Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Emergency Brake ?

can you pull the parking brake in the event of brake failure to get the motorhome stopped ? 2000 Alpine Coach
dragrace728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Short answer is yes. Assume you have air brakes?
There is a lengthy thread on this subject in the past week. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

it has 4 wheel hydraulic brakes with air parking brake Allison trans with the driveshaft brake.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

I would - but the parking brake on my 2001 Alpine doesn't have a lot of stopping power. Gearing down and PAC brake helps.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, once, then add it to the list of stuff that will need to be fixed.

In an emergency you use anything and everything available. The assembly isn't all the big and can quickly over heat but it will slow you down to a point where other options might become available to help fully stop the coach.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a post that began as air pressure in tires and ended up being about air brakes being engaged during travel. It may answer your question.

You can also use the search feature to find more discussions

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/air-...-275131-3.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

A driveshaft brake drum is spinning 4 to 6 times faster, thru the differential gears, then your wheel brake rotors or drums, and it's smaller.

It's hold is 4 to 5 times better too.

For parking and emergency use only.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

dragrace728, the link below may help you understand how the parking brake on an Alpine function. As others have commented, in an emergency use whatever means you have available to get your coach under control. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/park...ke-246342.html
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies and advice, i had a small problem with brake drag and low pedal on the way here. I feel a lot better driving home from the mountains tomorrow...i found low brake fluid and low hydraulic fluid...
Old 08-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrace728 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice, i had a small problem with brake drag and low pedal on the way here. I feel a lot better driving home from the mountains tomorrow...i found low brake fluid and low hydraulic fluid...
Can't hurt to fill the reservoirs. In fact I would for sure before you "drive home from the mountains".
Old 08-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

Alpine park brake will stop the coach eventually. It'll come on but slip if you are at speed.

If you are just coasting at a mph or two, it'll slam on hard & your wife will let you know precisely how she feels about that but good.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Alpine park brake will stop the coach eventually. It'll come on but slip if you are at speed.

If you are just coasting at a mph or two, it'll slam on hard & your wife will let you know precisely how she feels about that but good.

Just remind her what the alternative was, won't help but it might make you feel better.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake