Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #1

Engine heat shield question

A two part problem has struck on my "05" FDSQ. A month ago I heard creaking and felt a little movement when stepping on the floor section between the head of the bed and the rear closet wall. Upon accessing the engine compartment and looking back at the (drivers side) closet bumpout; I noticed a tear in the foil like insulation. A strip along the left wall and a 10" part of the facing wall is open showing plywood decking. Would it be unwise to run the engine (1+hr) to drive to refuel and or to repair shop to fix floor with the wood exposed to engine compartment running temps?

With the radiator compartment directly below this area will access have to be gained by removing the bed platform? The engine access hole is colocated to broken area (but a back injury has prevented me from trying to look).
Skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Skyguy,
I have an 05 40' FDQS and had a similar issue. If it is a FDQS the access to the engine compartment from inside is through a L shaped cover just as you step up on to the rear side of the bed. It is held in place by screws going into the wall below the closet and into the floor. Access to the engine compartment is limited form that area. I reinstalled my heat shield using strips of aluminum I purchased at Lowes and attached them to the underside of the floor with wood screws. As for the creaking sound the structure below the floor broke apart just before the little night stand on the back wall of mine. If you remove the drawer below the closet you should be able to get in there to repair it. I would not hesitate to take in for service with the heat shield laying on the valve cover IMHO. Mine was laying on the engine valve cover for sometime before I found it.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

Thanks Wayne. In another5 years I'll learn which order the The S & Q go in. I have the king size bed so there is no night stand, but Ill try the drawer under the closet. I have accessed the engine compartment befor and your right it is tough.
Skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote