Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From reading the new thread, it seems that we should never have a chassis battery drain problem when hooked to shore power if all wires are hooked up properly. We should not have to disconnect the chassis batteries. Is this correct?

Beverly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that is correct. When connected to shore power, the system should regularly charge your chassis batteries. Your chassis batteries get charged after your house batteries finish charging.

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #44

Audrey and John,

Thanks for your reply. We finally got our coach from the shop today. We feel it is now too late in the year to go to WA, so will wait until Spring for our bits and pieces to be done at the factory.

We are so displeased with the place we took our MH for the tow bar system. They made a mess which we will straighten out. We have had it there since Aug. 21 for a simple job of installing brakes for the tow vehicle plus the tow bar system.

They installed the selonoid, drilled holes, etc. which E Mike said was not necessary. Will report if everything works okay. We are headed out tomorrow for Oklahoma to visit relatives. Don't think we'll go any farther, as we need to be home soon after the middle of Oct.

To everybody, thanks for your help.

Beverly and Buddy

Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #45

On mine on the black plate where solenoid, fuses, etc. are mounted, there are two pre-punched holes near the bottom edge. The OEM solenoid was mounted ~1/2" above those in two holes drilled by the installer, maybe to move the solenoid up a bit, or more probably to use self-threading screws rather than nuts that would be impossible to access on back of plate. The mounting slots on FatBoy fit neatly w/the OEM solenoid screws so I just reused them.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #46

I bought a new 04 triple slide and from day one have had battery problems,at one point i dropped off my Alpine at the service agency on Sunday, on Tuesday the service company called and asked if I "had disconncected something in the coach because it would not start".
I have made several requests for help from WRV but I can not even get a call back from Mark to assist in this issue.
Finally after over a year, of course now there is no warranty,I replaced the batteries at my own expense and after spending a weekend in Big Bear with no hook ups have had no problems at all.
I did notice though when I replaced my batteries that my auto fill system is in-operative,when I push the button to fill the batteries the float comes to the top and does not fill the battery cell. I quess this is another issue I" ll have to address on my own.

2004 40FDTS
JUST TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #47

Just Tom,
Check the float length. There was a rash of 05 coaches with the wrong floats installed. There is a detailed thread on this forum about how to check them.
Battery fill system error discovered
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #48

WAYNE,THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ON THE EARLIER ISSUES ABOUT THE AUTO FILL FLOATS. I READ THE FORUM LETTERS AND FOUND OUT ABOUT THE DIFFERENT FLOAT LENGTHS AND MY FLOATS WERE TOO LONG. I contacted Dave at WRV today and he is sending me the correct floats. Again THANK YOU!!!

2004 40FDTS
JUST TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #49

Just thought I'd let you know that we have been dry camping for a week, and the new solenoid seems to have corrected our problems. Also, when hooked to shore power, we left the chassis disconnect switch on for a week to see if our coach still would start, and it did.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 10-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #50

Buddy & Beverly

It certainly is nice to hear a success story know & then
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #51

WOOHOO! I love it when the solenoid works!

Audrey
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #52

Audrey, does John agree with this analogy or is he still assessing the situation?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
Ted, Audrey most likely has no idea what "John" is saying... as his voice is very muffled from inside the mattress. But at least the poor guy probably stays warm and cozy-- until she needs the extra chairs.

Norm
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #54

On the White-Rogers "FatBoy" there are 4 screws on top. They hold the fixed part of the coil relative to the inside of the bakelite case. They have some kind of orange seal around the heads, and the heads are recessed into the top part of the case. If one of those seals isn't perfect, the unit can breathe in vapor when it cools. If you have this type of solenoid, I'd recommend "potting" the screw head recesses by filling them with epoxy. I'd do this after heating the gizmo to ~130? then allowing it to cool to room temp in a dry area.
Mine butted out after only a coupla months in service with pitted & oxidized main contacts. WRV said that was the first they had ever seen of that failure, so I sent them the unit for inspection.

WRV is now using a Trombetta solenoid that I think is a better design, with a case that splits at the bottom & coil studs at the bottom (vs coil & contact studs both @ top) for easier wiring. The new FatBoy is the unit shown in the upper right of the photo at the bottom of the link, and has the following markings:
114-121-020
12V/Cont (for continuous rating)
I have no idea where to buy one ITRW; simplest way to get one is purchase a new Apex.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #55

EMike- WOW, I'm impressed. You must have had the new eye surgery. I can't read the numbers on that solinoid even when I enlarge the picture!
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #56

htg- I think it was the last software upgrade on my cochlear implants; somehow got partially corsswired during the install. I can now see better than, well ever, except when the software hangs up and I get the blue screen of death