Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Engine dies then no accelerator pedal.

This has happened 2x on my 2001 coach. Both times I had traveled 100 or miles, come into a town, running 20 to 30 mph and the engine dies. Yellow engine maint light comes on. It starts up but has no accelerator, push on it and nothing, engine ideals at normal RPM. So I shut it off and sit about 10 minutes, it starts right up and everything works. Both times I did have dash air on, I shut that off when I restart. The yellow light goes out. Is the throttle on a cable, or run thru a computer. Any info is greatly appreciated because both times it happened on a very busy road, I have been able to get to the side of the road. Just had coach serviced and did not show up on any diagnostic check. Thanks Mike..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What engine?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

Cummins 8.9 350 hp..
Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're talking about a diesel, I'd check the fuel filters and drain the settling bowl. It sounds like fuel starvation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

Yes it is a diesel. It happened once before and I just had it serviced and filters changed. Thanks I will have to check that..
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

The throttle on your coach is electronic. The throttle pedal is connected to an electronic restive element which converts it's position to a voltage which connects to the engine computer. I suggest you search this problem on this forum as there have been a number of posts on this problem.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Thanks s bunch Wil ...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #8

I did have a 2000 and as I remember, it had Williams Control accelerator pedal. You should be able to have someone pull a engine code on your on your ECM to see the fault code.

If you need a new pedal or maybe a kit, they are manufactured in Tigard OR. The distributor is Brake Systems Inc. Portland OR 503 236 2116.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #9

Thanks Kraig..
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #10

Yes, it is unnerving. I had similar occurrences on a totally different vehicle, an almost new 2002 Ford f250 with Powerstroke diesel. I was heading down a long hill when the engine died. I managed to get into a left turn lane and used my own power to slow down and make the turn while coasting. I got on the side of the road and sat for a minute and tried to start the engine and it fired up and we limped in to Fort Flagler State Park. The next day I took the Truck to the Ford dealer in Chimacum and they replaced the cam position sensor. If I remember correctly the diagnostics didn't show anything. That problem never recured. I did wonder if the aftermarket BD exhaust brake had anything to do with it.

A few years later I had at least two occurrences where the throttle was unresponsive during turns (only left turns as I remember) and the engine stayed at an idle until I got thru the turn and I was then able to accelerate and continue. When I called the Ford dealer where I got the truck I found out there was a recall. I went in and they replaced part of the throttle mechanism and it never happened again. After the throttle was fixed whenever I turned the BD brake on there was an issue with acceleration and it turned out that BD was aware of the throttle control issue and I had to have a module of the BD brake system replaced at little or no cost.

The second issue with loss of throttle almost seemed like a clogged fuel filter that I had previously experienced with a car pulling a travel trailer. That is an indication that sometimes what appears to be a logical diagnosis is not correct so all alternative need to be reviewed.uhh
Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Ballard 770 thanks, yes it does make a person anxious. Got appt Tuesday at Cummins of Portland. Looked on line lots of sensors, just have to see what shows up. Just hope that can finish rest of trip without something bad happening..
Old 08-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #12

No Accelerator

Just a FYI it was the Accelerator Module that was bad. Cummins Northwest in Portland Oregon replaced. They also found a cracked exhaust manifold and the Iner-Cooler needed replaced, two weeks and some $$ took care of all of it. Thanks to all for your input and help. Stay Safe..
Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mklbrook2 View Post
Just a FYI it was the Accelerator Module that was bad. Cummins Northwest in Portland Oregon replaced. They also found a cracked exhaust manifold and the Iner-Cooler needed replaced, two weeks and some $$ took care of all of it. Thanks to all for your input and help. Stay Safe..
Just had a cracked exhaust manifold replaced on my 8.1 gas engine. Ran me just under $2,000 installed.

What's one cost for a diesel?

Tags
engine