Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #1

Engine Batteries not charging

Rookie having problems! My 38', 2000 Alpine is in storage 3hr from my home. They need to move it to get out other coaches. They started it 2 weeks ago and it was running great. They now can't start it and have run the batteries down and they can't seem to charge them. Its been plunged in all winter and still is. Going up there tomorrow any Ideas.
Blairhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Blairhouse:

Welcome to the Forum. To start the coach you should have a Battery Boost Switch on the dash. By depressing the switch it will combine the house and chassis batteries together to start the engine. I would have the batteries checked as they may be bad. Second a 2000 Alpine Coach will have an echo charger and it may/probably is wired incorrectly.

There are also two battery disconnects on the Alpine one is in the stair well the second one is the engine maintenance center. They both should be turned off when leaving the coach for an extended length of time. I hope this info helps if not let us know and we will see what more info we can provide.

Hope to see and meet you at one of the Rallies.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

Dave's advice is great! However, since I have a 2000 38' Alpine, I wonder too if you are still on the original batteries. Mine were original until about mid-2007, then they just gave up the ghost. New batteries plus the addition of a 100 watt solar panel/charge controller have solved my problems seemingly.

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #4

Our '99 doesn't have an "E"-start (battery parallel) switch, stays plugged in, the Echo-charger is wired correctly and yet my 1 year-old 8D chassis battery also ran down after a while. Shore power keeps the 8D house battery topped-off just fine.
My fix was to use a "Battery-tender" on the chassis battery, which has been great.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Echo Charger for Chassis Battery

Dave's post is correct, but may be unhelpful to a rookie. The echo charger is a small separate box, co-located (on my coach, anyway) with the inverter. Here is the Xantrex page on it:
Xantrex Technology Inc. - Recreational Vehicles - echo~charge - Documentation
When I got my coach (used) the wires were reversed! So check the owner's manual and verify; but I suspect your batteries may be dead - especially if the coach was sitting idle for some time before you acquired it. There are plenty of posts on IRV2 about coach batteries.

Welcome to the world of RV learn-it-yourselfers.

Frank
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
Dave's post is correct, but may be unhelpful to a rookie. The echo charger is a small separate box, co-located (on my coach, anyway) with the inverter. Here is the Xantrex page on it:
Xantrex Technology Inc. - Recreational Vehicles - echo~charge - Documentation
When I got my coach (used) the wires were reversed! So check the owner's manual and verify; but I suspect your batteries may be dead - especially if the coach was sitting idle for some time before you acquired it. There are plenty of posts on IRV2 about coach batteries.

Welcome to the world of RV learn-it-yourselfers.

Frank
P.S. If you go to the Alpine Tech Information page (in Alpinecoachassociation.com) , you will find a 2001 Battery Wiring diagram under chassis and brakes. It shows the proper connection of an Echo Charge unit to a three-terminal battery isolator.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #7

Rookie

Guess what the problem was? The storage place ran the batteries down trying to start it and the charger didn't have time to charge the batteries, they keep on trying to start it. The problem was the engine wouldn't start. Two problems 1. Low coolant (stop engine light) and 2. algae in the fuel. They fix the leak in the coolant line and cleaned the screen in the fuel (lift) pump. They said I need a pre-filter before the fuel pump and fuel conditioner to kill the algae. No one ever told me about algae in fuel. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help. Rookie
Blairhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhouse View Post
Guess what the problem was? The storage place ran the batteries down trying to start it and the charger didn't have time to charge the batteries, they keep on trying to start it. The problem was the engine wouldn't start. Two problems 1. Low coolant (stop engine light) and 2. algae in the fuel. They fix the leak in the coolant line and cleaned the screen in the fuel (lift) pump. They said I need a pre-filter before the fuel pump and fuel conditioner to kill the algae. No one ever told me about algae in fuel. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help. Rookie
Hi, Blairhouse.

If you search the forums on IRV2 using the terms "diesel algae" you'll find more information than you want to know! It's a problem I've never had, but apparently you'll want to get a couple of spare prefilter cartridges and perhaps have the tank drained. If you don't have a prefilter, you might consider having one installed.