Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #1

The WRV manual says to let the engine temperature reach 170 degrees before driving off. This seems to take a while, but we have been doing it.

But the WRV manual doesn't say anything about what the engine temperature should be before shutting down - in fact the manual doesn't say anything at all about shut down. Ours seems to be between 170 and 180 by the time we reach our campsite and I have never seen it lower after running for a while, so I assume this temp is "OK" for .

We got the wrong cummins manual (400 ISC instead of ISL), but it didn't say anything about idling speeds at all. It's more of an installation manual - not an operator's manual.

I have read that you have to let the engine cool after highways speeds, but that if you have been driving slow for a while the engine is usually at an OK temperature.

I know that excessive idling is not good, but that some idling may be necessary depending on engine temp. Any education on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #2

The WRV manual says to let the engine temperature reach 170 degrees before driving off. This seems to take a while, but we have been doing it.

But the WRV manual doesn't say anything about what the engine temperature should be before shutting down - in fact the manual doesn't say anything at all about shut down. Ours seems to be between 170 and 180 by the time we reach our campsite and I have never seen it lower after running for a while, so I assume this temp is "OK" for .

We got the wrong cummins manual (400 ISC instead of ISL), but it didn't say anything about idling speeds at all. It's more of an installation manual - not an operator's manual.

I have read that you have to let the engine cool after highways speeds, but that if you have been driving slow for a while the engine is usually at an OK temperature.

I know that excessive idling is not good, but that some idling may be necessary depending on engine temp. Any education on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Audrey
Old 05-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #3

I have never heard of anyone waiting for their engine to get to 170 before taking off. The common practice is to wait until the air is up to pressure and take out slowly, not stressing the engine. As far as cool down goes, it is the turbo that requires cooling down. Sometimes there is dissenting opinions on this but everything I have read by authoritive publications says that cool down is virtually never required. If the engine is working hard immediately before shutdown, the turbo will be hot and should be allowed to cool down for three to five minutes. However, most of the time just pulling into the area where you plan to shut down (campgrounds, etc.) allows adequate cool down for the turbo.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #4

Steve is correct there is no need to let the engine worm up before taking off. Let the air bags air up and take off with out lugging the engine and everthing will be O.K.

The cool down is only necessary if you have been working the engine hard and pull off the freeway with out the engine running any time to let the turbo cool down. You only need to let the engine Idle for about 3-5 min at the most.

Normally by the time you get to an exit and get stopped the turbo has ran enough to cool down. It will not hurt the engine to idle for the 3 - 5 min but try not to let the engine idle much more than this. The excessive idling is hard on the engine and wast fuel.

You will find Truckers letting the engine idle but this is because they have no other way to get A/C or heat beside running the engine. They normally are not paying for the fuel or maintance.
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #5

Idling to 170* is going to take an unreasonable amount of time in some situations, and IMO be unnecessary. Naturally aspirated (no turbo boost) diesel ignition is about 173* plus or minus a bit. turning up the whole engine, coolant, oil, etc. to 170 at idle, when the combustion is only 173 would require a lotta time when its cold out.
I would follow the above advice.