Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

Engine Diagnostic Port

I recently purchased a Silverleaf VMSpc Wifi connection kit, and have experienced a problem installing and using it. After connecting the JIB to the engine diagnostic port and establishing the wifi link, I was not getting any of the gauges to work on my laptop. I then connected to the engine diagnostic port in the battery compartment instead, and suddenly the system works as advertised.

Silverleaf technical support suspects that the data port on the dash was mis-wired. I suspect the dash port has never been used. I will test a work around tomorrow to verify if this is the problem.

Has anybody experienced this, or am I just lucky?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Must be lucky!! I've used the same VMSpc on two MH's and it worked fine on both the CAT 3126/FL chassis and Cummins ISC/Spartan.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I recently purchased a Silverleaf VMSpc Wifi connection kit, and have experienced a problem installing and using it. After connecting the JIB to the engine diagnostic port and establishing the wifi link, I was not getting any of the gauges to work on my laptop. I then connected to the engine diagnostic port in the battery compartment instead, and suddenly the system works as advertised.

Silverleaf technical support suspects that the data port on the dash was mis-wired. I suspect the dash port has never been used. I will test a work around tomorrow to verify if this is the problem.

Has anybody experienced this, or am I just lucky?
There was a great post on another forum here about a guy who ran down a cracked connector on his JIB system. I can't find it now, but essentially he had his friend watch his display while he crawled under the coach and wiggled each wire until the display came back to life. Found a cracked connector and replaced it.

You might start with the dash connector. Not sure what yours looks like, but mine is right next to the steering column. If you can contort yourself and lay eyes on it you may be able to see the back side of the connector and check that all the wires are in there and no pins have been pushed out. When I first hooked my VMSPC up I had to push hard to make the all the pins make contact. It finally worked and I've done a 1500 mile trip with no problems. I am not using a wifi connection, I'm using the USB system.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

The Alpine Coach diagnostic port is on the firewall, behind a panel in front of the passenger seat. Easy to get to. The back side of the connector is outside, behind the firewall, and not easy to get to. Part of the front cap is in the way.

Silverleaf tech support suspects that the C and D contacts in the 9 pin Deutsch connector are switched. These are the J1939 data link + and - contacts. I checked voltages at all 6 pins on the JIB connector, and all the voltages are correct. However, pins 5 and 6 (C and D on the port connector) have the same voltage, so you can't tell from voltage if they are switched. All of the other pins have unique voltages, so I can tell they are not switched.

I can either cut and splice the wiring to the port connector, or cut and splice the Silverleaf wiring harness.

Silverleaf's tech support has been very good in helping me troubleshoot the problem and tell me how to fix it. So we think we have the fix necessary. I was just curious if anybody else had seen this problem on an Alpine Coach. This might have been the first year that they switched from the 6 pin to the 9 pin connector port.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, I have the USB connected VMSPC system and have had since 2009. It was plug and play with no problems. You need to get a pin extractor so you can switch the pins on the firewall. If you choose to cut the pins do it on the coach, that is where the problem is, not on the VMSpc WIFI connector.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #6

I had the exact same issue with my 1999 coach. Turns out the data leads were reversed on the dash diagnostic port. I reversed the leads and the VMSpc has worked well ever since.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Several Many years ago when I took the Coach to Cummins and they could not get the front 6 Pin data port to work properly and they had to use the 6 Pin in the rear which worked fine. The front 6 Pin data port had always worked with my Silverleaf since the coach was 4 months old.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

Update:

I switched the C and D leads on the Silverleaf harness, and the problem was NOT fixed. So the problem was not simply reversed wires on the J1939 data port. I talked to Redlands Truck Service, and he suggested I check for continuity between the front port and the back port. There was no continuity between the J1939 pins on the front port and the J1939 pins on the back port. There was continuity on the rest of the pins.

I took the coach to Redlands, and they used their diagnostic tester to check both ports. They found data on both the J1939 and J1708 data pins on the rear port, but only data on the J1708 data pins on the front port. He tested a similar vintage Alpine Coach in the shop, and found the same situation.

He contacted Silverleaf (and obviously talked to somebody different than I had), and found out that in 2004 Cummins was still implementing the J1939 system, and that even the rear port would not have all of the data.

The Wifi JIB sold by Silverleaf relies on the J1939 data stream, whereas the USB JIB used the J1708 data stream. Therefore I needed the USB JIB, as the Wifi version would be missing critical data even if the front port was wired to match the rear port. I should be receiving the USB JIB tomorrow.

Unfortunately this means that I can't use an Android tablet app version of the software with the Silverleaf, the reason I got the new version Wifi JIB. I need to use a wired USB connection, and a Windows based tablet or laptop to run the VMSpc software.

Oh well....

Tags
engine