Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Engine maint.light

So 5 miles from leaving home my EML comes on.I pulled over and shut her down for 30 seconds and fired the rig back up and no more light? Drove 35 miles and still no light? I hear that a lot of things can bring about this light the manual says warns operator of an active component? ok that tells me a lot.Or system fault and that the situation is not an emergency.I am about 75 miles from a cummins shop.If this light stays off I'm not going to get to worried. I wounder if this light can be like the ABS light, comes on now and then? I couldn't find anything stating what it may or may not be. I know the response will be go get the ECM checked.I just wanted to hear some feed back from others that have had issues with this light.

2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I had the EML come on when the fuel filter/water separator needed to be changed. However, the coach was jerking quite a bit when stepping on the accelerator pedal.

My personal opinion is that the EML is a whole different issue than the ABS light. I would simply HAVE to know why even if it's a flakey ECM. I'd be going to Cummins to have it diagnosed. And, you know what they say about opinions.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost to have a shop tell you you need to change your fuel filter? The coach runs great and all fluid levels are fine to include temps.I think I'll wait to get a second alert. I spoke with a diesel mech and he said he wouldn't loose any sleep over it and to see if it comes back on.Now the stop engine light would be a hole different thing.So if it comes back on I will be parting with more of my travel funds.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

EML can light when a sensor reports data out of range, and that may never happen again. Not likely to result in a code set, tho that is possible, probably a min. shop charge to hook up scan tool & read engine codes.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I diagnosed it myself based upon the jerking action when trying to accelerate and some past history (long story!).

I took it to a "diesel generic" truck & RV shop and requested a fuel filter replacement. They wanted to perform a diagnostic but I deferred that effort to see if the filter fixed the problem. It did.

If I recall, I believe either Cummins or the "diesel generic" shop claimed that they could provide a readout of the ECM via the diagnostic port for $95 and perform some programming changes while they're at it.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

The CEL on my 03 will come on sometimes if I start driving right after starting the engine--think it is related to exhaust manifold temps. On the 03, the wax valve in the radiator doesnt open right away [epecially on cool mornings] so the engine goes thru a short temp spike. I dont believe in long warm-up cycles but you do need to let the engine warm a bit before driving at hi-way speeds--short of a computer check to see if any codes were set, we are all guessing.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a VMSpc on our rig, can pretty much read anything the engine/trans puts out with it if I want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have a VMSpc on our rig, can pretty much read anything the engine/trans puts out with it if I want.
Knowledge is king for sure.Sounds like a good investment.This is the only rig I own that I am at the mercy of a fee to learn if there is an issue.I like the idea of having a clue than being clue less.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
Knowledge is king for sure.Sounds like a good investment.This is the only rig I own that I am at the mercy of a fee to learn if there is an issue.I like the idea of having a clue than being clue less.
Though I don't always use my VMSpc, it does give lots of info and would be really useful in diagnosing problems or impending problems. It also helps in getting to "know" your coach better, the different ranges of everything, etc. I'm glad I bought it. It was cheaper at rvupgrades.com. Software is free from SilverLeaf.