Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #1

Our '99 has the standard (at the time)2-8D batteries. One for coach and the other for chassis. We have the Heart 2000 inverter. If the Heart charges the coach battery, what charges the chassis battery? Also in this system are 2 solar cells. Which battery do they charge? I ask these questions because while the coach was at Cummins for 6-7 weeks, the chassis battery became discharged to the point a jump was required to start it so I could take it home. Our coach does not have the "battery boost" option. When the coach is not being used it is hooked to shore power.
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #2

Our '99 has the standard (at the time)2-8D batteries. One for coach and the other for chassis. We have the Heart 2000 inverter. If the Heart charges the coach battery, what charges the chassis battery? Also in this system are 2 solar cells. Which battery do they charge? I ask these questions because while the coach was at Cummins for 6-7 weeks, the chassis battery became discharged to the point a jump was required to start it so I could take it home. Our coach does not have the "battery boost" option. When the coach is not being used it is hooked to shore power.
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #3

I had an early oo model. I think they were the same. I suspect because you normally have a shore power line charging the batteries you did not realize that the chassis battery was bad. And when the coach was allowed to sit uncharged for 6 weeks the battery just went dead. Also the solar charger cannot charge a bad battery. Just my guess. Also if I have my coach disconnected for a long time I always turn the battery disconnect switch to off. I find there are too many ways for the battery to go dead from some small load like a few LED light or something similiar.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #4

My '99 is the same way. Consequently, I will be installing a battery parallel switch so the engine can be started from the fully charged 8D house batteries if necessary.
In order to keep the wiring simple, the 'hot' lead of the house battery will go to one side of the relay and the other side will go to the 'hot' lead of the chassis battery. Actuation of the solenoid will be by running a 'hot' lead from the house battery to 1 terminal and a momentarily switched ground to the other. That way I only have to run 1 wire. A 200 Amp relay can be bought for $42.00, which should be plenty for starting an easily started engine, which, fortunately, mine is. BTW, the relay is what Fleetwood and Winnebago use for their "Emergency" start purpose.

I'll also be doing a few other things to make the beast more 'Driver-friendly'.
1. A DPST switch to energize the Cruise or Pac-Brake. That way they can't both be powered at the same time (Cruise on = Pac-brake off/Pac-brake on = Cruise off).
2. Rocker switch for the heated mirrors (rather than that stupid little toggle switch).
3. Red blinking LED to indicate mirror heat is on and to remind me to turn it off.
4. Green LED to indicate "Economy" mode is active (I can't see the LED on the pad while I'm driving).
5. Yellow LED to indicate Pac-brake is active.

I guess I've been around big boats too long and like to 'Tinker'.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote