Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #43

Ken, my 38FDDS has that Black boot there but that's in the engine dept. Its enclosed with a metal box running along that wall in the engine room and the end door hinge is mounted to the end of it. I wonder who knows the center to center of those metal studs on the wall. I read they where aluminum but can't find centers. I'll go back in library again and see if I missed it.
Thanks Ken and everyone with the inputs
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins ISC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Can not see for sure but looks like it has a bulge on one side and the other side looks like it was caulked to seal a damaged unit.
Anyway as I posted earlier it is providing for air intake and a noise reducer if I am correct.
It is caulked and it is damaged. but serviceable I guess? I have it out.
It appears that I will have to put two grills side by side, I believe there is room,
but none extra. The grill seems to be an Attwood 1488, an early 3 louver model, today it is an Attwood 1488-5, a 5 louver unit. I will have to buy two so they will match, but the dimensions are still the same. I doubt that sound in the rear of the coach from the air intake will make any real difference when I am in the front driving. Now for the turbulence, It is a fairly long air system,
I believe I can fashion a collector box with two intakes that will lesson the vacuum in the system. And provide enough air in all driving conditions.
I may be wrong, and I might be looking for a different way, but this is the way I will go for now. More Air Must be better. All input appreciated.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3756.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	119639   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3760.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	119640  

Name:	100_3762.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	119641   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3763.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	119642  

Old 02-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #45

PS. I wonder where Engineer Mike is in all this?? Ken
Old 02-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
I think I would open it up to the limit that you can and get a chrome mesh and
border it with stainless steel with a small scoop so with forward motion you have
a ram air effect, that way you do not have a vacuum.
If done right it will look factory.
On the inside just build a air box or purchase one and attach it air tight to the new
opening with a short straight out the bottom for your intake hose, no extra bends or elbow as they hurt the air flow.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
If you end up with a intake of 6x9 inches that works out to 7.2 inches just a small amount larger than your 7 inch hose.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #48

Ken ,what size is that under the floor there. I wish I could get where your at with mine. If you use a sheet metal fitting they have duct butter to seal everything up and it will slick the duct up. If you find the grille that works perfect, let me know what brand of Rv its on, take a pic of it and I can check with Vision parts to see if they have it and cost. There's only about 1000 class A Rv's there. I'm just talkin and My first move on my dodge was to put a K&N filter on it. That did not help fuel mileage. Then I put the new 5 inch exhaust in that didn't increase the fuel mileage but did help a little on power. I already had a program and would raise and lower hp on that. More smoke but little better on power and mileage about one to two miles a gallon. I pulled a 32 ft cruiser. Then I finally gave in what everyone said and got a new fresh air intake. The difference in the world. I got a lot more power and mileage. I started at 14 to 16 normal driven and went to 20. I could pull that boat on hills no problem. So they put this air in there to meet standards and space. But more air is better. I read that I need to get rid of that mud flat to. But cfm is very important. I think your right on it. My coach didn't come with the silver leaf because it has the 350 I guess. So I installed one on my laptop. I would like to know the centers of those metal studs so I can move it to one side further. I'm going to try and call Vision and see if there's one there wrecked and if they will tell me. If your not buying they don't like to help. Make sure you tell us what this does for you. Mine will be a secret around here. I can hear her now, what are you doin , nothing. Where she has trouble understanding, If we drive 3000 miles and can save 2 to 3 mpg look what we done.
Thanks Ken
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #49

First, Art, The PDF you posted is full of interesting information, Thank You.

I checked with Kenny at Vision, and the pictured Air Intake Grill on the 03 has been removed and is gone. I checked all over the country and can't find one.
I have ordered two Atwood 1488-5 grills so they will match, I will have one original 3 louver grill available if any one needs it when I am finished with this project.
The framework in the walls is Aluminum and seems to be placed at random, according to the structural requirements and mounting needs. The metal frame completely around the intake opening is welded 1-1/2" x 1" aluminum for mounting purposes. Cutting an additional hole to the rear looks like it will work fine so the grills will sit side by side.
If I can't find a suitable collector box/plenum I will have to fashion one from sheet metal. From that 7" connection through the floor all the original air piping will be the same. There is a slight issue with the location of the hole through the floor since it is very close to the outside wall and interferes with the cabinet below [the electrical cabinet outside]. It will require that pipe to exit the plenum at an angle.
I think when this finished I will reset the "minder" and drive the coach full out before connecting the 7" elbow. Read the results, and reset the minder and connect the elbow and run coach full out again. Just to see the difference? Are there any new ideas out there? Thanks to all, Ken
Old 02-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
All you have to do is find a grade that you can use full fuel for a distance that allows full boost.
You might look at the duct end floor heating and AC ducts there might be something that you can work with.
Glad you liked the PDF to bad some of these builders did not read and under stand it.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #51

Here's where EngineerMike is on all this:
1. The filter minder is a blunt instrument (cheap), you'll need a much better made meter to tell anything about the matter under inquiry here. Mine runs along at a low level till one day I check it and it hit 3/4 restriction, like the engine suddenly burped in reverse.
2. The guys who did the upgrade reported increased mileage & response.
3. Here is what the mod looks like to the outside world:

4. I plan to do this to my coach. My setup is different, about 8ft high, DS (DPF engine). I'm probably going to have a stainless scoop made by an acquaintance that worked in a cannery, something like we used to see on side of a VW hippie bus lo those many years ago when there were hippies driving VW buses instead of motorhomes.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #52

Thanks Mike, I was told from Cummins to not depend on the filter minder. That's what I want to do on mine but those grilles are like hens teeth. The Coach I have the closet isn't there to take it up. I like this idea. Thanks for your input.
Thanks again
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC
Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #53

Thank you Mike, you have made my day! That is exactly what I have in my head. I am working on the through the floor fitting now, and will be starting on the self draining plenum soon. I want any water that enters the system to pass through to the 7" air intake so it will be expelled by the Spitter Valve already in the system. I will try to build the plenum with 8" dia. p.v.c. so it will be water proof. More when I have something completed. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project. Ken
Old 02-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #54

Sorry folks--still waiting for someone who has actually installed this mod to chime in with some factual information on performance and MPG improvement that would justify the effort required to make this mod happen. Without a clear understanding of where the support studs are in the wall, the idea of cutting a hole in the exterior fiberglass, scares the "H___" out of me.......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #55

Those coaches that have an air intake below the floor line on last compartment panel will have a different setup to increase intake area than shown in photos above. I'm not sure of the measurements for those earlier rigs, or how you would go about the change.
Scout- where's you sense of adventure? Nothing could go wrong, right?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #56

Old Scout, That is easy on the inside where you want an opening, use small finish nails.
If they go in more than 1/4" then the only thing on the wall is insulation, if they stop at 1/4" then that is where the structural metal is. A series of small holes will tell you everything. ADVENTURE, that is we have these things---------------Right???
OK, the through the floor box is completed and in place. The new piece of 7" pipe to come through the floor is finished. Tomorrow I will try to weld the new pipe through the lid of the floor box and that will complete the piping from the yet to be figured out collector box to the filter housing. Just in case you are interested? Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3765.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	119887   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3767.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	119888  

Tags
engine