Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
I want EngineerMike to install my EGT gauge .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #16

Engineer Mike....I want one to (I Think) . Seriously, I have an EGT gauge on my PSD F250....I monitor it all the time, especially when shutting down engine. I would like one on MH...any suggestions/recommendations on what brand/type. The one on my PSD is from Banks Engineering.

Mike
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #17

Banks, ISSPRO and AutoMeter are all good guages. EGT guages are not cheap; plan ~$175 for the parts.
Also, the install is interesting. You have to find a location to drill & install the probe into the exhaust stream, as close to a cylinder port as practical. Obviously in a cylinder would be the best up-to-the-nanosecond reading, but problematic to drill & install a probe there Just outside the cylinder gives a pretty good reading. Downstream a ways allows some drop in temp, so you don't get accurate in-the-cylinder reading, tho you can make useful comparative readings w/more remote mountings. I prefer just after the cast exhaust header, as that reduces influence of changes in ambient temps that reduce readings more in winter than in summer; I don't have to make any seasonal adjustments mentally (as that is frequently a source of much forgetfulness & error; just ask the woman that feeds me, her name is, er, well, uh... was it Judy?). That location also has complications, though of a more manageable type- if you just drill exhaust tube in place, shavings fall inside & get blown thru turbo, into intercooler. So best to remove the exhaust pipe to drill. Some purists remove & drill/tap the cast exhaust header; they have my admiration.

Mike makes the point that shut-down is an important point in time regarding
EGT & turbo-diesels. For those not in the know on that point, the turbo is oil cooled, so if it is passing 1100 degree exhaust (climbing a mountain), and you pull over and shut down, you will cook the oil that was passing thru the turbo but is now stationary within it (motor oil burns somewhere shortly above ~240 degrees). Long idling has been shown to be n.g. for diesels (truckers do it to keep AC & other stuff going), but a coupla minutes idling after a long pull & before shutdown is in order to keep the turbo oil passages from choking up w/burnt oil residue.

Maybe WRV will install EGT guages @ Homecoming as one of the 3 things?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #18

Engineer Mike.....Great info, but you did overload my p-brain I 2nd the motion on WRV installing gauge at Homecoming I know Tom and Patty would sign up. Thanks for info....I will check with Banks and see how much for their install is and where they locate probe.

See ya at Homecoming

Mike
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #19

Probably just as important, tho for other reasons, is where to locate guage. I looked @ my dash & an obvious spot did not appear. That will take a bit of thought.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I've got room in my dash Cons to upstream of the turbo is risk of the probe breaking and going through the turbo Down stream no turbo risk but not as accurate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> just ask the woman that feeds me, her name is, er, well, uh... was it Judy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does Ann know about her yet?