Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #15

Smile

For what its worth. I agree with whoever said not to trust the sight bulb. Somehow the coolant seems to stain the inside and "appears" to be full when its not. Also I have added a coolant recovery tank in the past to my 03 Alpine and also to my current 05 HR Navigator. Easy and cheap. Get a 1 gallon plastic milk container. It fits perfectly down in back of the engine on the frame. Then just direct the overflow rubber tube into the plastic container. When the engine is warm add 1/2 gallon of coolant/water to the plastic container. As the engine cools the coolant will be sucked into the engine. From then on the coolant will be pushed out into the container when the engine is warm and the be sucked back into the engine as it cools. You will know for sure that your engine is full of coolant.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #16

Great tip to add the recovery tank. The steel tank is a "surge" tank to allow coolant expansion. If your cap is ever weak temp will creep up & push coolant out. The recovery tank allows capture & return of that coolant back to the surge tank. You can get a good kit at NAPA or O'Reilly for about $15 that is purpose built, and has a 2.5" cap that allows easy adding of coolant (now it goes into the overflow where it gets sucked back to the surge tank when engine cools, and you don't have to fight the hard-to-reach surge tank cap).

I check coolant w/a string & steel washer, rather than the sight glass, unless the sight glass is clearly full of liquid. If it isn't clearly all liquid, level is suspect. With the coolant recovery tank, I can overfill the surge tank (well above the sight glass) and what goes out comes back in and it stays full for a long time.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #17

Thermostat

Since I had a local shop replace? My thermostat last fall I only used my coach a few times during the winter. Each time I started it seemed like it took 20 minutes to a half an hour for temp. Gauge to get up to 140-150. I took it out this last weekend in warmer weather and it's the same thing. Wait 20 minutes plus then drive slowly for several miles before it gets up to 195. I have only owned the coach since Sept. 2011, does this sound normal or do you think the repair shop took out the old thermostat and didn't put a new one in?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
At idle the temp. will not get up to 195. You must put the engine under load to get the temp up. Driving it is the best way.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
You can set the engine to a high idle after start-up (using cruise control, if it works) for a few minutes, then move out into slow traffic to build up temps. Usually by the time I hit the freeway, I just slowly accelerate up to 55 and the temps come up quickly.

If you start out cold and go directly to the freeway, just idle a bit longer. Preferably near the campground exit, not amongst your fellow campers.

Idling out of the campground is not going to hurt your engine at low temps.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
FF - As mentioned idle will not get the engine up to operating temp. Fast idle will but it takes a while, you should learn how to engage it. It should start with the on/off button of the cruise control "on", and push the set button, the engine should bump up to 900-1100 rpm. If this does not work, there may be other issues going on. If you think shop did not repair correctly, you can ask them to check it again, or take it to cummins (join power club to save money), they know exactly how the cooling system works, and if the thermostat is bad. Change the cap as well, believe it's 17lb pressure cap.

Now with that said, do a search on this forum for cooling issues, read all the posts, it's been mentioned and I checked with Cummins too, that engine should not have any load on it until 140F reached, then no highway load until 160, and then take it easy until 180F is reached. Now you can get the coach up to 140 with fast idle, then to 160 pretty easy if you have a few miles to drive on city streets prior to Interstate/Highway entrance. Please remember to again cool down the engine after sustained highway run, at least 4 minutes. Some folks here, and not necessarily alpine owners, have stated that just taking it into the campground will cool it down enough, I have my doubts, because, any RPM's over 1000, cause the turbo to spin up, to provide boost pressure, so it's building up heat again. Check your owner’s manual, it outlines exactly what warm-up and cool down should entail. I use 4-5 minutes cool down religiously.

My temperatures for non-toad highway travel is: 180-185, with toad in tow: 190-195. Going up long hills, as needed to keep RPM in the 1900-2100 range (causes hydraulic powered fan to spin at high speed & max boost pressure). I don't get higher than 199-201 (with toad) or so doing it this way, so manually shift down if necessary to keep engine running at above rpm’s/speed (on mine it’s 45 mph or so. Don't forget to up shift once you have reached the top, then use engine brake as necessary to keep from going downhill faster than you went up. That is what we were taught in CDL training.

Now with that said, once we get coach back from shop with new radiator, CRC, etc, my temps most likely will be different, so I won't know what my new baseline is until I drive it some. That will necessitate stopping and checking coolant lots of times as the air works its way out of the system, and to check for leaks. Going to take a month of checking out to make sure it's fixed correctly. EM - I am going to get overflow tank from O'Riley's before I get coach back, and install it while it's in shop. Then I'm going to fill it up 8/10's full to hopefully to get the air out and coolant in without too much work.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #21

O.R.- you should be able to fill the surge tank which will spill over into engine easily to fill the system w/coolant. Shouldn't need overflow more than 1/2 full. Just make sure after initial start the sight glass is actually full, or else keep adding coolant till it is full.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Thanks for the replys. I love this forum. What I am taking from the replys is to warm up at a faster idle to get to 140 quicker, then drive easy till the 180 range and don't forget to do idle down for at least 4 minutes plus before shut down. Let me know if I misinterpreted anything. Thanks again guys the responses are great stress relievers.

John & Lorraine Foster
2004 Alpine 34' ISL
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Spot on Fostfreez!