Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Electric brake wire??

I've read a lot of the posts having to do with wiring for a trailer and they all refer to a blue electric brake wire under the dash. Can anyone be more specific as to where to look under the dash? Is there a bundle of wires that go to the trailer connector at the back of the coach?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You should see it if you take the PS Side cover off, its wired in, I don't know if it goes all the way back, but using it you can then see if it does. The end up front would connect to the brake controller in the cockpit area.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
David,

Back when WRV was still answering the phone, they told me to look for, and use SPARE1 OR SPARE2. These wires run from somewhere either in the battery area or engine area all the way up to the front of the firewall (open the generator slide and look for 2 wires not connected to anything on the passenger side and forward of the firewall.)

I found one end of these wires, at the firewall and also laying on my back looking up at the huge wire loom on the ceiling of the basement, but never did find the back end of them! I connected to the SPARE wire in that wire loom in the basement and ran my own wire from the cargo bay back to the rear of the rig.

It's not too big of a project!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
David:

I found the front end of the wires in the same place as Mike, They actually had the words SPARE1 and SPARE2 written on the wire. I found the other end in the wiring loom above the rear differential. I then spliced and continued them on.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Spare1 and 2 are not heavy enough for the brake controller. I found my blue wire just ahead of and to the right of the pedals under the dash. See this post about this subject.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/trai...pex-78888.html
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

Assuming a 2005 and a 2007 Apex are wired the same--oops--bad assumption. It takes about 20 minutes to run a #12 wire from front to back. you will also need to tap into the brake light wiring on the brake boost to activate the controller. Then wire your new #12 "blue wire" into the spare pin on your trailer/toad plug on the back of the coach.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #7

OK, found the front end - under the dash just behind the sliding drawer, 2 wires tied together. A thinner white one with "BRK" stamped on it and a thicker blue one with no markings. Both coming out of a large bundle and have rubberized tips on them. Now to find the one at the back - whoops, I'll let the tech who's wiring the controller find that end. :-)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #8

Regarding my previous post - does anyone know if the white wire I found marked BRK is the one to be used by the trailer brake controller - coming off the "cold" side of the brakelight switch? Can that be tested with a meter by pressing the brake pedal/
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
David:

Mine were equal size, both white and marked SPARE1 and SPARE2. Maybe they changed that along the line. I've not heard of your combination, though. Any wire would work, you just need to find both ends and be sure it isn't tied into anything your not sure of.

Perhaps when Vansco was added and the wiring loom reduced, WRV wanted to still include wires for an auxiliary braking package. It would certainly be easier to equip all the units on the line with a few extra wires than running them only when special equipment orders were received, especially if received mid-build. If one is marked BRK, I'd just check to verify it isn't somehow already tied into the braking system or a Vansco module.

Tags
brake