Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Entire coaxial cable connections....

I recently bought a serious denon receiver to replace my RCA unit that lasted all of about 3 months...

I have to totally revamp the overhead compartment above the driver's seat.

Not a problem as I got a bit creative and formed a pull out tray that the new receiver sits on.

Now for the problems... First of all... That black switch with the A - B - C never did a thing.... along with the other black switch mounted to the side of the cabinet with a A- B switch...

None of this stuff EVER did anything... My back TV in the bedroom NEVER worked.. No matter what A-B-C position on the one switch and the A-B on the other...
Sooooooo.. I decided to pull all these wires out to the passenger side overhead compartment...

Now I got to tell you...... I never seen such a MESS of twisted bundled - dead ended coaxial cables running together with numerous 2-1 connectors with really no apparent reasoning to the whole mess..

What I can tell you is that 5 coaxial cables leave that compartment and go down the passenger side of the motorhome...
A 6th goes straight for the roof {which is the SAT. connection}

Now of those 5 coaxial cables... I know that...
1. Goes to the basement coaxial outlet in the underneath bay
2. One goes to the rear bedroom tV
3. One goes to the coaxial phone jack in the waste lines bay
4. one goes to the roof open air antenna...

Ok ... That leaves me with one coaxial cable leaving the passenger side compartment and going down the side of the motorhome that I have no clue were it ends up....?

Does anybody have a clue where that 5th cable is going???

I also noticed a electronic "booster" ah ..."UNIT" which I noticed after taking off all the plates and exposing the inside of the overhead passenger compartment. It was connected to a coaxial cable heading {I think} to the basement bay coaxial connection...

The amount of spliced dumped wire snips and extra connectors was dumped through out the bay....

Dont know whether it's worthy to get that ABC switch and A/B switch working properly...Problem is.... Im not even sure what they do to begin with...
Well the A/B/C switch was suppose to switch from cable to sat to open air antenna.
The A/B switch ...I havent a clue..... and sure would like to know what that was suppose to do????

Anybody have any idea on that and where that 5th cable is going to?

Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
well i'm guessing you are no where around me like everyone on here so going by just what you are saying I would be of no help. However, I would really recommend you get the A/B/C switch to work so that you can watch your satellite up front and rear or satellite up front, dvd rear, or antenna front, satellite rear... whatever combo you want, it will be a great thing to have! mine didn't come with one so I went and bought one and put it in myself!

Good luck with the cables, wish you were here in Oklahoma City or Eastern Nebraska! I would love to tackle this one!

"Now why would you want to do something like that?" - My Dad
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Your ABC switch is for the tv in the bedroom. On my coach A is satellite B is cable and C is antenna. As for the AB switch is is used to control which satellite antenna you use, the roof antenna or you can use a tripod mounted one and plug in on the jack labeled satellite in the basement. My guess is that the extra cable you have goes to the satellite jack in the basement.
Tom and Sue
2005 Alpine FDQS
tinytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #4

The fifth coax is going to the basement for connection to an auxiliary satellite dish, which can be connected near the coax for the outside TV. The A/B switch is used to switch between the roof dish and the aux dish.

These 6 main coax lines should be color coded. WRV seemed to be pretty consistent with this.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Wingding I feel your PAIN!
I had a Dolphin prior to the Alpine. It had a switch box that would connect any antenna or device to any either tv. The screwed up mess in the Alpine is beyond belief. I recently replaced the front tv with a flat screen and am now using the tv's input menu to select satelite, antenna or DVR and forgot about the AB and 123 switch.. Not yet figured out the bed room tv.
05 Alpine 36MDDS, 09 Subaru Forester, no animals.
two sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Well since I last posted, I have made progress in identifying 6 out of 7 coaxial cables running about.
Last time I posted that there was 6 coaxial cables but I have come up with a 7th that I missed originally.
With all these wires pulled out and laying about from the passenger side overhead it was quite a sight.....
I felt for a while that I really was in a mess... I mean I had to figure out and assign each coaxial cable it's destination... and how was I gonna pull that off with everything hidden behind walls...?

Well coming up with a little thought, I fashioned a cap that shorted each coaxial cable out.. Then I went about with a volt/Ohm meter and was able to see read each short... I worked like a champ...!!!!!

Only problem is there is a 7th and I cant find it anywhere.... I seem to remember there's a coiled up "spare" sitting behind something somewhere.....?
So six run down the side of the motorhome and a 7th to the SAT.

NOW, with what I know AND the information given above is of great significance to me!
I now can figure how to make it all work from what those ABC and AB switches are suppose to control now that I know each specific cables destination.

One last question ??? Much to my surprise, when I opened up that overhead passenger side cavity in the middle of this mess was a wineguard
coaxial {what I would refer to as a "power booster"} ....Maybe..? {Im not sure... It was connected to one cable and then another connection to another outlet on the unit{it actually had room to connect more.
There was a green light that was on. with a small button that you could press in or out... It shut the green light on and off.. Probably shuting down the boost and turning it on...
My question is.... Is that what it is... some sort of power boost, and more importantly..... what two cables where hooked to it... ???
was it a boost for the back tv? and what is the other coaxial connected to it? Or is it hooked to something else???

Thanks for that valuable information above... I will be able to figure the puzzle out with this.... except those two wires hooked to the wineguard "Thing"...{ah possible booster of sorts...?}

OH Thank you, for the 6th cable location and Identification... I found that "METAL" outlet..... Just as you stated!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
The box you speak about is the antenna booster one coax is coming from the off air antenna and the coax goes to the tvs most likly through spliters.
Tom and Sue
2005 Alpine FDQS
tinytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #8

Thats the last piece of the puzzle...

I'll have this figured out on paper from here....

Thank you very much... Kind of hilarious....

The roof antenna was NOT connected to it....

Looking at that unreal mess, I take a photo when I complete both overhead compartments.. I'll fashion some sort of pull out tray on that side too.. maybe a half boxed in - half pull out tray for the sat.receiver.

Im noticing that the motorhome companies for the most part were not to concerned with the "BOXING IN" of the electronic's for the most part.... while a onan monitor is one thing, those receiver's {both stereo and sat. box} need ventilation...

Stuffing receivers in a sawed out hole wrapped with insulation is a bad bad idea... No wonder the receiver's never last like that... cant breath....