RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Engine Picking Up a Skip

Hey Folks

We were headed to Nashville from home yesterday and as we started passing through a really rough stretch in Birmingham on the interstate, everything was banging around and one of the shades on a window even came loose, had to slow down to 40 or so to keep from beating it to death.

Shortly after that engine starting picking up a skip now and then. Sort of came and went and most of the time it was when climbing hills and pushing the load on the engine. Got to where I would downshift to 5th gear to get over and still did it some. in that gear at times.

At the time we had planned to stop for fuel on the north side of Birmingham and were a little below 1/4 tank of fuel. Filled up and sometimes it would do ok on flat stretches, but was still skipping intermittently - we run around 63 to 65 normally. Got into Nashville and looked at the diagnostics on my Silverleaf and had a gang of reading from the engine. They started about the time we hit that rough stretch looking at the times. Wondering if something came loose or coincidence. Fuel filter was changed around 6 months ago, but we have not used it much during the summer.

Here were some of the readings
94 Fuel Delivery pressure - abnormal reading
48 Injector cylinder #18 - high pressure reading
66 ignition control mode signal - frequency error
56 injector #18 - low pressure reading
68 - secondary turbo inlet pressure - frequency error
54 - auxiliary output device driver - low voltage

Plan to later on today just poke around the engine areas and look for fuel leaks, any wiring hanging loose and such. Have a spare fuel filter if though that would help. Remember seeing in the docs when we bought this that the fuel pump had been replaced at some stage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks
Bruce

Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

About 4-5 years ago my engine developed a skip, gauges would swing wildly, but engine never quit running.
Well, a year or so later another problem caused me to begin searching for that problem. Eventually i discovered a loose ground connection on the firewall, tightened the nuts, problem disappeared; then I noticed the engine skip also disappeared.
I had forgotten a fact, over 80% of all 12V issues(fuel solenoid must see 12VDC to open) are the result of a poor/missing ground.
That was my problem and solution, yours may be different.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks - been poking around the engine area looking for any suspects. I'll check up front too given the amount of wires. I've tried when have extra time to pull some off the wires scattered all over and clean them and check the connections. Had a new boat engine years back that would run and stop, run and stop. Just as I was getting ready to take it back to the dealer noticed a wire hanging loose underneath - yep the ground wire was not tightened to the block when it came from the factory. Sometimes it would lay against the block and let it run, then hit a bump and it would unground.

Always something
Bruce
Old 09-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

Change the first fuel filter. Fueling up stirs up the junk in the tank and cloggs it.

Cheaper then running it thru a shop diagnoses test.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Engine Picking Up a Skip

Check the connections on the rear Vansco
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Was planning to change the filter today - figured nothing to lose. Mine is the 2001 so no Vansco on her. Keep poking around and see if anything jumps out. Not leaving until Thu so will see what happens

Thanks
Bruce
Old 09-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Well changed the fuel filter, looked around the engine compartment for anything out of place. No leaks I can see anywhere. Ran fine for 2 hr run to next place. Then head home and ran great for about 6 hours straight and was thinking maybe it was the fuel filter. Then started picking up the skip again periodically. Not as bad as the first time. Might go 10 to 20 minutes and fine, then a couple of skips. Did notice the last 25 miles where on 2 lane and running lower speed around 40-50 no skips. As the first time, it did this more when climbing hills over a long stretch. Beginning to wonder if the lift pump may be going away.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Did you dump the old filters and look at the fuel.

You could have a tank full of crud, that's breaking loose, clogging your filters.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Question for other 2001 owners, the 2001 have the secondary fuel filter?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I did dump the fuel out and let it sit. Didn't see anything there and looked clean to me. I've had a boat where I had a fuel tank with crud and that was easy to tell that was the issue. Had to remove and clean it. With the boats when the filter started having issues it was not intermittent, more started sputtering then dead, but a lot smaller engine.

Know mine only has the single filter. Would be nice to add a second filter on this one somewhere and lower the microns on the filters between them going to the engine.

Thanks
Bruce

Tags
engine