shows (IN DEFAULT)"

Not sure what your issue is from that description. Is the roof air not running? Not cooling but fan running? What elec. panel are you referring to, is that the thermostat?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If the genset is running and the main engine is providing 12V to the coach via the alternator, it may be causing the inverter/charger to go into fault mode. Send me a PM and I might be able to help. Further information would be nice as requested by EM above as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

On the Hart interface panel on the left under battery status it shows the AC in fault with the engin and gen set running and the roof air on.

Jim
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
That may be it's state in that genset mode. Someone with this configuration needs to confirm this. Mine has the xantrex and Onan Genset Configuration, and I get the ac fault when genset is running too.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I guess if yours also get the AC fault light, maybe thats the way it's to be. EngineerMike, is that the way you see it ????????

Jim
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

I guess, if all the stuff is running OK- ignore the warning and keep on trucking.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one thing I have yet to see recommended in this thread is RTFM.

What does the MANUAL say about that light that is lit?

Normally I'd download the manual but I'm a bit overloading the bandwidth already today.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
In reading this I believe that you are taking about the panel for inverter, If so I had a similar problem and it was traced to the regulator for the solar panels. The regulator was allowing the batteries to over charge, once replaced it solved the problems, or it could be the Battery Isolator allowing the batteries to over charge.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #10

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.

Jim
Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We have had a similar problem. I turn off the inverter/charger when we travel with the genset on. We don't get the light then.

I didn't know there was a fix for that.

I'll have to get with Dave.

Good thing we have these wizards to lean on!!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

RTFM? Really?
My dad taught me that was un-manly. Then he showed me his hardware breaking act.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
We have had a similar problem. I turn off the inverter/charger when we travel with the genset on. We don't get the light then.

I didn't know there was a fix for that.

I'll have to get with Dave.

Good thing we have these wizards to lean on!!
We also turn of the inverter/charger. I just figured that it was because both the alternator and the generator were trying to charge the batteries and there was a conflict. Easiest solution was to turn off the charge function.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - Our coach has two solar panels. One is the 100W and the other was 10W panel. The 10W was glued directly to the roof, and over the first season, it got so hot up there it fried some of the cells. It caused the battery charger to constantly keep the batteries charged, partially boiling off the electrolyte. I mentioned this once I realized it and Dale Gerstel said that the solar panel was causing this. Since there was no warranty on the little one, I just cut and taped off the leads so it could not cause this problem. It was not regulated as far as I could tell, but it might have been. The regulator is under our bathroom sink and it seems to work fine and so I don’t pay much attention to it unless it should have a charge indication and it dosent, then I wonder why. Maybe it got fried as well, but don’t think so as the manual shows what it is supposed to do and it seems to be doing it.