Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Question ENG MAINT dash light, Reset?

The battery issue made the ENG MAINT light come on. Shop said it was due to the low voltage. From what I have read, it means no immediate danger.
I forgot to ask the shop when she was in.

How do I reset so light goes out now that battery issue has been corrected?

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Many ECUs will reset after a number of restarts without the issue that triggered the light. If you have an ODB II scanner, they can usually reset codes. An auto parts store can read the code and often reset the code when proven you don't need a part from them to repair the engine.

One that hooks up to your port and connects either through WiFi or Bluetooth to a smart phone or tablet can be found for under $20.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

On most vehicles, including RVs, disconnecting the battery will reset most, if not all, errors stored in the ECU. So, if you don't have a code reader that resets the light, you might try throwing the engine battery disconnect and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes to see if it turns the maint light off.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks. Both house (inside door) and Chassis (rear bay door) switches were turned off on Friday when she was parked. I am going today to start her up. I'll reply with hopefully good news.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Sometimes the ECU is wired around the battery isolation switch to maintain settings in the computer. You could also try taking the cable off the battery post to reset the ECU.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

Gas or diesel ???

Some gas vehicle maintenance lights are reset , by slowly ( with key on and engine NOT running) pushing the gas pedal to full throttle 3 times . Then key off and then start engine.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Gas or diesel ???

Some gas vehicle maintenance lights are reset , by slowly ( with key on and engine NOT running) pushing the gas pedal to full throttle 3 times . Then key off and then start engine.

Skip, all Alpines are Cummins diesels.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #8

Yesterday afternoon, started right up, no light!

Thanks for the reply's.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Skip, all Alpines are Cummins diesels.

NOTE TO SELF : Carefully re-read all posts before responding !
Old 07-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
NOTE TO SELF : Carefully re-read all posts before responding !
Nah, that would make you too different from all the folks that post the exact same information already given a post or two earlier. Also, it would really help if posters asking an engine question would specify what engine they need advice about.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
This is the Alpine Coach forum. All Alpines have Cummins Diesels. If responders would look at which forum the question is posted in, requests for engine information would only be asked when needed.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
This is the Alpine Coach forum. All Alpines have Cummins Diesels. If responders would look at which forum the question is posted in, requests for engine information would only be asked when needed.
Pardon me for interjecting, but Alpine seems to have been built for about 10 years, from 1998 to 2008. Over that time period, Cummins went from 5.9 ISB mechanical engines to 8.3 ISC, 6.7 ISB, and so forth.

Giving a few details as to exactly what platform is causing your issues would only be courteous. I personally don't look at the forum the poster has chosen, I look at the problem they're having. All the suggestions given for reseting a ECU warning light were valid.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post

Jeff/Cheryl, unfortunately you have to take every response to a posting with a grain of salt. SOB's respond trying to assist, but if they are not familiar with the way WRV did things you can get lead astray, they mean well, but if the are not familiar with Alpines..... Many times it does not matter, but sometimes it can be a real rat hole. I appreciate their comments, but sometimes you have to sort out the relevance. You also have former Alpine owners that have purchased something new so you may not be able to tell the extent of their knowledge from their signature block.

You are exactly right, many folks respond, not knowing postings go two places, under our "Alpine" forum AND "Recent postings" as well as "Participated" if they have previously responded, so folks other than Alpine forum readers see the postings and try to help without knowing the unique aspects to Alpines.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Pardon me for interjecting, but Alpine seems to have been built for about 10 years, from 1998 to 2008. Over that time period, Cummins went from 5.9 ISB mechanical engines to 8.3 ISC, 6.7 ISB, and so forth.

Giving a few details as to exactly what platform is causing your issues would only be courteous. I personally don't look at the forum the poster has chosen, I look at the problem they're having. All the suggestions given for reseting a ECU warning light were valid.

Bob, while Cummins did have multiple engines during the WRV build, they did not use all the models Cummins offered. I know the OP was not being discourteous, it is assumed that folks posting on the Alpine forum know the vehicle or are nice enough to add a disclaimer to their posting. When I jump on another forum I will start with, "I don't know your coach, but you might try.........." This problem is not unique to the Alpine forum, it applies to many other specific forums when owners of some other brand (SOB's) try to assist.

Alpine owners will normally jump on to ask a poster to add information that is specifically required. We appreciate postings from SOB's but take the information with a grain of salt. WRV did some things in unique ways, and folks can get lead down a rat hole if the problem is related to one of those special cases. In this case, as you have pointed out, the fixes suggested were all valid possibilities, it did not matter that WRV used different engines over the 10 years.

Tags
dash, light