Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

emergency exit windows

I have mentioned in passing in a previous post, that I have a broken window on the drivers side behind the couch. I am getting ready to replace it, and I was looking at it, in order to get a handle on how to remove the frame. That looks like a complicated job, as the window blind would need to come out first, to access the top screws, and so on and so on. But then, I noticed the "EXIT" sticker on the broken section. Now I'm wondering if that section will just pop out, without removing the whole frame...but I do
n't quite see how that would happen.
The window behind the couch is long, and the aft half slides, while the foreward half is fixed, and it's the front section that is broken; (outside part only). The frame, however is one piece, and if necessary, the whole frame would have to come out to accesss the front half, unless......
Any words of wisdom out there about how these windows/frames are constructed?
Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First, see if the fixed window can be removed by removing the sliding pane and then releasing the fixed pane of glass. Perhaps the verticle metal strip holding the seal between the two glass panes needs to also be removed.

To remove the whole window, most likely the blind will have to be removed to access the screws. Most windows have a flange sealed with butyl rubber tape against the outside wall. The inside flange is screwed into the outside frame and holds the window by many screws from the inside flange into the outside window frame. Remove all but one or two screws, then have someone outside to 'catch' the window from falling to the ground as the last screws are removed and you push on the frame from the inside.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dudley, almost all the windows I have seen removed do not “fall out” but being prepared is always a good idea. Most likely you will need to help the window once all the screws are removed, the pro shops have a padded crow bar type device with a wide blade to pry the window out, the butyl tape only releases under pressure. Be sure to get a good seal when you reinstall it so you do not have water leaks.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Maybe you all missed my point. I realize what will be involved worst case, but the
"EXIT" section must pop out some way easy, and quick, otherwise, why call it an exit,
obviously for use in an emergency? If that's not the case, why bother to mark it? Just take something heavy and break out the window of choice. I have the original owners manual, and nowhere in it does it say anything about windows, emergency or otherwise. An oversight I would say....
I would like to get the inner piece out without being broken, so it can be used as a pattern. We have a local glass co. here that I do business with, and they can get me a new window if they have the pattern.
Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
My "Exit" window is the passenger side bedroom. It does not come out of the frame it just slides open and is large enough most people could exit that way. Maybe you exit window is different.
To remove individual sliders or fixed panes out of the frame can be tough and requires complete disassembly of the frame.
-Remove frame ring with many screws from inside of coach. Window frame is likely stuck into wall opening with seal/adhesive but don't drop window frame if it should be loose. Screws can be removed with shades taken down and window boxes still in place.
-Gently pry frame and window assembly out of opening. Get help because frames and windows are heavier than you may think.
-remove screws at the splice plate where the frame is joined and remove screws that attach the ends of the pane divider bars.
-Pry and spread the outer frame to get the glass out of the channel insided the aluminum frame. This can be very difficult on the smaller window frames.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I've not seen a window in the front part of an RV marked or designated as an emergency exit. Any larger sliding window can be an exit by pushing out or sliding the screen. Most emergency exits have a red latch or lever that frees the window so it can be tilted up and out of the way. My emergency exit window is labeled as such and has a red lever that I periodically exercise and make sure the window opens and functions as an emergency exit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Our 2001 Alpine 38ft FDDS has a labeled emergency window with the red handles on the driver side over the dinette. And a second exit in the bedroom.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #8

Thanks for all the posts. I'm beginning to think that they meant for the "EXIT"label to be on the slider part. There is no red latch on this window, and I guess that in a hurry, most people could get out from the sliding part. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember the Kaiser vehicles of the late forties/early fifties. One of their selling points was that in a head-on collision, the windshield was designed to just pop out upon sharp contact with a persons head, perhaps saving serious injury. I was thinking that perhaps this side window worked in the same fashion. I'm no doubt wrong, but it was a thought, and probably a good idea. So, no free lunch; I guess I'll just have to dismantle the whole damn thing.
Dudley Do-Right, '06Alpine40MDTS
Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dudley, the window with the red handles is the emergency exit. You turn the handles and the complete window swings out from the bottom, the top has the hinge so it can open all the way. It is best to have a “stick” to prop it open, that makes it easier to exit
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

There's always the just pay somebody to do it repair sometimes they are well worth saving the headache
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window