Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #1

Everything was fine, then the inverter breaker on the main panel tripped. Didn't think much of it, until, after a while it was tripping about every 5 minutes. The fault message was: "Battery is too low... can't invert... recharge battery".

The status lights indicated the batteries were "full". However, when I reset the inverter breaker, it showed the battery charging at 100 amps. The battery voltage showed 13.2 volts.

We're on 50 amp shore power and the AC usage never went above 25 amps.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea what could be happening?

This is one time an electic-only residential refrigerator is a bad thing. They could have at least put the plug in an accessible place!

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #2

Everything was fine, then the inverter breaker on the main panel tripped. Didn't think much of it, until, after a while it was tripping about every 5 minutes. The fault message was: "Battery is too low... can't invert... recharge battery".

The status lights indicated the batteries were "full". However, when I reset the inverter breaker, it showed the battery charging at 100 amps. The battery voltage showed 13.2 volts.

We're on 50 amp shore power and the AC usage never went above 25 amps.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea what could be happening?

This is one time an electic-only residential refrigerator is a bad thing. They could have at least put the plug in an accessible place!

Old 03-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would recommend you start at the batteries and be sure that all cells are good. Do you have and know how to use a hydrometer? Get one and find out if the cells are all within a close proximity of specific gravity. You may have a battery with a shorted cell. If all cells check good (may be low and need charging but not dead) then you will need to look at the cableing to be sure you do not have a loose or bad connection. If this is good then you go toward the inverter as a source of the problem. I think you will find the problem using this method of troubleshooting. Good luck and let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #4

How is the coach drawing the 25 amps- is it 25 on a single 120V leg? If yes, that draw could be all attributable to the inverter/charger & represent a proper overcurrent instance (cause of breaker tripping) when load spikes a bit.

With the charger on, you are reading charging volts for battery status, not actual batt charge level. So it will always show 'full' when charging, unless the charge voltage is drawn down to a low voltage due to deep discharge. Also, you have to account for surface charge; usually after charging (and sometimes regardless of actual batt condition including dead cells), there is a phony voltage output level from the batts that looks like full charge but isn't; it will die away quickly to true batt volts. W/any minimal draw after charging stops, for ~10-30 min., you'll get a true read on batt charge level. Reading charger voltage & surface charge are two of the quirks of this type of gauge system. Unplug from shore (and after dark if you've got solar), to read the true charge status.

Mike's troubleshooting is right on; gets at the easy to diagnose/easy to reach stuff first & more complicated stuff once the storage condition is verified. Keep in mind that your battery string is only as good as its weakest link; one bad batt will take down the effectiveness of the string; one dead batt will make the whole string problematic.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #5

It was first suggested by Xantrex and Rex at Western RV that I reduce the charging from 100% to 50%. That made the breaker last longer (about 40 minutes) but didn't solve the problem.

I had an RV guy come out and look at the connections in the inverter. Turns out the cables that went out to the batteries were loose. The positive one was barely finger tight and the negative one was almost totally loose. He tightened them up and that seems to have taken care of the problem... so far.

Also, I was advised by Rex that the refrigerator plugs in in the belly on the passenger side behind the panel that contains the furnace and the grey and black tanks. I found that and temporarily plugged the refrigerator directly into shore power.

The charging is down to just a few volts indicating the batteries are charged. I decided that as long as I live I will never understand all the electrical components in this coach! Fortunately, there are forums like this to help me along. Thanks to everyone!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
hf

Solo Rvers Club
I was also having electrical problems traced to the wires from bar to batteries only finger tight problem solved but ate a batery before it was discovered.and took several techs on several diferent occasions. the black panel cover had to come off to get a battery cable off or it may never have been solved.