Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, DrDaveMA, but I feel the very term SOB to be a very pejorative term and rather insulting. I've run across the same attitude on the Newmar forum by some individuals who act like their manufacturer does things in a unique and superior way from other builders. At least they're still in business, but I'm not convinced their brand is all that unique.

What I and Skip did was try to help. Maybe you think we can't because we don't own an Alpine, but I grew up on a boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Some boat owners had the same thing, people with Chris Craft or Trojan yachts couldn't help a Matthews or Trumpy owner with a problem. It wasn't true in the '60's about boats and it's not true about RVs today. In fact when I did service or maintenance on a boat I wasn't supposed to know the unique way that particular builder did something, I usually charged them more for my time because of their snotty attitude.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sorry, DrDaveMA, but I feel the very term SOB to be a very pejorative term and rather insulting. I've run across the same attitude on the Newmar forum by some individuals who act like their manufacturer does things in a unique and superior way from other builders. At least they're still in business, but I'm not convinced their brand is all that unique.

What I and Skip did was try to help. Maybe you think we can't because we don't own an Alpine, but I grew up on a boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Some boat owners had the same thing, people with Chris Craft or Trojan yachts couldn't help a Matthews or Trumpy owner with a problem. It wasn't true in the '60's about boats and it's not true about RVs today. In fact when I did service or maintenance on a boat I wasn't supposed to know the unique way that particular builder did something, I usually charged them more for my time because of their snotty attitude.

Bob, Sorry you feel you are getting a snotty attitude (your words, not mine) if you look carefully at my posting you will see in the last sentence I state you were correct in your assessment, no one has tried to berate you.

WRV did in fact do things in unique ways (not necessarily superior, again your words) and owners of other brands are not always aware of them, causing troubleshooting to get side tracked.

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Having owned three different DP's (Safari, Foretravel and now the Alpine) I can say that the term SOB was used universally by each group as Some Other Brand.

Not a derogatory term, but merely a statement that it IS Some Other Brand.

Brett
2003 38FDDS
Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #18

In over 25 years monitoring and participating in various RV chat rooms, blogs, owners forums, etc. I have never noticed the term SOB, relating to brands of RVs, used in a pejorative sense. We all should realize, what it is, just typical "short cut" in writing.

Tags
dash, light