Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We're just taking our first long trip in our '06 34FDDS. I stopped at a rest stop and the wind took the door out of my hands as I exited the coach. The door slammed open hard, then wouldn't close without using a screwdriver to free the locking mechinism on top of the door. Now, every time we open the door where the lock engages I have to go through this. I have to believe this has happened to someone else. Any suggestions where I start to fix this? Is there some sort of cable attached to the door handle inside the door?

By the way, this coach drives soooooo nice. We're in Las Vegas for a few days before heading down to Indio then to Phoenix. We're planning on going to the Desert Rat Rally Quartzsite in January.

This is my first post with an itme for discussion so I hope I get this tight.

TerryM

TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We're just taking our first long trip in our '06 34FDDS. I stopped at a rest stop and the wind took the door out of my hands as I exited the coach. The door slammed open hard, then wouldn't close without using a screwdriver to free the locking mechinism on top of the door. Now, every time we open the door where the lock engages I have to go through this. I have to believe this has happened to someone else. Any suggestions where I start to fix this? Is there some sort of cable attached to the door handle inside the door?

By the way, this coach drives soooooo nice. We're in Las Vegas for a few days before heading down to Indio then to Phoenix. We're planning on going to the Desert Rat Rally Quartzsite in January.

This is my first post with an itme for discussion so I hope I get this tight.

TerryM

Old 10-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #3

Terry M, I do not know abother people but it happened to me. I have a 2005, 34' so I presume they are the same. If you remove the black plastic cover on the inside panel of the door where the handle is I believe you can adjust it from there. I took the whole large panel off which is no big deal and adjusted it, but you may not have to. There is a cable that needs to be adjusted. After you see it,it is quite easy to understand. Works like a throttle cable on a lawnmower, etc. Fortunately mine happened at home so it was a lot more pleasant to fix. You should not have any trouble. If you do send me a private e-mail and I will give you my phone number. You are absolutely right, they are a real pleasure to drive and with a great deal of power. Keep us posted on how your coach functions.

Ted & Carol
2005, 34FDDS Alpine
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ted III, thank you for the info. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet; I've been busy here in Las Vegas. Went to a Jimmy Buffet concert last night. Glad I brought my tool box with me.

TerryM
2006 34FDDS
Old 10-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #5

TerryM,

The same problem you describe happened to my wife at a very, very windy truck stop in Texas. To make matters worse, the locking arm at the top of the door also bent so bad that the door would not close at all. I had to remove the locking arm and take to the truck shop to have them pound it back into shape using both a hammer and a vise. I then had to re-install the locking arm and re-attach the release cable that you refer to. It can be done with quite easily, but it is a little tricky. To get the slack I needed in the cable to re-attach it, I also had to take the black cover off the door latch that Ted III mentioned.

Send me an email if you would like to discuss this further.

Dale
2001 38FDDS
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

Yours was worse than mine. I took off the larger panel (4 screws) to see how things worked, but now I see that I could have done the adjustment by just removing the small black cover. I'm sure it won't be the only time it happens to us. Anyway, my door actually releases from the latched position better now than it used to.

TerryM
'06 34FDDS '05 Colorado Toad
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Give me a call Ill tell you what tom do when this happens Harold Mallet 702 592 2505 40 ft alpine