Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #1

Yesterday, while driving along at about 60 mph., lights on the dash came on, and the engine shut down momentarily. As we were preparing to get to the side of the road, everything started up again. We drove another 150 miles or so home uneventfully.

Oh, how much I hope this was a one-time thing! Has anyone else had this problem?

Beverly and Buddy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #2

Yesterday, while driving along at about 60 mph., lights on the dash came on, and the engine shut down momentarily. As we were preparing to get to the side of the road, everything started up again. We drove another 150 miles or so home uneventfully.

Oh, how much I hope this was a one-time thing! Has anyone else had this problem?

Beverly and Buddy

Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
Bev & Bud, Happened to us twice. Exactly the same thing. Once last year and again this year. This time I was going home from the Nahville Rally, Up the side of the mountain when it happened, WOW, it's a scary feeling. All seem well for now.

Take it to Cummins and have them put it on the computer.

We found first time it was a loose connection on the battery cutoff switch. This last time they couldn't find anything specific but tightened all connections on the non-switched side.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #4

Thanks Jeff and Linda,

I guess we can take it to any Cummins service that will do motor homes. We don't have to take it to Coach Care, do we? We live over 130 mi. from a Coach Care facility.

We will probably be taking it out on the road in a couple weeks, though.

Beverly
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just took mine to the closest Cummins service facility. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
This has happened to Donna and me about three times. No one has figured it out yet we have tightened all of the battery connections replaced the wire from the ignition switch to the computer (ECM) and it has still repeated itself. The VMS indicated that the ECM lost 12 volt power. The engine has always come back on while still driving. Someone suggested that it may be the ignition switch. If it happens again that is what I'll replace.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7

Had engine shut off on exit ramp turning sharp. Decided it was low fuel and got air in the lines. Still not convinced. Wont let it get to eighth of a tank again.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:23 AM   #8

Thanks for these replies. At least we're not alone in this. We appreciate the tips on the possible causes.

We were on a level interstate with almost 1/2 tank fuel, so low fuel wasn't the problem.

I guess one could say in all of your experiences, the engine came right back on. It's still scary, though.

Beverly
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #9

Engine shut down 3 different times while coasting to a stop on test drives during factory PDI pickup. Izzy (WRV tech) reported they could find anything wrong. Problem did not reoccur until a month later. ENGINE DIED, LOST PWR BRAKES & STEERING WHILE TURNING ONTO a I-80 ON RAMP. Wrestled coach around the corner and coasted to a stop. Engine restarted with no probem. SILVERLEAF INDICATEd ECM MODULE LOST POWER. Took Coach to CUMMINGS MID-STATES POWER in Indy who reported they CLEANED GREASE FROM GND JCT IN BATTERY COMPARTMENT ELECT PANEL & RE-SECURED GND CONNECTION NEAR ENGINE OIL PAN. If thats all they did, then it apparently has resolved my problem with the engine dieing as that was was 12k miles and 13 months ago.
BTF
Old 12-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Had the same thing happen to my 2001 40 , same thing happened now and then for a year until I told Louie Burch. He put 2 buss barrs on bulkhead of my battery compartment and only 1 wire from each post to buss bar and added another ground wire to frame. NEVER HAD IT HAPPEN AGAIN
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I thought i'd bring this topic back to the top for a second go. I was curious to know if Bev & Bud found out what caused the problem, did you take your coach to Cummins.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #12

Jeff and Linda,

We haven't taken the MH in to a Cummins place yet. Over the Christmas period, my brother died in Oklahoma, and I was back there for 9 days. Then we took MH in for refrig. problems (to be told there weren't any). Brought it home for now. We will probably take it out in a couple weeks, probably back to Florida. Pretty much thought we'd wait until we were closer to a Cummins place.

Thanks for remembering and asking. I'll keep you posted.

Beverly
Old 01-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard and Cris:
Had engine shut off on exit ramp turning sharp. Decided it was low fuel and got air in the lines. Still not convinced. Wont let it get to eighth of a tank again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Low fuel, happend to me as well. With a 100 gal. tank, 20 gal. spred over a large area then in a turn it's not enough fuel to find the pick up.
Fill at 1/4 tank or don't turn. :idea:
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I was talking to anoher Apex owner here at the Tampa RV show and he had his engine quit as he was pulling in to park.He found the master electic switch in the battery compartment in the off position.