Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #1

Hey Guys,
Having trouble with fuel restriction and my RV mechanic can only find the one easily accessible Remote Fuel filter in the rear passenger side compartment, near the oil dipstick. In the Service Interval chart of my Alpine 99 manual, there is mention of an Engine Fuel filter AND the Remote Fuel filter.

Does anyone know where the other (Engine Fuel) filter is located? We are at a loss!

Thanks in advance,
CajunJohn

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #2

Hey Guys,
Having trouble with fuel restriction and my RV mechanic can only find the one easily accessible Remote Fuel filter in the rear passenger side compartment, near the oil dipstick. In the Service Interval chart of my Alpine 99 manual, there is mention of an Engine Fuel filter AND the Remote Fuel filter.

Does anyone know where the other (Engine Fuel) filter is located? We are at a loss!

Thanks in advance,
CajunJohn

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #3

On my 400 ISL the small engine fuel filter is located on the right side of the engine and can be seen if you wiggle into the right rear engine compartment. The compartment where you found your main fuel filter. I just had Cummins Cal Pacific change both of mine. It has been reported on the "Forum" that the filter located on the engne is most easily reached from under the bed and down. I told this to the folks at Cummins but they still preferred to to get at it from the bottom up. Incidentally, contrary to what we are told by our manuals, the maintenance manager at Cummins (at least the Cal Pacific branch here in El Cajon, CA)says Do NOT drain the main filter unless you get a "Water In The Fuel" warning light. He says that you run the risk of getting air in the system and may or may not get the engine started. In all the airplanes I've ever flown, fuel systems and tanks are are always checked for water; but maybe these Diesels are a different animal.

Dick
2006 FDTS
San Diego, CA
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #4

What engine do you have in your '99 Alpine?

On my '98 Gulfstream I have a Cummins C8.3 and while the primary fuel filter/separator is on the right frame rail behind the air dryer, the smaller secondary filter is on the right forward side of the engine, way up high but just below the valve cover and just behind the leading right edge.

It was very hard to see around the wiring loom, the throttle linkage/plates, the lift pump etc. I was able to snake my hand up between the loom and the block from below while laying on a creeper.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #5

Dont think yr 99 has a secondary filter--just the primary one on the side with the air filter/oil dip stick, etc. Think the second filter was added starting in circa 2005 with the Cummins Pegasus engine. My 2003 [400 ISL]doesnt have the second filter.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #6

My '99 did not have a secondary fuel filter, only the fuel/water separator mounted in the last compartment.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
CajonJohn, I only have one filter on my 350 Cummins. Stay away from the Petro in Beaumont, had two bad loads of diesel. Changed the filter at L'Aubarge first time, then Marksville....

Bernie
02' 36 FT Alpine
Pearland, Tx
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We only had the one filter on our 2002 and the previous owner had listed a problem of the engine shut-down light coming on when the filter needed changing (and why he would wait for it to come one is beyond me) at around 10,000 miles. We were at the Coach Care in Elkhardt (really a good facility) and they suggested we add a second filter. We did and have never had a problem since. We found that we have to make sure and tell them we have 2 fuel filters when we have the coach serviced - the Coach Care facility in Tulsa missed it and had to take the coach back in. BTW - I wouldn't recommend the Tulsa Coach Care facility - really unfriendly people even though they had no business. Dave had noted that there seemed to be some fluid on the front right wheel hub cap. He wanted to have the bearing checked - "We Don't Do That" and "No, we don't know who does". Using rvservicereviews.com we found Tulsa Auto Springs. Called them, they don't make appointments just come on down. They got us right in, pull the wheels and checked - the seals (I think that is what it was) were a little loose, and we could have gotten by when just having things tightened, but we decided at 85,000 miles to have every thing checked out - 3 hrs latter we had new seals and plugs in place, all bearings were checked and were fine, and we have peace of mind going down the road. And they do just about everything there on diesels - so if you are in Tulsa, I'd recommend them.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #9

Sorry not to elaborate; My 1999 FDS has the Cummins 330.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barbaraok:
We only had the one filter on our 2002 and the previous owner had listed a problem of the engine shut-down light coming on when the filter needed changing (and why he would wait for it to come one is beyond me) at around 10,000 miles. We were at the Coach Care in Elkhardt (really a good facility) and they suggested we add a second filter. We did and have never had a problem since. We found that we have to make sure and tell them we have 2 fuel filters when we have the coach serviced - the Coach Care facility in Tulsa missed it and had to take the coach back in. BTW - I wouldn't recommend the Tulsa Coach Care facility - really unfriendly people even though they had no business. Dave had noted that there seemed to be some fluid on the front right wheel hub cap. He wanted to have the bearing checked - "We Don't Do That" and "No, we don't know who does". Using rvservicereviews.com we found Tulsa Auto Springs. Called them, they don't make appointments just come on down. They got us right in, pull the wheels and checked - the seals (I think that is what it was) were a little loose, and we could have gotten by when just having things tightened, but we decided at 85,000 miles to have every thing checked out - 3 hrs latter we had new seals and plugs in place, all bearings were checked and were fine, and we have peace of mind going down the road. And they do just about everything there on diesels - so if you are in Tulsa, I'd recommend them.

Barb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
jcfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #11

Does someone know the fuel filter number on the 2001 FDDS, I changed mine with no sensor. I actually saved the original but my door came open and it rolled out on hwy 287 coming home from NASCAR in Nov.
Thanks !!!
jcfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
jcfisher,
My 2001, 350 HP, used a FleetGuard FS1022...

This one has the drain and also the electric hook up for the sensor.

Dan.....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
hax

My ISC 8.3 350hp is a Fleetguard FS1022
Jim

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote