Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #15

Nope, not age. Taxes.
The IRS keeps telling me it'll get easier & easier. But I think they're looking thru the wrong end of the telescope.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
We are now home and I verified A/C does not come out of the Xantrex. I pulled it and took it to a Xantrex repair guy in Costa Mesa. I should know the damages by Monday. He guessed that it would be around $500, which is better than a new one, for sure.

By the way, I find that I do not bend like I used to.....can't be age, can it
I was worried that my inverter would need repair or replacing but that wasn't the case. I removed the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and it was cooked. Apparently the ground wire was loose and shorted on the hot. I replaced it with a new GFCI Outlet and got power back...what a relief !

Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
I was worried that my inverter would need repair or replacing but that wasn't the case. I removed the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and it was cooked. Apparently the ground wire was loose and shorted on the hot. I replaced it with a new GFCI Outlet and got power back...what a relief !
The Xantrex itself works as an inverter and I get 120v at all the proper outlets. The transfer function did not work.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Nope, not age. Taxes.
The IRS keeps telling me it'll get easier & easier. But I think they're looking thru the wrong end of the telescope.
So, what I did to not have to stand on my head was to remove the sliding drawers that we installed after the washer/dryer was removed. There was still a board at the bottom of the cabinet. Out with a trusty drill and saber saw and now it was easy as pie to work on.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Update

I took the inverter to the guy in Costa Mesa I got off the Xantrex site. His name is Frank and he is a retired engineer.

I installed this AM and all is good. The problem was a blown AC transfer relay, as suggested by Ken. It obviously got pretty hot and burned a pretty good hole in the circuit board. Frank installed a new board. It cost me $432.

I think the relay may have possibly gotten stressed while we were camped in Dawson City. The owner of the campground came around and unplugged all the power lines to the RVs. He said the power company was working on the lines and they lost the neutral and he was seeing 240v at the outlets! We had no issues when the power came back on correctly. It took about three weeks before it failed. Maybe, maybe not?

Thanks all
Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #20

Rich- that's easily possible. Get the owner of the RV park to turn your receipts in to the power company. When that happened to me at a stick house, the power company (PG&E) paid for the damage which was around $1000 for all the blown gadgets & a cheap used fridge. Good case for a surge guard type device.

I'm surprised Xantrex uses a computer board for the xfer relay. You can buy a 120V 30A solid state relay for way cheaper than that. I can see a power analysis type of circuit to "decide" if you are transferring power, but why make the rest of the circuit some non-standard part? Probably why Magnum is taking so much market share.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #21

Mike, with regards to the power company issue, I really cannot prove. If it was dead right there, I would pursue. But I will just be happy with a working inverter.

That switch is on the AC board and looked like it had been designed quite a while ago. There was a large choke on the board, which I assume was there to help with voltage spikes. Heck, it worked fine for 12 years and we are out in it a lot.

When I retired I told myself I would not get mad about things and being half German, that can be difficult at times.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #22

My TV died 2 weeks after the parted neutral incident. PG&E paid. Worth a try for the time it takes. They had a form to fill out, no proof req'd, tho a receipt was appreciated.

Tags
electrical