Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #15

I'm going in to check all connections on the transfer switch...my complaint is noise a annoying buzz when hooked up to shore power.
I need to mention we had 3 wires in the 120ac panel melt down and shut off all the "general purpose" outlets....common wires(3) going to the common buss had come loose and didn't alway trip the break but would shut things down at bad times i.e.Super Bowl Game. Finally, the smell of burnt wire insulation led us to the fix.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Rreich:

Check to see if that annoying buzz is from the sound system. I finally found my buzz by toggling between the audio sound and video sound on my DHS surround system. It may be the same for whatever system you have.

I hear the buzz on video, when plugged in to shorepower, and even then only at certain parks.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #17

Thanks for the reply, we just had all the tv's,audio "stuff" replaced(updated) and still had that "buzz" during hook-up with shorepower, so after reading up here and at a couple other rv forums, I crawled into the cargo bay, pulled the cover on the transfer switch-checked connections(after seeing the photo's in earlier posts), cleaned the contacts....no change. I did notice the box was bolted directly to the subflooring, so I installed 4 simple rubber gromets which helped alot. Another little issue we were having (which turned out to add to the first issue) only during shorepower hook up we had an "open neutral" - "hot to neutral rev" which gave us the "Hot Skin" syndrome. I thought the transfer switch was the problem-after 2 days crawling in and under the coach I found the shorepower recptacle's ground (when originally installed)missed the screw down clamp. Once the shorepower was grounded, I wasn't shocked anymore, the contactor in the transfer switch didn't chatter as much. So, we just enjoyed a quite outing.
In all my research, I did find that if I have the Xantrex inverter on and plugged into shorepower, I will trip certain GFCI recpt. Just have to make sure it's off (not charging batteries). This forum is a great source of information!!! Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Rreich:

You ought to investigate the tripping GFIs a bit more. They work quite simply and are a true safety issue.

They occasionally have a bad spring inside and need replaced, but usually only trip if there is a short, slow-short, loose connection or bleed-off of power somewhere. It should be easy to trace down.

<LI>Check first that the wiring entering and leaving the panel is correctly connected and wired (hot, neutral, ground).
<LI> Then check to see if it arrives at the GFI outlet correctly.
<LI>Then replace the outlet with a new one and re-test for the condition. Make sure to temporarily disconnect any loads that are hardwired into the outlet.
<LI>If it still fails, there is some type of short between the outlet and the panel.
<LI>If it does not fail, reconnect whatever was hardwired into the load side of the outlet, verify the failure. If it does, continue to whatever the wiring goes to. The culprit is there, down the line.

I'd guess that the problem is/was reversed wiring based on you finding other reversals. Continuing trips will wear out the GFI outlets and they may need replacement.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #19

True to all those check points you mentioned, let me add a twist....we trip the gfi's in our house circuit and if I turn off the inverter we're good but as soon (few seconds) I turn on the inverter- the gfi trips (even a inline gfi extention cord). I went to some site after goggling Xantrex inverters- and found there might be a problem with a few gfi that are sensitive to the "wave" output of that inventer. Now one RV'r mentioned checking the water heater element as it might be on it's last leg, this I haven't done....was hoping someone else has been around this block and would shed some light on the gfi occurance.