Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Electric cooktop

Has anyone replaced their gas cooktop with an electric one? If so, what brand and where did you purchase?

The stove is the only thing we have that uses propane. We are thinking of installing an electric cooktop and having that large propane tank removed. It seems such a waste of space, and it will take several years to use that much propane just for the stove. We have HydroHot for heating and water, which we love.

Joel &/or Mary -Orange County,CA
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
If you are successful please let me know, I have had the same thought.

jepeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Electric Cooktop

A few months ago I removed the large propane tank and created a useable storage space. We installed a 7 gallon propane tank for the stove. So far this has worked very well, we are on a 5 month Alaska trip and have not refilled the tank to date. Photos were posted on iRV2. The work was done by Bobby at Kustom Coach Works, Junction City, OR 541-501-3371.
Tom & Nancy Polk

2006 Alpine Apex 40' MDTS
Coin-Op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
The refrigerator uses propane when not connected to power, so that will take some also..a point to ponder
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Melorene View Post
The refrigerator uses propane when not connected to power, so that will take some also..a point to ponder

Not if they have a residential refrigerator.
John & Greta
'05 36' FDDS
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get AC only refrigerators.. IN fact both Dometic and Norcold make 'em for RV use.. There are two types.

1:Standard House Types (Please do not buy LG brand) These consume between 100 and 1000 watts when running

2: Dometic/Norcold "Low power" these work as well as the standard house brands, better than LG, and draw at most a great whomping 50 watts, Usually less

I have a chest freezer, about 1 1/1 the size of the freezer in my Dometic fridge, it draws a grand 36 watts (yes, 3 amps at 12 volt) when running... Runs all night along with the furnace and assorted other stuff on my U-2200's (just 2 of those)

Dometic low power fridge

Now, that said: If you convert to all electric you are limited to 50 amp sites, and may find that's not enough, you may have to kill an air conditioner or two when cooking. I would keep the propane stuff in case you find yourself on a 30 amp site.

That said.. I do use electric as much as possible, I have a single burner electric in the kitchen now and a dual burner in the "Basement" for when it's needed.

I also have an electric Grill... currently in storage... but I may basement it when I get fully orginized. I like my Coleman though too much to make that a priority

The Coleman Grill I have (Also propane) runs off the house tank by means of a Marshall Brass "Extend-a-Stay"

Yes, I know the Extend-a-stay is so you can use an external tank to heat/cook the motor home. but it also has the tap for use of an external grill like the "Extend-a-flow" It does both jobs, and does them very well, it also adds a layer of safety (Excess flow cut off) to the system.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
We have a full-electric residential refrigerator with side freezer. Nice and large, but has pros and cons on being electric only.

Am still looking for an electric cooktop that might work in the space we have for the stove-top and will get rid of the large propane tank. If unable to find electric unit, the suggestion on this forum to change over to a smaller propane tank will be the way we go. Thanks all....
Joel &/or Mary -Orange County,CA
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Sailor Sam's has a number of electric cooktops for RV & Marine use. I am certain you can find something that will fit rather nicely although I have not checked any of the sizes. They do have a fairly decent selection.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club

Have you done a search on electric cook tops? I am sure that this was covered some time ago and I think that a few units were suggested.
Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
We had a 3 burner electric cooktop in our 2004 diesel Meridian yacht to avoid having any propane (fire/explosion issue) on the boat. It was one with cast-iron burner tops, which I would not recommend. They took quite a while to heat and a long time to cool down. When 50 amp was not available we ran the generator and it worked fine. Per Ted's comments, SailorSams.com has a number of ceramic cooktops by Kenyon, Conture, and others that should work fine. They list the dimensions and power usage for each so you can calculate how big you want and how many burners. From what I've seen, these ceramic cooktops can work like residential ceramic and heat quickly as well as cool quickly, as long as you have flat pots and pans.

If we didn't have (and wanted) a residential fridge, and had a Hydro-Hot, we would put one of these electric cooktops in like you're proposing. On our boat, if we had 30 amp available, we could run the cooktop only, no other major electrical applicances, or the breaker would trip. Perhaps the ceramics will work without this issue. The key here is if you can run both air conditioners at the same time as the cooktop, with all burners on, on generator power, and I think you need to calculate the total wattage required to do that before you decide on number of and size of burners.

Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote