Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Eng Maint Light

Had a Engin Maint light and a Stop Engine light come on on my 8.3 330 hp Cummins when arriving at our winter destination.Traced the Engine Stop light to a leaking lift pump. Replaced the lift pump and the Engine Stop light has gone away but the Engin Maint light is still on. I have removed the battery cables from the engine batteries for several minutes and then reconnected hoping that that would reset the Engin Maint light but it is still on. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Hi: Do you get a code from the Maint lite? That is, does the lite blink in a code fashion?
I had turned off my coach disconnect sw on a SOB and it generated a code that Cummins could decipher.
Hope that helps.
Bob
roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

No, I get no blinking light that might be associated with a code. What is on a SOB?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Some Other Brand.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

I had a similar experience when I had a loose electrical connection at the main positive binding post for the battery cables, and while all the electrical appeared to work, the starter wouldn't turn over the engine. I found and corrected the connection issue, but then the Check Engine and Stop Engine lights came on and wouldn't go off, no matter how long I disconnected batteries. I then arranged to drive the coach to a shop where they would attempt to read the OBD2 type information from the engine computer, and attempt to reset the faults.

As it turned out, when I started the engine, put it in gear, and attempted to move the coach, it was very sluggish, like it was in "Limp Mode". But, when I put a little more pressure on the accelerator pedal and it started to move, suddenly the engine picked up and responded and all the lights went out. Problem solved. Never did get to the shop, no need. All has been fine since.

Hope this solution works for you.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

John- on the Actia gauge coaches, the engine computer's sensed voltage shows on the little window under the speedometer (Actia calls this the Message Center). I'd expect in the case you describe to have a warning message in the Message Center showing Low Voltage, maybe even a flashing message.

Probably not on earlier coaches, but certainly a good practice to always check the 12V connections. On Alpines w/the hot stud that passes thru the frame, and on all ground studs near hot studs, IIWMI'd disconnect the house 7 chassis grounds at the batteries before doing these checks, for safety. There is not a lot of working room on the chassis/engine side and it is easy to create a dead short while tightening either connection; likewise in the battery box its easy for a hiccup to start an unintended welding project that can be very dangerous, and removing the ground connections 'safes' that possibility.

On all Alpines- also check the battery cutoff switch connections, as one of those being loose is basically the same issue.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Here is the data from my VMSPC:

================================================== ===========================
ENG PID 511 0 UNKNOWN COMPONENT High Reading 10/ 6/10 12:05
ENG PID 5 3 Underrange Warning Condition High Voltage 10/ 6/10 12:05
ENG SID 76 9 Knock Sensor Abnormal Update 10/ 6/10 12:05
ENG PID 256 0 Parameter Request High Reading 10/ 6/10 12:05
TRN SID 120 14 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Special Error 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN SID 114 14 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Special Error 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN SID 0 8 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Frequency Error 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN SID 262 5 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Low Current 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN PID 511 2 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Invalid Data 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN PID 256 0 Parameter Request High Reading 6/ 5/11 11:47
TRN PID 511 0 UNKNOWN COMPONENT High Reading 6/ 5/11 11:49
TRN SID 451 10 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Abnormal Change 6/ 5/11 11:49
ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/20/11 8:13
ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/25/11 10:40
ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/27/11 8:11
ENG PID 94 2 Fuel Delivery Pressure Invalid Data 10/27/11 9:15
ENG SID 152 7 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Not Responding 10/27/11 9:15

The last 2 are when the Maint light & Stop Engine light came on.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

Greg- seems like you fixed 2nd from the bottom & turned off the Stop light. Could be the Maint light will automatically reset after a preset collection of conditions exist (typically some number of cold starts/warm-ups, number of freeway speed miles, etc.) w/out the condition recurring.
Or it could be a pre-programmed light based on mileage or run hours of engine. This latter is more common on aftermarket ECM reading systems like Silverleaf (orig programmer decides you need say oil change every 20k, so every 20k the light comes on); to turn that off requires access to the software. This is where Cummins points at the vehicle OEM who points at the Cummins guy who is point back at the OEM who is...... and nobody owns up to who programmed a stupid warning light w/a stupid trigger. I believe your rig has the VDC on rear side of battery compartment rear bulkhead; so the VDC maker might be in the pointing circle as well, since the VDC interprets the ECM signals to tell the idiot light collection (and gauges) what to do.
Or it could be something else, requiring further investigation.

FYI the VMSPc item #'s may not correspond to Cummins or Allison DTC's. Some Silverleaf DRC reporting requires a translation from S.L. speak to Cummins speak.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

Smile

Thanks Mike, the real test is tomorrow, leaving the Valley for San Antonio. I will post what happens when I reach San Antonio. Keep your fingers crossed .

You lost me on the VDC thing??

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

Link explaining Vehicle Data Computer
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Engineer Mike, thanks for the advice. I did remove the main negative cable from the batteries to the negative binding post before working on the bad connection. I agree, there's little room for error when working on the back side of that connection.

As for the voltage on the Actia "window", the indicated voltage was OK, but still the starter wouldn't turn it over. I speculate that the supply lines for the electronics were OK, but obviously the connection on the cable going to the starter wasn't, thus the problem. Actually, that exact observation is what got my attention and led to finding the loose connection point.

Thanks again for all the excellent information you provide to all of us here on this forum.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #12

Made it to San Antonio but still am getting Maint Light and Engine Stop light. Only get the Engine Stop light when engine load is over 70% and then the light will go off when load decreases to 49%. Have an appointment with Cummins on Wednesday so we will see what they find.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

Greg- given that you've isolated the parameters whereby the lights report, Cummins should be able to hook up to the front diagnostic port w/their software & find the offending issue on a drive test, if they don't find codes set that lead them to the issue more directly. On most Alpines, you can peel back the lower right carpet flap to plug into the diagnostic port w/out removing the kick panel ahead of passenger's feet. I don't recall if that's true on a '99.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Have you checked your fuel filters recently? Just a guess. Cummins should be able to find the problem. Good luck.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote