Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
Thanks Steve.

We may not have that charger, but something must be charging the chassis batteries (other than the alternator I suppose) and we'll study the wiring drawings and take a look.

Lots of engineering diagrams to take a look at! We got to see someone else's manual and were happy to see those drawings. We will use them.

36ft 2006 Alpine Coach FDDS
Audrey & John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #16
Audrey- Since you ordered the solar, that will be charging batteries during daylight when you are not hooked up. You will need to check batt discharge at night, or first verify that the solar is working, then throw a blanket over the panels & check batt discharge then.
I'll be interested in your blow-by-blow when you pick up your coach. Best of luck. Mike

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #17
I experienced this problem on my new 2005 Alpine 40FDTS - after about three days parked the chasis batteries were dead! The drain from the Xantrex brain runs them down that fast. This happened even when hooked up to shore power or when regularly running the generator - i.e. the Xantrex inverter was not charging the chasis batteries at all.
By the way, when the chasis batteries run down, the Xantrex shuts down, the battery boost switch won't function and you can't start up the Onan generator. Not a good situation if you are boondocking. Western RV suggested turning off the chassis battery isolate switch every time I parked, however this was not a good solution since you need chasis battery power to run the dash radio/CD player, slides, step, or even start the generator - which even if you did start the generator, it wouldn't charge the chasis batteries back up!

What is supposed to happen is that when the Xantrex inverter charges the house batteries up to 13.5 volts, a solenoid diverts current to the chasis batteries and charges them. Apparently this works fine in Washington state, but in hot moist climates like Florida where I live, the temperature sensor never lets the house batteries get above 13.4 volts so the solenoid never fires and the chasis batteries never get charged.

The 2005 models do not come with an echo-charger. The dealer finally got permission from Western RV to install one (it turns on whenever the current to the house batteries is over 13.0 volts) and this should solve the problem
Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 AM   #18
Well what seems to be happening to us is that the solenoid that switches the house battery current to the chassis battery is going bad - or something is causing it to fail. The correct signal is being sent to the solenoid to charge the chassis batteries, and it switches to open, but it there is a voltage drop across it so it's not making a good connection. The dealer installed a new one, and it worked at first (switched on, no voltage drop), but by the next day it had already failed.

WRV told our dealer to get us a "Fat Boy" which I think is just a higher rated current solenoid. We expect to receive it shortly and will replace it ourselves. Hope that fixes the problem.

36ft 2006 Alpine Coach FDDS
Audrey & John is offline   Reply With Quote