Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Smile Engine hydraulic system maintenance recommendation

Completed filter change / reservoir fluid change on my 2006 34' Alpine and have a couple recommendations for you DIY'rs and those that pay attention to what service facilities do to their coach. Found zero contamination in reservoir or on/in filters at 60K mi, with no evidence that service ever performed by previous two owners. Since no contamination, siphoned all hydraulic fluid from reservoir, changed filters, and called it good. WRT the filters - the WRV manual calls for usage of Nelson P/N 84220-A filters (~$8 ea X3), which have NO metal interior retainer against the filter media. I removed Fleetguard 87610A filters (~$20 ea., Cummins NW, Coburg, OR.) which have an interior stainless steel media retainer. I strongly recommend the latter media notwithstanding the WRV Manual - if filter media pieces go through the engine cooling fan / hydraulic pump, the cheaper filter savings will be massively overcome by fan and pump repair costs. EngMike confirmed at least one of our friends has suffered such an event. WRT the hydraulic oil, my system was charged with ISO 46 hydraulic oil; a 5 Gal pail from SinoPec.com (about 1/2 pail required to fill the reservoir) cost $40, incl. shipping. Rando and Rykon 46 were ~$25/gal, but exhibited no different or better fluid characteristics than SinoPec.

dhschultz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Good work,
As I would have expected, the oil was clean etc etc.

I am in a different camp based on my heavy equipment experience.
I take a sample every year or so and do not plan to replace filters or fluid unless the lab report indicates some amount of contamination.
IMHO, one can do more damage draining, filling and changing filters than trying to prevent.
Other than contamination from outside the system, there is nothing in a good working hydralic system to cause the oil to degrade. Not like your engine where you have high heat and combustion going on. JMHO....

Now, if you had a component failure, that would warrant fluid/filter change after the repair. Certainly a filter change at the least.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Tend to agree the process of opening up the reservoir and replacing the filters increases the risk of outside contamination but there is something reassuring [to me] about changing out fluid and filters every so often. Also like the idea of periodic fluid analysis to identify contamination or excessive wear but after "careful" consideration, I have seized on 4 years [about 50k miles] to change out fluids and filters. Accordingly, I am changing transmission, hydraulics, and differential every 4 years. Also doing brake fluid every three years and coolants [Cummins and Onan] every 5 years.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
The gent whose hydraulic fan motor & pump needed replacement and system purged let his filters disintegrate due to age, which then garbaged up his hydraulics. I don't recall how much junk came out or how much fluid they needed to run thru after replacing the motor & pump.
I think changing the filters every 3-4 years is cheaper.

BTW, Online Truck Filters for Sale, Filterbarn H&S Industries - Filterbarn has a Nelson 87610A listed for $15
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Engine hydraulic system maintenance recommendation

I agree the filters can fail. Also the seals on the tank start breaking down. I replaced the seals on the tank and filters along with fluid. I am guessing only time it was done in 12 years. The seals looked the worse and definitely needed replacement.

Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote

engine, hydraulic, maintenance