Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Engine losing power

Have an Alpine Limited 2005 with 49,000 miles. Had loss of power. Not complete, but could only get 55 mph out of engine-40 on hills. Finally made it to camping world on I35. Engine was ok next morning-ran good-power good. Cummins checked and SAid it was a J1939 error code which deals with the multiplexer. Looking for suggestions. thanks. robert landrum from Mississippi traveling thru Texas.

jrlandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Bob- J1939 is the green/yellow twisted pair "network" wire set on the coach. It splices at the front and at the rear to spider out to all devices that need to "talk" to any other device on the rig. Engine, Trans, Vansco's front & rear, Actia gauge cluster (incl idiot light sets), ABS (maybe, could be wrong about that one). Vansco takes various inputs and puts their signals out on the J1939, for example you step on the brake- engine reads the output signal from Vansco that brake is in use & ECM disables cruise control. Trans & engine have various interactions (shift points vs RPM vs fuel demand) for which the signal travels on the twisted pair.

Could have been a Vansco brain fart. Could have been another device's brain fart. Could be an actual signal leak where the twisted pair insulation is nicked or a connector isn't seated fully & wiggles loose w/road vibration. Could have been a low voltage problem, tho you should get a low voltage indication on the Actia LED message center if that's the case.

IIWMI'd turn the chassis battery switch to OFF, wait 30 seconds, turn it to ON. If coach runs fine, ignore it. If it happens again, pull coach over, cycle the chassis battery switch & see if that cures it. If it becomes an epidemic, have a shop chase it down.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Or, Fuel Filter.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Smile Engine losing power

Thnks for all of your replies. I have had my fuel filters replaced within the last month. I will start checking lose connections. ThANKS Engineer Mike for the info. Good to hear from all of you and thanks again for your help. will post the results as time goes along. See you on the roADS. ROBERT
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #5

If it were mine I replace the fuel filter again. You can get a bad tank of fuel anywhere, since you changed the filter. I know many years ago my motorhome was running fine and I got a bad tank a fuel and I could hardly make it up a hill. Changed the filter and it was fine. Fleetguard makes a filter minder that I put on the outlet of the suction filter and it works great. It has a green safe range, just like an air filter indicator. I know exactly when to change my filter.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

Kraig- would you happen to have a part# or reference on that filter minder? Maybe a source?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #7

Mike,

Fleetguard 3892577 S. Cummins has it. I just teed it right out of the filter. It worked fine on the ISC and the ISL. It has a green safe range and red change filter. Takes the guess work out and is cheaper than replacing filters when not needed.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - I went looking out on the Internet for that part number and discovered that Fleetguard has discontinued that part and replaced it with
3925199S.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

Thanks gents.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #10

Update on Engine POwer Loss

This is an update and request for additional information regarding power loss while traveling down the road. Thanks to Engineer Mike, Mule Skinner and Kraig for suggestions. I left Austin, Tx headed for Breau Bridge, La as a mid stop on my way home to Mississippi. No problems with power. South of Hattiesburg, MS my RV started losing power again. Not as much loss as before. I could accrelate and fill some power sometime(As you would think that trash moving around in the filter might cause) When I stopped for fuel, I cut the chassis batteries off and let it sit for 1 minute and then cut back on(As Engineer Mike suggested). This did not reset or eliminate or give me my engine power back. Made it home and parked Coach. Today, I carried my coach back to the place that had changed my fuel filters and talked with him about what the coach was doing. He changed the fuel filter (as mule skinner and kraig suggested) but we found no trash in the container when we emptied the fuel filter. Ran the coach down the road and it ran fine.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted all of you to know that I took your suggestions serious. Looking for additional suggestions!! Thanks. Do any of you know if any previous Alpine Technicians work in RV Centers near me?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - A fellow Alpine coach owner told me about a situation in which he was losing power. Changed fuel filter and ran fine for several hundred miles and started losing power again. He finally got to a Cummins shop where they declared the fuel to be corrupted with algae. They supplied him with some additive and yes a new filter and didn't have any more problems. So, what about trying some additive?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #12

Losing power isn't an Alpine thing, its a Cummins thing, so you don't need Alpine specific help.

Could also be loose power or ground to the engine's computer. Start at battery box & remove the negative cables @ batteries (for my rig this is a single connection on the start batteries where house & start negative cables tie together & to the neg post of one start batt). Once there is no 12V to the chassis, check all +12V & ground connections in the battery box including in the black metal box on the back wall of battery compartment, then go under the chassis behind the black box & check the main black & red stud connections, then verify all ground connections from engine to chassis. Check connections on chassis battery shut off switch (back side of switch). You will probably find some of these connection less than tight. Re-connect grounds to batteries & tighten.
Then retest on the road.
Also nothing wrong w/suggestion to run a course of additive thru the tank. I like Stanadyne Performance Formula if I can get it.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #13

Fleetguard does make different micron filters for the suction side. I run the smaller micron size.

Here are pictures of filter minder I have use for may years and in my opinion works good. New Fleetguard number is 3925199s.

As far as fuel additives I never used anything for years. I live in Oregon and the whole state requires B-5 biodesel. There are other states requiring biodiesel. My Alpine came from the east coast and probably never had biodiesel. I found out biodiesel does a good job of cleaning tanks. I don't know how many filters I replaced until I got it cleaned out. Now I change my filters once a year. About one year ago, I went to truck fleet manager meeting and everyone agreed that they all they all have more problems now with algae and whatever else in their storage tanks. There were samples from different tanks in glass jars drawn and they looked pretty bad. All these fleets were using some additive.There is several good products out there. I did talk to one large distributor and he sells and recommends Power Service, Diesel Kleene. The good thing about it is available at truck stops and Wal Mart. I just measure and dump some every time I fuel. It works good for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	22582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	22583  

2007 Toyota 4-Runner