Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #1

We were dry camping with the Alpine group at the rally in Charlotte when we developed electrical problems. Generator started surging and went dead. It could not be restarted with the switch. Engine would not start even with the booster. Once the transmission light on the left of driver's seat came on. House batteries showed fully charged, but they were not. Lights on all electronics (microwave, tvs, etc.) blinked because of low voltage. Plugs ins could not be used. Three new coaches on the demo lot and another coach with our group had similar problems. Alpine tech thought it was surge guard related, and an engineer and tech from Surge Guard flew up from Florida. All units had self corrected and weren't exhibiting the problems when they checked. Ours messed up again after a few hours. We had to hook a battery charger to a neighboring coach and recharge our chassis battery to get engine started.

Guess this problem has existed awhile because our chassis battery has gone dead after only parking two and three nights even when hooked to shore power. We thought we needed to disconnect chassis battery EVERY time we stopped, no matter for how long. At the Rally, we learned this was not so.

We have an appointment at the factory for Oct. 4, for this and some minor issues (tv not working, etc.) to be looked at. However, I wondered if any of you had had these same electrical problems when dry camping. We had been using campgrounds and did not realize we had the problem. Sure are glad we went to the Rally!

Any comments would be appreciated, whether or not you have had a similar problem.

Beverly and Buddy
'06 36' FDDS
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #2

We were dry camping with the Alpine group at the rally in Charlotte when we developed electrical problems. Generator started surging and went dead. It could not be restarted with the switch. Engine would not start even with the booster. Once the transmission light on the left of driver's seat came on. House batteries showed fully charged, but they were not. Lights on all electronics (microwave, tvs, etc.) blinked because of low voltage. Plugs ins could not be used. Three new coaches on the demo lot and another coach with our group had similar problems. Alpine tech thought it was surge guard related, and an engineer and tech from Surge Guard flew up from Florida. All units had self corrected and weren't exhibiting the problems when they checked. Ours messed up again after a few hours. We had to hook a battery charger to a neighboring coach and recharge our chassis battery to get engine started.

Guess this problem has existed awhile because our chassis battery has gone dead after only parking two and three nights even when hooked to shore power. We thought we needed to disconnect chassis battery EVERY time we stopped, no matter for how long. At the Rally, we learned this was not so.

We have an appointment at the factory for Oct. 4, for this and some minor issues (tv not working, etc.) to be looked at. However, I wondered if any of you had had these same electrical problems when dry camping. We had been using campgrounds and did not realize we had the problem. Sure are glad we went to the Rally!

Any comments would be appreciated, whether or not you have had a similar problem.

Beverly and Buddy
'06 36' FDDS
Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

I, too, have an 06 and had similar problems. Have had to replace the selnoid in battery compartment (2 times). Call Mike Glazier (866 567 4133) at the factory. He knows which one to send. In the meantime, you can use jumpers from coach to chassis, positive to positive (they share a common ground) or if connected to electricity, use a charger on chassis. If you are going to be away from the coach, I suggest you shut off the chassis batteries. If not driven, and problem not solved, will go dead in about 3 days if left turned on. Gary
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #4

Thanks Lundy. Guaranty RV techs helped us get started. They said the selnoid was upside down. I did call Mike Glazier; he said he didn't think it was upside down, but might be the wrong one. Actually, our coach batteries were almost dead also, so we couldn't jump start. Guaranty techs think we might have two separate issues. We do have the same problem with chassis batteries going dead within three days if not disconnected. Other Alpine owners out there--is this typical?

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #5

We have 17.5K miles on this coach and have not encountered this type of electrical problem.
05FDQS
BTF
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 AM   #6

Beverly & Buddy, sorry to hear about your electrical problem. I am amazed that the WRV people did not have at least a dozen of the heavy duty solenoid with them. Regardless the P/N is 24059-08 made by Cole Hersee. Large automotive parts supply houses should carry it or possible truck parts supply. I believe this will solve your problem. Mike Glazier should definitely have them in stock at the factory. If you have any problem getting one I can get you a source very quickly. I believe Engineer Mike has a source also. I am amazed that WRV has not replaced them on the new units as the old one is truly useless. Just as a precaution I carry an extra solenoid and an extra water pump.

It certainly was a pleasure meeting with you folks. It sure is nice to put a face to a letter. Please keep in touch as I think we can all help each other for sure.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #7

Ted and others who responded to my post, "Thank you." Ted, sounds like you have had this problem, too. Thanks for the information. Now, isn't there something causing the selenoid to go bad? What do you think it is?

Ted, yes it was nice to meet you and Carol at the pre-rally. Like you, I really appreciate this site.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

Buddy & Beverly, as I understand it the original solenoid was to light in capacity to handle the load. The new one is a heavy duty solenoid designed for this type of load.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #9

Here are a coupla threads that cover electrical problems and the charging solenoid:
Didn't Start
Gen & Engine don't Like each other
Good luck, & post more specifics if you figure anything out.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:46 AM   #10

Ted III, Thanks for the infor. and number of the selenoid. Buddy has gone in today to try to get one.

E-Mike, Thanks for the threads. I made a printout of the complete postings. We'll study them and see what seems to apply to us.

Will post results. We have the Oct. 4 date with the factory which we hope to keep to get other matters taken care of even if the selenoid solves the electrical problems.
It would be nicer having the electrical problems solved before we head west. We may need to dry camp somewhere.

I assume the elect. works okay on shore power. Actually, we haven't tried it since the problem at the Rally in Charlotte.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Our chassis batteries were too drained to start our '06 34FDDS after 3 days (plugged in to shore power) on our maiden shake down cruise about a year ago. Had to jump from house batts to start. The factory changed the solenoid with another of the old style, and it's been fine.....until last week. I think I'm getting early warning signs of another failure as the warning beep went off and gauges showed 11.6 volts after I started a few days ago, after again being plugged into to shore power for a few days. Then, everything is fine after the alternator starts the charge. I checked the chassis batts with a volt meter after two days at my current location (plugged in) and they show over 13 volts, so I'm probably in that intermittent early failure stage.

Funny, but I also notice the fan noise (vibration?) from the converter changing pitch slightly all the time, which is a new situation. I don't know if it's a related symptom.

I'll be asking for one of the new larger solenoids when I get home.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #12

Buddy was not able to get a solenoid today. We have the MH up at a repair facility having a tow bar and brake system installed on the coach and our toad. Buddy took a printout of these posts up, and the service manager said she would get the solenoid and install it. Hope this solves the problem. Thanks for all your help.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #13

Buddy & Beverly, I looked back through my records and one of the sources I had for the solenoid was Fisheries Supply Inc., 1900 N. Northlake way # 10, Seattle, Wa. 98103
Phone: 800 426-6930, reg # 206-632-4462.
I can't remember but I am quite certain that this was the source that Engineer Mike located.
When I bought it in 12/05 it was $ 38.53. This is my spare as Mike or Dave @ WRV sent me the original upgrade.As I said I am amazed that WRV did not have a dozen or more with them at Charlotte. Somebody really missed the boat on that.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #14

Ted,

Yes, if all the problems on all the coaches (incl. the three they had for sale) turns out to be just the solenoid, what a waste having an engineer and tech from Surge Guard fly up from Florida in a corporate jet. It does look like someone would have called WRV in Wash. and found that this was a common problem and at least tried the solenoid as a solution first. The Alpine tech didn't mention solenoid at all. The Guaranty RV techs did. They had evidently had experience working on these coaches with this problem.

Sure hope this solves our problem. We obviously needed the heavier solenoid anyway.

Thank to everybody for all their posts. I will keep you informed.

Beverly and Buddy