Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #15

UN hook the batteries first.

Take pictures of the cable locations.

Match up the noses once the old one is out. Sometimes they are in a different clock position. Having ordered it for your application, good chance it's right.

If it's wrong, you could have clearance problems with the solenoid or getting to the top bolt.

The nose can be changed with a Allen wrench.

Make sure you tighten the bolts. Remember how much pull, it took to loosen them and give them a little more then that , when tightening.

Some bolts use a 12 point wrench or socket.

Others will have you torque the bolts, that's up to you.

Being a retired, heavy equipment mechanic, myself, I have never met a one who did.

Last thing, hold the cable, while tightening the battery cable nut. If you can hold the back nut, better. Same with the neg. Cable. To much pressure and the solenoid can crack.

Is this why mechanics charge so much?

Good luck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Bob, when you get the old starter out compare the shaft diameter, gear size and tooth count on the new one BEFORE you install it, a mismatch can cause massive amounts of damage.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #17

Thanks for all the good information, Was able to take the old starter out this weekend, after trying to make like a contortionist, finally had good access thru the hatch under the bed. thanks Sandy, what a difference, took about a half hour after that. spent about an hour and a half, before deciding to get that final bolt and connections from the top. marked and tagged all connections before removing starter, as well as taking pictures. brought the old one out and brought it down to a local starter alternator shop. Starter was fried, ordered a new starter rather than a reman. Starter shop says new starter will be smaller and lighter, which is a relief, old one was heavy. going to replace the secondary solenoid as well. still don't understand why this all happened in the first place, checked all voltages all the way back and are all good. I will clean all posts and make sure all connections are tight when putting back together. Will post results after install. Hope to do it tomorrow but expecting snow tonight, so well see.Little snow all winter and allready in april two storms in a week. shouldnt complain, we need the moisture. Bob
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

IIWMI'd change the solenoid in the air cleaner bay regardless. First, its old & cheap, so no reason to suffer ongoing issues if that gizmo is contributing. Also, I'd do it before changing the starter, since the starter is a pain to do. Second, I'd load test the start batteries. You can have good voltage there static, but if they are old & tired they'll give you all sorts of headaches. Third, (doing all in this order) do a volt drop test while cranking the starter. If it drops more than 0.5 volts, you have a resistance problem (which might be starter or it might be elsewhere). Issue then is to determine where. If the F.D. mechanic did the volt drop test to determine replacement of starter, and then eliminated connections & cables, then you are good to go replacing it and should get good service going forward.

One place I've found bad connections regularly BTW (might be the problem here given clicking of another solenoid if its not bad batteries or cables or other connections) is the chassis battery disconnect switch. I'd say 1/3 of those I check are loose enough to require tightening.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #19

Thanks Mike, changing out the solenoid in rear compartment today. When trouble shooting, I found another solenoid. marked accessory solenoid in the panel directly across from the passenger seat, near the front door. It looks identicle to the solenoid in rear compartment. It was also clicking when I tried tried starting. probably should replace it also, not expensive.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #20

Do a search on the secondary solenoid--this forum....recommend rewiring the hot feed wire [small] to a switchable source. And/or a by-pass disconnect is advisable too. If the secondary solenoid ever fails in the closed position, you will have a "run=away" starter until you can disconnect it at the battery post--highly recommend this mod. Also suggest adding a back-beeper to the primary solenoid feed circuit to allow you to detect a run-away condition.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Do a search on the secondary solenoid--this forum....recommend rewiring the hot feed wire [small] to a switchable source. And/or a by-pass disconnect is advisable too. If the secondary solenoid ever fails in the closed position, you will have a "run=away" starter until you can disconnect it at the battery post--highly recommend this mod. Also suggest adding a back-beeper to the primary solenoid feed circuit to allow you to detect a run-away condition.....
Thanks I have read that post, it seems like an easy fix, I think i will add it. I will be aware when i start the coach from now on. I usually do my own maint., and have been able to do a lot of mechanics, but when it comes to electrical issues, my eyes glaze over. I have learned quite a bit about this coach, I don't think i would have been able to figure it all out with out this forum. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #22

The solenoid up front is for accessories. It controls power to your slides and jacks and other accessories . It should be energized when key is on or acc position. It will click when the key is turned off or on. I just replace mine.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Engine wont crank

If the accessory AND the starter solenoids are clicking I would REALLY suspect the batteries and test them before changing anything else. It would be a shame to replace the starter then find out the real problem is the batteries, that would be waste of $1,000 or more!

The starter solenoid should not be continuously engaged, so you are probably looking at multle problems, maybe being interrelated, like the starter solenoid being continuously engaged and running down the battery bank, causing the accessory solenoid to chatter/clicking.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #24

The starter is out, tested as bad and not $1000.00. It cranked itself to death.

Solenoids stick when volts are low, because amps go high and the contacts weld them self together. That's why a rap on it will stop the cranking.

The OP had changed the 2 solenoid that matter, not knowing which one was sticking.

The accessory solenoid will engage when the key is turned on, but some electrically disengage, while cranking and re-engage when you let go of the key. Has nothing to do with starting.

Do, load test, your starting batteries. Don't want to do this again.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #25

Finally got the new starter in, changed both solenoids, cleaned and tightened all connections, buddy came over load checked batteries, did a drop test, all checked out good. New starter was half the weight, easy to put back in. MH started right up. wife happy to have the driveway back. Thanks to all who chimed in to help, learned a ton. I will probably add a beeper and a shut off for the future. thanks again Bob

Tags
engine