Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Electrical Problem-Eng Mike any ideas

We are up in Canada. Yesterday we lost part of our AC power, but not everything. I can run all my normal AC appliances on the Inverter, if the batteries are up. Hooked up to shore power and generator I have power to what looks like only one leg of the AC; all the GFI circuits have no power, but the couple of AC outlets are ok on generator and shore power. The air conditioners run on generator and shore power. The GFI circuits are ok on inverter, if the batteries are up. Kinda sounds like my Transfer Switch may have lost one circuit? I replaced it some years back with a Parallax Power Components ATS 5070 series. In looking at the schematics for the 2001, it looks like the circuit denoted Gen Purp/Convection is the circuit in question.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a combo inverter/converter?
Does it keep the batteries charged?

Do you have an EMS, and when plugged into 50 amps, does it show you have 50 amps?
If mine only see's one leg, it indicates 30 amps. Also, everything (except the second A/C) still works.

I'm thinking your inverter/converter is sensing shore power (and rightly turning off the inverter function), but is not passing the incoming A/C thru to the inverter circuits as it should.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Rich & Cork- I think you've doped it out fairly close. Could be one set of contacts in the contactor are burnt, so the relay closes but the char on the contacts keeps if from making a proper connection. Pretty sure the contactors are all built so all legs operate as a block, so if you have one leg then the other has tried to contact also. If you have a volt meter, check the non-working outlets; if your diagnosis & mine are correct there should be a small number of volts on the 'dead' outlets, way under 120V.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Mike, thanks. I guess I will have to remove "stuff" from the compartment to get to it and take it apart to see if I can get to the contacts.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I would go more with what JimM68 says. All Alpines that I know of, have each air conditioner on a different leg of the AC. Are all of the things that have no power, when on shore or gen power, the same things that work when on the inverter?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a thought. Ohm out the power cord to make sure it is not resistive. If the cord is bad sometimes you can feel that the cord near the connector is warm.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

There is a power transfer relay built into the inverter that will give you the symptoms you are describing. Since both air conditioners are working that eliminates the coach's power transfer assembly. I would check the 120VAC input to the inverter and its 120VAC output.

Sometimes this can be fixed by doing a reset on the inverter (from the inverter itself, not from the remote-if you have one).

Ken Tarkin
34' Limited.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #8

I think Ken nailed it. As Dale pointed out, w/2 AC's running that indicates the main (240V, 2 leg) xfer switch is working. Inverted 120V out from inverter is working, I believe that is on the #2-out leg of the inverter's (120V 1 leg) xfer switch. When hooking up to shore or gen, the inverter's xfer should jump to its #1 leg out which is a pass-thru only of incoming 120V, and feeds all the same circuits as inverted 120V. Sounds like jump to #1 leg out of inverter xfer switch is not working.
Good work Ken.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
My Alpine is doing it too. The bedroom outlets are dead and the dining and living area also are dead. None of my breakers popped and the Inverter breakers are OK too. The GFCI in the bathroom will not test right...seems stuck.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
EM is correct, there is an electronic transfer switch in the inverter if goes bad you will lose all the circuits on powered by the inverter. All of the other circuits will work if you connected to 120 volt power source. The inverter must be repaired or replaced. This happened on my 2001 Alpine and a new inverter cured the problem.

If no replacement inverter is available you can bypass the inverter to power all of the outlets from an external 120 volt source, Generator or from a campground. You will lose the charger and dry camping ability.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

IIRC (&IRD), the internal xfer switch on the Xantrex 2000 is replaceable (haven't found reference in searches here on iRV2). I asked Rusty Bear to take his smoker apart (he's in the process of installing a Magnum 2812, and has the X2000 on the bench) and see if there is a Square-D or Cutler-Hammer part# for the xfer switch part within the X2000. If anybody else has that info, please post. Thx.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I have not had a good opportunity to do any troubleshooting......we have been off the net for the last bit of time in Jasper and Banff. What I have been doing is running a 10amp charger on my batteries to keep them up in campgrounds and minimizing use of the 110v stuff. Ken and Mike, I will spend some more time on the inverter when I get the chance. I may even wait until we get home over the next two weeks.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
EM is correct, there is an electronic transfer switch in the inverter if goes bad you will lose all the circuits on powered by the inverter. All of the other circuits will work if you connected to 120 volt power source. The inverter must be repaired or replaced. This happened on my 2001 Alpine and a new inverter cured the problem.

If no replacement inverter is available you can bypass the inverter to power all of the outlets from an external 120 volt source, Generator or from a campground. You will lose the charger and dry camping ability.
After I fixed a leak in the water heater my Wife plugged in a blow dryer to help dry the bedroom carpet near the closet...thats when the power went dead !
I checked all the breakers including the inverter(Onan 2000) breakers. The charger is still working but the Bathroom GFCI won't test. I hope my replacing the outlet will solve the problem.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #14

We are now home and I verified A/C does not come out of the Xantrex. I pulled it and took it to a Xantrex repair guy in Costa Mesa. I should know the damages by Monday. He guessed that it would be around $500, which is better than a new one, for sure.

By the way, I find that I do not bend like I used to.....can't be age, can it

Tags
electrical