Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Engine Diagnostic Fault Codes

2005 Alpine Coach 36' FDDS
Can I find the Engine Diagnostic Fault Codes or do I have to go to Cummins.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You didn't specify what Cummins engine you have, but most all can be found using Google.

Here's one link to many Cummins codes:

https://www.truckfaultcodes.com/cumm...oubleshooting/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

You can use Cummins QuickServe.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/cola2/login/index.html

Carter pointed me to the section with fault codes. Create an account with your engine serial number. In the red banner across the top of the home page click "Service". On the service page click "Fault Code Search". There you can enter your fault code.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

Made a mistake. The above link is to log on. To create an account use this link.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/...ion_plans.html
Old 10-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #5

See attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins ISC Fault Codes.pdf (79.3 KB, 188 views)
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

If the OP has Silverleaf the Cummins site can be very helpful. Recently I had Silverleaf report the following error while I was driving.

ECM Power Fault, ID 251, FMI 2. The ID number is a SPN code

The below description is from a Google search:

"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) developed the J1939 standards and SPN code terms have been assigned for specific parameters (component or system circuits) that diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are associated with."

"The FMI is used along with the SPN to provide specific information that relates to a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The FMI may indicate that a problem with an electronic circuit or an electronic component has been detected. The FMI may also indicate that an abnormal operating condition has been detected."

Entering the FMI and SPN codes on the QuickServe site i was able to retrive Cummins fault codes 319 and 1689 both of which were real time clock errors. You are then able to click on the codes and get descriptions and possible causes.

I am still learning and no expert when it comes to troubleshooting DTC's. Others on the forum are helping me to understand this stuff. If I am in error I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I supposed I ask the wrong thing. I need to know where to get the code. Or how do I get the code. Do I need to go to Cummins or is there some way I can get it myself.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
I supposed I ask the wrong thing. I need to know where to get the code. Or how do I get the code. Do I need to go to Cummins or is there some way I can get it myself.
You still haven't identified exactly which Cummins engine you have. If it's an ISX, it might be available by this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=7yMF8Vuxvw0

This thread has some suggestions:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/read...ine-96568.html

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
You should have two different data ports.
One behind the cover inside of the firewall on the passenger side, the plastic should be held on with Velcro. The second one is in the battery Bay. Both are round gray plugs an inch or so in diameter. You will need the appropriate scan gauge that will plug into one of those plugs.
Hopefully someone will post more specifics on how you do it, I haven't just know that the plugs are there.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
TJ, the above is correct, there are 2 ports, one in front of pax seat, the other in the battery compartment. You can get Cummins to read them, or I have been told Scan Gauge will read them, as well as Silverleaf. If you have not had Cummins read the codes recently it might be a good idea to have them do it and clear any old codes.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hi All

Been reading through the various forums trying to find info on using Silverleaf. Looking at ScanGauge also. From what I see the Silverleaf though a little more expensive seems like what I want. Wondering if any of the Alpine group has this and what type laptop or table using. Biggest item to me seems to be what to use. Thinking a tablet but there are so many out there to pick from. Any insights appreciated

thanks
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebelle View Post
Hi All

Been reading through the various forums trying to find info on using Silverleaf. Looking at ScanGauge also. From what I see the Silverleaf though a little more expensive seems like what I want. Wondering if any of the Alpine group has this and what type laptop or table using. Biggest item to me seems to be what to use. Thinking a tablet but there are so many out there to pick from. Any insights appreciated

thanks
Bruce

Bruce, I have been running VMSpc from Silverleaf on a Dell 15” laptop for over 9 years. You will find multiple pictures that I have posted on the set up in other threads. I recently moved to a Dell 13-7000 and it has run just great. What I like about this set up is you have a screen that is substantially larger than any stand alone GPS on the market and I can use the laptop for so many other things....

I run the VMSpc across the top and down the left side with Delome’s Street Atlas 2014 in the middle (Delorme was purchased by Garmin a few years ago and they have killed off the product line, so I will have to find a new GPS system soon, shame on you Garmin!!!) so I will run with an old GPS until I can find one that can run with multiple screens (VMSpc running full screen in the background and Garmin in a smaller screen in the lower right of the screen.

The attached picture is from the older Dell, but you get the basic idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	226289Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	226290I made the stand and have a Velcro strap the runs around the laptop to hold it from sliding off the dash. I also ran a charger wire down the windshield center bar so it always has power, no concern about battery condition.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #13

I read codes using a Deutsch-9-pin-to-OBD2 pigtail (search deutsch 9 pin obd2) and a bluetooth OBD2 gizmo (link), along w/the Cummins code reader app (last I checked app was only available on android). On an 04 Alpine it only works on rear DTC port, on 05 & later it works on both. A cheap bluetooth gizmo may not work, has to have a good refresh rate to keep up w/the buss data rate or stuff gets skipped I think. If you get the one I linked it works, and I use it on my gas vehicles w/out fail to read codes then search online for the fix.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Plan on playing with this during the holidays when have a little extra time. Like the idea of the mapping program on there. One less monitor/display to distract me.

Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine