Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Engine Repair Facilities?

Greetings Ladies and Gents,
I'm prepping for the long run to Fairbanks this coming June/July and have discovered a small fuel leak from the Injector Module(?). Not something to deal with thousands of miles from home.
I called CalPac Cummins of Irvine, for the repair, along with replacement of the Transmission Fluid/Filter, etc. WELL, they stated that they no longer work on RV Coaches and referred me to their facility in Bloomington? SHEESH!
There's GOT to be other reputable people in this neck of the woods, (Orange County CA). Can any of you Gurus give me some much needed advice? Sure, I'm willing to drive out to TimBuckTwo, if I can get good work but….
Thanks, and see any and all going, in Temecula. Sincerely, newby Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Isn't Redlands RV & Truck in that area? I haven't used them yet but will while heading to Temecula like you. Everyone on this forum who has used there services always provides a positive review.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Engine Repair

Roblfish,

Try Cal Pac Cummins in ElCajon--they did the fuel line brace recall on my coach.

sdcyclist
(who works in Irvine at Allergan)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Colton Truck Terminal Garage,
They repaired my fuel leak that was just a loose injector nut.
They serviced my transmission and repaired my clucking front end.

They did me right.
Very busy shop so make appointment and get there early.
Gator
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Redlands Truck Service has worked hard to develop a good reputation amongst Alpine Coach owners. They have helped support some of our rallies. When there I almost always meet a fellow Alpine Coach owner.

As with car repairs, I hate to have to take a vehicle back because something is not right. Or wait an excessive amount of time for repairs. I never have those problem with them.

Just not in OC!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

I have been doing all my regular service, and a couple radiator exchanges, at Cummins Cal Pacific in El CA for several years now and was surprised to hear that the Irvine Cal Pacific was not catering to RV’s. I just got off the phone with my service writer and asked him about the Irvine situation; it was all news to him because they are still actively servicing RV’s. I told him that I was under the impression that Irvine was the headquarters for Cummins Cal Pacific. He confirmed this and said he had heard nothing regarding a change of policy at Irvine. In fact he said, there at El Cajon, they are currently working on seven coaches. He thought there may be some sort of misunderstanding regarding just what Irvine will do for service. He did say that they would still do anything regarding the engine and Onan generators, but not transmissions. I should have asked whether Cal Pacific, and all of their subsidiaries, are still considered “Coach Care” facilities. At one time most, if not all, Cummins maintenance facilities were advertised as doing total coach care. Possibly this is where there might be some confusion regarding the type of coach work the Irvine Cummins facility will perform. For example, I know that Cummins Northwest has performed HWH, HydroHot, and other services in addition to engine work; I would assume that they are continuing to do so.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Yeah , just a loose nut, that's all it looks like to me as I look at it with engine running. I don't have the proper tool to check the torque. I AM concerned that, like many a mechanic will, that I'll be stuck with a higher priced "fix" than that. We'll see. From comments to this point, things are looking up.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
That is extremely interesting Dick. I was told by CalPac office personnel that Irvine no longer performs work on "Coaches". I shall call tomorrow and possibly get some clarification. They're only a matter of a ten minute ride (tops) from my storage yard, versus over an hour to Redlands, depending upon time of day.
I felt that they did acceptable work for me in January, replacing the exhaust header and the fuel lift pump, which was supposed to mitigate the fuel leak. It turned out on the next trip that I still realize a fuel leak, which I have not yet attempted to get corrected.
Interestingly enough, I requested the old/broken parts (especially the cracked exhaust header) but was told that since I hadn't requested so "before work was completed" that they couldn't provide them. I guess that was fair, but it would have been nice to verify the header broken. Anyway, since I've read on these pages that broken headers is not unusual and that care must be taken to cool down the motor before shutdown.
Sincere thanks for your kind input, Bob.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #9

If you read thru this forum you will learn that not all Cummins repair facilities are created equally. Unfortunately, there isnt enough of a database among us to sort out which are good vs those that arent. If you had a fuel leak and they didnt fix it--you need them to explain what they "fix"?????and why you still have a leak. Not having the old parts avail for inspection after the work is done is troubling. Yes, the exhaust manifold is a known issue and cool down periods may help but you might also consider the number of times per day you shut-down. IMHO, the fewer heat/cool cycles you have per day the better--I usually leave the engine run during short stops like re-fueling and brief rest stops....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout,
We've all noticed all the truckers leaving their engines running. Wasn't aware that "cycling" was their reasoning but it certainly is logical. I thought it had to do with leaving A/C systems on while at rest. I shall make it a point to take your advice. I know of the "slow-cooldown" process, meant to gradually cool down the turbocharger, avoiding the curtailment of cooling-oil during shutdown. Now I have more longevity information. It'll will be part of the checklist.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
The Irvine location did eliminate their Coach Care service, though they still service the gensets and will do some engine maintenance service. They sent me and my my manifold work out to their Montebello location, now relocated to Downey.

The Montebello location was cheaper for maintenance and light-years faster at turn-around. However, they could never produce the "broken parts" for me, ever.

If you need work on the house-side of the coach, I found that Premier Coach in Santa Ana does a fantastic job. In fact, they did lots of work for Cal Pacific Cummins, when their Coach Care operation was functional. The owner, John, is an avid RVer (Silver Eagle) and knows just about everything on any coach. He's done work for several other Alpiners, too. He's also great at remodels, since he has converted and remodeled many highline coaches and buses.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblfish View Post
Yeah , just a loose nut, that's all it looks like to me as I look at it with engine running. I don't have the proper tool to check the torque. I AM concerned that, like many a mechanic will, that I'll be stuck with a higher priced "fix" than that. We'll see. From comments to this point, things are looking up.
Hi roblfish, Are you talking about an injector nut??? Mine leaked, a 1/2 turn solved the problem. No I do not have a torque wrench. If this is your problem, I think it can be taken care of with an open end wrench.. You probably do not need a shop.. best wishes, old trucker
Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
Hi roblfish, Are you talking about an injector nut??? Mine leaked, a 1/2 turn solved the problem. No I do not have a torque wrench. If this is your problem, I think it can be taken care of with an open end wrench.. You probably do not need a shop.. best wishes, old trucker
Thanks, Old Trucker,
I sure appreciate the advice, but my open-end wrenches wouldn't do the job.
I took the advice of many friends here and trekked to Redlands, CA….to get "taken care of righteously".
The problem now, after four "treks", that I STILL have a leak, and if anything it's worse than before.
I required that my MH be in "tip top shape" for our upcoming trip, so allowed myself to be talked into a few performance items, over and above the problem I actually needed repaired….which of course was, and still is, the leak. Time was of concern, so I indicated to them that I was committed to attending the "Temecula Rally". They replied that they would do their best.
We arrived on the assigned day at 6:30 am, in anticipation of their 7am opening, so decided to wait until our rig was completed…in an attempt to forgo an additional 100 mile roundtrip. We waited all day, without a peep from them as to progress or problems found.
So, we made our way back to the repair facility near closing-time and was told that there was a delay, waiting for parts, so we either could wait overnight in the rig or return the next day.
To make a long story shorter, we went back to pick up, found the leak still present and was told, "Oh, didn't you look at the notes on your invoice? (of which the bottom-line was $4500, yes, I DID get some performance items installed). The notes said that they "advised/diagnosed the problem" only, not that they had repaired it. Their explanation? "Well, we steam-cleaned the area, so now you can drive to Temecula and upon your return we'll better know where the leak comes from".
Well, the story goes on longer but now, after spending nearly $6500 (admittedly on other MH extras, as well as expecting the leak to be gone), I am told that now the Injection Pump needs to be replaced and since it "was only made for two years" it's "rather expensive". Oh really? How much, I say. Yes, they say, the pump alone, without labor for its installation, is $6500.
Without anymore "whining", here I sit. I declined further "repairs" since the back account is close to being drained….and I STILL have the leak!
What I stated earlier about there always being more? It still goes, just like my leak.
I know this message has been drawn-out, not unlike waiting for your coach to be completed at Redlands. It's not a complete accounting by any means, but you get the jist.
I now am in the process of researching said Injection Pump, hopefully to obtain one more reasonably and install it on my own.

Tags
repair