Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I know it costs a lot to keep our rigs going down the road, but I cant understand the desire to "save" money on oil and filters for our engines and transmissions. At worst we change oil once a year and for many things, once every three or four years. Given the cost to rebuild or replace these components, I wont take the chance. Maybe brand-name products are a rip-off but it helps me sleep better.....not to be mean, but someone help me understand the "risk/reward" for doing this....
here's one for,...why not just take the lid off the air cleaner,... you know like how we used to do the chevy 454's.. when we flipped the lid?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #114

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
here's one for,...why not just take the lid off the air cleaner,... you know like how we used to do the chevy 454's.. when we flipped the lid?
You don't want to do that. A "dusted" engine could mean a complete teardown and a big fat sweaty wad of money.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
You don't want to do that. A "dusted" engine could mean a complete teardown and a big fat sweaty wad of money.
how would it dust???the air cleaner is still on
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #116

Removing lid from Air Clnr not advised

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
how would it dust???the air cleaner is still on
For a 06 WRV Alpine, the uptake for the air cleaner cannister is right behind the right rear wheels. I'm amazed at how quickly my whole engine compartment gets dirty with road grit, including on top / around the AC cannister. Opening the cannister would cause large amounts of grit to be sucked directly onto the filter media, increasing the dp across the media, and challenging the media with a potential grit "leak" directly into the engine.
The increase in dp across the filter media quickly defeats the purpose of increasing the delivery air flow (hopefully without an increase in airborne grit) to the engine; at $85 / filter, or $20K per engine, gain doesn't exceed potential loss, so the idea is a loser.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #117

Geeze--the guy is suggesting a test to see if the outside opening is indeed causing a restriction--not as a long-term solution.....118 posts and now we are down to "picking the fly specs out of the pepper." If you like the looks of adding a second louver -- then go for it; if you are looking for a huge increase in performance or MPG--I think you are going to be disappointed--IMHO.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #118

Old Scout, that Filter I purchased was a Fleet guard filter wrapped and sealed. Now who you have to watch is the dealer. There's all kinds of dealers at different prices and which one do you choose. This is getting away from the topic. The filter I purchased was showing a vaccum [ FleetGuard] A Cummins filter. Someone had to fine some of the bad lot of filters. I'm with you on the name brand but who do you buy from. Yes I got it on Ebay and other items.
Larry
2003 38FD Alpine
Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #119

Larry--I have the good fortune of having a great Cummins shop here in SA that I have worked with for years and trust. I may be totally all wet in my thinking but when I can, I buy brand-name products from local vendors that I trust to have fresh stock. There is no guarantee that this will ensure quality but like my fuel stops, I will not go to some "mom an pop" station that may or may not sell enough diesel to keep their tanks clean. Nor do I buy "new" tires if the DOT is over 12 months--even though people say its fine to do so. If I was logging miles like a long-haul trucker, saving money on freq oil changes might make economic sense--but I figure paying a few extra bucks for my annual DIY oil changes wont curtail my overall lifestyle...that's my view, others will, I am sure, have different opinions--good on them....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #120

Smile Results of opening interior of Engine Air Intake

After completing the mod to remove the interior "necking down" of engine air intake that my coach was built with, and driving about 5,000 miles with the mod since May 2016, based on computed numbers of miles per gallon (not trying to correct for very limited use of the DG), mpg computed by my ScanGage, and mpg computed by the SilverLeaf, the mod earned me 0.2 mpg increase in fuel mileage. This number is the same increase I observed by removing the flexible boot between the air filter canister and the air intake downcomer (then driving the same road under same load conditions) to determine if the mod was worth the effort. Since I had all the materials to make the mod, and since it took about 4 man-hours to complete, the approximate $120 per year I save in fuel costs for my coach operation made the mod worth while. IMHO, probably not worth having a shop perform the mod, but if you're an avid DIY'r, every little bit helps.

Tags
engine