Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1

I've got a Kwikie single electric step. My coach is 14 months old and this just started this weekend.

I seem to have the most trouble with the electric step while driving. The position of the wall switch doesn't seem to matter either. It's like the step motor became possessed yesterday. It just keeps going in and out over and over again. I looked underneath and all connections look ok.

Just incase it's the switch in the entry door frame (I've got a center entry door) I taped a folded piece of paper infront of the switch on the door frame to be sure the switch was being held in the closed position when the door is closed. That seems to alleviate the problem when parked, but not when moving.

Other than unplug/replug all connections does anyone have any other ideas of what I can check before calling a repair service or finding a dealer?

http://home.earthlink.net/~abclair
abclair77399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #2

I've got a Kwikie single electric step. My coach is 14 months old and this just started this weekend.

I seem to have the most trouble with the electric step while driving. The position of the wall switch doesn't seem to matter either. It's like the step motor became possessed yesterday. It just keeps going in and out over and over again. I looked underneath and all connections look ok.

Just incase it's the switch in the entry door frame (I've got a center entry door) I taped a folded piece of paper infront of the switch on the door frame to be sure the switch was being held in the closed position when the door is closed. That seems to alleviate the problem when parked, but not when moving.

Other than unplug/replug all connections does anyone have any other ideas of what I can check before calling a repair service or finding a dealer?

Old 07-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #3

I would remove the door switch and check it out, check all grounds to make sure they are "solid" and not intermittent, and check the step ON/OFF switch to make sure it is not intermittent.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #4

I had the same problem on a 2005 40FDTS. I shimmed the door jamb switch to fix the problem. Good luck.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #5

Thanks, that's essentially what I did with a folded piece of paper. I only drove 4 miles today from a Flying J to the campground. So when I leave here I'll see if it really has fixed the problem.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #6

We have had a similar problem on both front door and mid-door coaches. It has always been the switch in the door frame. It seems to be just a tad to short. Your paper may not be thick enough. We have ended up taping a penny on the door to push the switch in and it works fine.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
We experienced the same step symptoms with our 2005 FDQS. I removed the door step switch and found that beneath the tape on the switch terminals, the lug screws had been striped and the lugs were free to move about. Road vibration caused the step to go in and out almost continuously. Luck would have it that I had new screws in a 'goody' box. No trouble since then.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
RJF

We experienced the step not coming in situation on our trip back from the East coast in June. We tried shutting all the electrical off to reset it no luck. Jerry had to disengage the step & tie it up when we drove. After returning the switch was replaced under warranty. It took 3 weeks to receive a new one from Kwikee. Three days later the step made a ratcheting noise when the door was closed. I let a tech from Kwikee listen to it. He told me that the company had recieved a batch of soft metal used for the gears. It is being replaced this week.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #9

Amy Clair, my suggestion would be to contact WRV and speak with Mike Glazier or Leslie Willoughby. This sounds like a problem that has happened many more times than once and I would bet that they have a very accurate solution. If the don't, they will definitely get you one. They are good people and will solve your problem in some fashion. They are working very hard to create customer satisfaction.
Ted Ulmer
34' 2005 Alpine

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote