Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #1

I'm taking my coach to a Cummins service center next week to look into an engine check light that has come on for a very short time on a couple of occassions. Should I be asking them if there are software updates that need to be entered into the engine computer? I ask because I have seen a few threads with comments about specific "updates".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

I'm taking my coach to a Cummins service center next week to look into an engine check light that has come on for a very short time on a couple of occassions. Should I be asking them if there are software updates that need to be entered into the engine computer? I ask because I have seen a few threads with comments about specific "updates".
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #3

At the recent rally someone told me that they had recently had the engine computer upgraded which then required service at some cost for something they did not think was necessary. I think I would ask questions before the updating was initiated.

Also curious on your intermitent light. In my case on an 01 350 it was the transfer pump. I would be curious on what they find. If it is the transfer pump code I would ask questions on ULSD fuel impact.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #4

I have had the engine check light on my '05 come on for short periods of time but it happened when going up a hill and the engine would also run rough. When I got over the hill and reduced the power the light went out. This was solved by replacing the fuel/water separator filter. If your problem is different, keep this in mind.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wil Rathke:
I have had the engine check light on my '05 come on for short periods of time but it happened when going up a hill and the engine would also run rough. When I got over the hill and reduced the power the light went out. This was solved by replacing the fuel/water separator filter. If your problem is different, keep this in mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for us, we had a second filter installed and seem to be ok now. However, we have just decided it is wise to replace a little more often.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

As I mentioned in my Low Coolant Level post, while at Cummins Harrisburg, they updated the computer from the "06" up date I had to the latest "26" up date - and there was no charge.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #7

David- It was your original post that piqued my interest. I was simply wondering if there were other updates.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #8

Well, I took my coach in to the Cummins service center yesterday. The tech connected his laptop to the port in the battery compartment (now I know where that is!)and read the engine computer. What he found was Fault 285- he said the engine computer was not interfacing properly with the Multiplex, which is the big computer box with all the LED's on the right side of the battery compartment. At first they said it wasn't an engine problem, but a problem with the coach and to take it up with WRV. I called WRV and they said they'd look into it and get back to me. In the meantime the tech said he'd look into things further in the Cummins computer data bank and lo and behold...it was something Cummins could fix! He said my engine software was the 26.08 level and that a 26.18 (18 update) would correct the fault. He said he'd install upgrades to the 26.26 that David discussed and that should have the engine at the latest software version. I felt really fortunate that they were able to solve the problem, and I was in and out in just a couple of hours.
Seems to me that even if you're not having an engine check light come on before you go in for engine service it might be worth asking about, especially if your coach is pre-2006, when this software was last updated. Also keep in mind that just because you have a 2006+ model year coach it doesn't mean the engine was built after the latest software was installed by Cummins. Many '06 coaches were built starting mid-2005!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Rick, was this Cummins work done under warranty? And if so, was it WRV or Cummins paying for the work?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #10

Rick......What Cummins Service Center did you use????
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #11

Mike- I went to Cummins Cal Pacific in Montebello, but I believe there is one closer to you in the Inland Empire. Cummins covered mine under warranty, but I bought my coach new in August of 2006. The tech said it takes about an hour's labor, and I believe they charge about $100/hour. The tech said it was easy- you just need a laptop and the right update software. I would also check with Acacia RV in Colton to see if they can do it. WRV also suggested trying two other places: 1. Colton Truck Terminal (909)825-4080 or RV Solutions (also in Colton) at (909) 783-4063. Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hello all!

Here's a little more information about that Diagnostic Port located in the Battery Compartment:

When we were sitting in California contemplating the purchase of a used Alpine in Vermont I phoned the nearest Vermont Freightliner dealer (he was nearer the coach than the nearest Cummins dealer) and asked him if he could hook up to the Diagnostic Port of a motorhome with a Cummins engine. Yes, he could!

We ended up with a 22 page report covering both the engine and the Allison transmission. There was fuel usage info (gallons used according to the computers brain), "computed" MPG since new (a bit over 8 MPG), every Fault Code since new (one for a low battery condition), every time any parameter was exceeded (3 times a temperature was exceeded and the technician told me that is simply going up a good long hill). The report gave info on how many hours and what percentage of total time was due to idling. And tons more info. I believe it also listed the latest "Revision" or Software Version number but I'll have to take a look for that. And, there were a couple of parameters that you could choose to change that could be done at that time but since we didn't own it yet I wouldn't have done that.

It was a very enlightening report and I was amazed at how much information was presented. The total cost, including travel time to and from the coach, was in the range of $300. Then the Tech spent 35 minutes explaining the faxed report to me!

One day I hope to scan and save the report so that I can share it with folks, maybe even post it online somewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm 3,000 miles from the coach and the report right now so I can't even answer many questions about it. If anyone is curious, feel free to email to me personally and I can provide more info.

I do feel that this would be a great thing to do if you are contemplating the purchase of any used diesel motorhome.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote