Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

We have had a terrible wind noise at our front entrance door since having the coach. Dealer has done various things and they work for a while but it always comes back. We have had more success by adding layers of non-slip material in the radius of the door and then slamming it shut. It is most unattractive but effective. I have resigned myself to having a molding bent and created to fit from the roof down to approximately the bottom of the windshield. Thought was to do it on both sides to keep everything symetrical. First thought was stainless but I think it would look better painted to match the coach and pop riveted on and then touch up the rivets with the matching color.
I would feel certain that some of you have had this situation and wondered what solutions you have come up with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #2

We have had a terrible wind noise at our front entrance door since having the coach. Dealer has done various things and they work for a while but it always comes back. We have had more success by adding layers of non-slip material in the radius of the door and then slamming it shut. It is most unattractive but effective. I have resigned myself to having a molding bent and created to fit from the roof down to approximately the bottom of the windshield. Thought was to do it on both sides to keep everything symetrical. First thought was stainless but I think it would look better painted to match the coach and pop riveted on and then touch up the rivets with the matching color.
I would feel certain that some of you have had this situation and wondered what solutions you have come up with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ted, does the "terrible wind noise" occur before or after you break the sound barrier? It could be that the air pressure on the front of the coach actually warps the body structure as you pass the barrier.

Norm
Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #4

Norm, I have created a pointed nose cone on the front of the coach but to no avail. I really thought it would do the trick. Unfortunately it did not.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM   #5

Ted,

I have no wind noise (did have an annoying door squeak that I fixed though).

My 04 has a leading edge metal strip mounted the length of the door (against the wind), that I thought was standard and there to divert wind.

Does your 05 have this?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #6

Jim, I really do not know if our coach has the leading edge that you refer to or not. I will check tomorrow. I keep my motorhome garaged at my office. Thank you for your response. Trust me when I tell you that you would be well aware of this wind noise regardless of the Coyote's comment.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #7

Ted,

My 2006 36FDDS does exactly the same thing starting at about 55 mph. There is an air deflector strip around the door's leading edge but it apparently does no good. The coach goes to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix it.

Milo
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #8

Ted III,

Depending on the front cap to sidewall tolerance wind noise can be generated along the A-Pillars (left/right side windshield supports) and the side window garnish. Coaches coming off line now have expandable foam injected between the sidewall and the front cap to eliminate any air infiltration.
Ten minutes and $3.00 can of expandable foam usually will make a significant difference in wind noise.
Here's an easy fix for the most novice RV tech. Start by fully extending the generator slide. Next, using a light and a mirror inspect the areas in the upper left and right corners where the firewall, sidewall and front cap join. The critical joint is where the bottom of the main sidewall meets the front fiberglass cap. Once you identify the joint simply inject a 1/2 of can of expandable spray foam into each side, making sure the entire area is filled. Be sure to use disposable gloves and have plenty of paper towels available as the wet foam is VERY sticky. Be patient - although the foam sets in just a few minutes you should a half hour before you turn the key for your test drive.

This fix will reduce a significant amount of wind noise.
Alpine Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 AM   #9

A.Maker,

Thanks for contributing. With the "flashlight inspection, are we looking for a gap?

For wind to infiltrate, wouldn't such a gap be visible from the outside?

Thanks.

BTW, Hey Milo! Welcome to the forum
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #10

Jim,

The "joint" I attempted to describe is where the front cap overlaps the bottom front of the sidewall. Depending on parts tolerances a void can be created allowing air to enter. When traveling at speeds of 30+ (depending on head or tail winds) the generator area builds up air pressure and if voids are present the air pushes up the A-pillars and into the area between the front cap and the sidewall. A sure sign is if your co-pilot has felt cold air blowing in between the window frame and the interior clamp ring.

The flange at the outside front edge of the door does little other than to deflect driving rain from entering under the rubber seal. In fact, a vacuum is actually created at the forward side corners. Wind noise at the forward side of the entry door is created by air escaping, not entering. Soft open cell foam installed on the forward side of the door jam and at the hinges can also eliminate annoying wind noise. Proper positioning may take a little experementing.

Again, per my last post, 10 minutes and a $3.00 can of spray foam can make a significant difference.
Alpine Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #11

A/Maker,

I get it!

Thank you for the extended explanation.

And, please, stay on the forum. Your contributions are valuable and appreciated.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #12

A-Maker, thanks a lot for the suggestions on the wind noise. As you pointed out for $ 3.00 & 10 or 20 minutes would it not be wonderful if that was the cure. It surely is worth a try. Really appreciate your suggestions and hope that you definitely stick around on our forum. One more mind, especially one like yours,is quite welcome.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #13

Our new Alpine also has a wind noise and god awful cold air (if its cold out) coming in... Taking it in next week to see if they can fix it. Will let you know if any success
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
We had wind noise and air from 2 other issues that have not been mentioned here. One was from the front marker lights at the top of the cap. Having those sealed at the factory made a big difference.

The second point of entry was the weep holes on both the driver window and the passenger window. John put electrical tape over the front hole on both windows, and that took care of that. That was Warren's suggestion, by the way...Warren at the factory, that is.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote