Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Engine Overheat Problems

Hi, I need some input from the Alpine experts. I have a 2008 40MDTS with almost 97000 miles on it which I bought new. I tow a full size Yukon XL Denali with a 5800 pound curb weight. I have towed a like size vehicle about 90000 of the total 97K miles. I am having overheating problems that come and go, sometimes pulling a long grade or even on the flat when temps are close to 100. I have replaced the radiator and charge air and thermostat not because of this problem, but for information about 20000 miles ago. This problem is intermitant and usually pulling over and idling cools it down, last trip CA to Idaho 24 times. I have had it to Cummin's three times and they can not find any problem, only codes that show it got hot, but not hot enough to do any damage. They are at a loss. I discussed the possibility of the hydralic fan and they said no, they either work or don't work. I am out of ideas and do not trust the coach to take a trip as we live in Idaho and anywhere we go is in the desert. I am hoping someone on the forum may have solved a simular problem and can shed some light on my problem. I have search the forum, but didn't find anything of help. Thanks in advance for any input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cruising View Post
Hi, I need some input from the Alpine experts. I have a 2008 40MDTS with almost 97000 miles on it which I bought new. I tow a full size Yukon XL Denali with a 5800 pound curb weight. I have towed a like size vehicle about 90000 of the total 97K miles. I am having overheating problems that come and go, sometimes pulling a long grade or even on the flat when temps are close to 100. I have replaced the radiator and charge air and thermostat not because of this problem, but for information about 20000 miles ago. This problem is intermitant and usually pulling over and idling cools it down, last trip CA to Idaho 24 times. I have had it to Cummin's three times and they can not find any problem, only codes that show it got hot, but not hot enough to do any damage. They are at a loss. I discussed the possibility of the hydralic fan and they said no, they either work or don't work. I am out of ideas and do not trust the coach to take a trip as we live in Idaho and anywhere we go is in the desert. I am hoping someone on the forum may have solved a simular problem and can shed some light on my problem. I have search the forum, but didn't find anything of help. Thanks in advance for any input.

When you are on those long grades, are you down shifting to keep your RPMs up over 1800. That ISL makes its max hp up around 2000-2100 RPMs and likes to run up close to that point when pulling hard. It also maximizes the coolant velocity through the engine.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Marvin - I think I would get another opinion about the fan. I assume everything else regarding normal air, coolant flow and hydraulic fluid flow was verified OK. I also assume you haven't done anything to modify the power output of the engine.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Marvin, open the engine access door at the rear of the coach. This will improve the air flow over the radiator and also cool the engine compartment off. I done this when climbing mountains out west and when temps are high.

Jim Durley
2004 Alpine 40mdts
Old 06-11-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

Do you have the ISL 425, with right side exhaust? I have the ISL 425 with an overheating problem that I have came up with some answers to my problem. I made another call today, which I did not get a reply yet.

Also it would be helpful if on your signature if you posted which engine you have.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

First, pretty sure the last two model years of Alpines had the 425. Second, given the power to weight ratios for Alpines, they have the power to pull at lower RPMs, so overriding the Allison gear selection to increase RPMs is critical for cooling on long grades. On very warm days, leaving the back engine compartment door open helps a lot and ultimately keeps the bedroom a bit cooler too. Curious though, what kind of engine temps are you talking about when you define your "overheating" problem?
PS--plz reduce your font size stop bolding for future msgs......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #7

overheating

Does your engine have a wax valve? It controls when the fan motor comes on? I had that replaced once as it seems to be a common problem. With me though it ended up not being the wax valve but the fan motor itself. A shop can test the radiator fan motor speed. On my setup the fan wsas supposed to be turning 2500rpm. It wasn't. Had to replace the motor. Now all is fine. Good luck been there done that pain in the ---.

safe travels
Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #8

No wax valves since 03......
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

I talked to someone the other day with 2008 that did not have the 425. The 425 hyd fan are controlled entirely differently than any of the previous Alpines. They are controlled by
a variable resistance coil controlled by the ECM. I am waiting for Marvin to say what engine he has?
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 06-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #10

Something simple that I would check is that your coolant recovery tank has a 16 to 18 lb. Cap and not a 8 lb. like what was on mine. I had high temp problems on occasions also lost coolant over time.
Once i changed it, problem went away.
Just a suggestion, that's all.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #11

Engine Overheat Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
Do you have the ISL 425, with right side exhaust? I have the ISL 425 with an overheating problem that I have came up with some answers to my problem. I made another call today, which I did not get a reply yet.

Also it would be helpful if on your signature if you posted which engine you have.

From his profile (Click!)

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465682167.865569.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  37.5 KB

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

I was not aware that there were no wax valves since 2003. Maybe on the ISL 400 and the ISL 425, there is not that much difference how the fan is controlled. Could someone with the ISL 400 say if there is a coil that mounted on a aluminum block with all the the fan hydraulic hoses. Mine is located high above the transmission directly under the floor. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160526_145009_005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	129927  
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 06-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

In answer to a couple of responses. I always downshift as I have owned a fleet of semi's in our buisness in an earlier life. Radiator cap is 16 lb which I understand is correct and has been checked. I have not opened the rear access door but will if I can't solve this. My mind is leaning towards a fan problem, but am going to try and do more research as to what I have and exactly how it is supposed to operate since Cummins is telling me it is one speed. I need to look at whether it has a way of accelerationg the fan speed under load or temprature and if that part is working correctly. And yes, I have the older 400ISL.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

Fan speed could be an issue--don't think WRV changed the electronic fan controller that came out in 05 to replace the mechanical wax valve--but they could have. I am pretty sure the controller produces multiple fan speeds base on engine temps and RPMs. Curious, how long has it been since you replaced the fluid and filters in your engine hydraulic system [used to power brakes, steering and engine fan]?

Tags
ems, engine, heat, problems