Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Entry hand rail like in 2008's

I am looking for a handrail like used in the 2008 units. Like this.
Dixie just had a hip replaced and the steps will be an issue. I have emailed both rv-trader and Aubrey's RV and have gotten no reply. I don't have the time to build one right now, but it would be great to have for DRR.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

Dale,

This was posted some time ago, and I know you don't have time to fabricate one right now, but at least this gives you the information on what you need to do for mounting something.

entry handle on the right inside of front door

johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

I called Aubrey's when I needed a part. Don't remember the name of the person but she was very knowledgeable and pleasant. I got my part.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

Dale- I can see where this would be awfully nice. I don't have any bum hips or other major hitches in my git-along (yet), but I sure have enjoyed this 08 feature out of all proportion to what I gave it credit for at first. It has become so routine to grab for it that I don't even think about it any more whether heading into or out of the coach.

I just pulled mine out & I'll drop it off at my fabricator's shop this morning and have him work up a quote.
How do you want it finished- powder coat or paint, & color? Mine is painted black (I think that's mine in the photo you posted); I would rather have a lighter color and powder coat would have been better than paint.
You'll need the landing hole at the upper end free of your other project doo-dads; mounting bolt hole (one 3/8 bolt) is +20" above floor and left of right-hand front wall edge 25-1/8" (you may have this 3/8" bolt already, w/a vertical support for the top surface of the dash ahead of passenger). Check to see if you need to clear some stuff there. Call me if you have questions about the mount.

I think this would work for anybody w/the 30" door; don't know about the 26" door, but I suspect it would help there also assuming it would fit. The non-Vansco models may have electrical junk in the way; we could check @ Quartzite to see in case somebody w/an 03 or earlier model would be interested.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

Mike, I am interested in one. What about stainless steel?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #6

E. Mike, I would be very interested in one if you are going to have them made. Powder coated I think sounds better than painted. Would the upper mount be the same in a 2005 as it is in yours?

Thanks
Let me know
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

Stainless would be pretty sexy, but the design would likely need to be adjusted. On the painted version, the finish obscures some imperfections in the radii due to the nature of ordinary bending dies; those would stand out somewhat w/a stainless version. Probably a fabricator of boat railings would have the experience to turn out a nice product.

I dropped mine off at my local shop before lunch, and they said they'd have a price for paint or powder coat capable tomorrow some time. That usually means the day after tomorrow so I'll have to bug them. Then I'll need to get a price on powder coating.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

Ted- you will need to check your front bulkhead using the above measurements (after removing the panel that covers the Vansco junk, er, I mean, uh, finely tuned electronic wizardry. My guess is the same structural dash strut has been used for some time, and the upper end mounts on the bolt for that strut.
My upper bracket pinches a 1"+ split loom bundle of wire between the bracket edge and the VIP steering wheel magic module to the right, but that might be cured by changing the upper bracket slightly in the new design, and it doesn't appear to affect anything regardless.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

TedIII,

IMHO based on the pictures and looking at the install area on my 2005. It appears other than cutting a slot in the panel covering the Vansco panels and repositioning an electrical bundle it should fit fine.

Emike, Paint or powder coat would be fine.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

Emike, No dash strut on the 05 the dash is flimsy in that area. The bulkhead (firewall) has the space open though.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #11

So you could add the strut & kill two birds. The strut is a simple angle bolted to the bulkhead face w/a horizontal piece at the top, and made of 1/8" plate (or maybe its a tee at the top, I'll have to check).
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #12

I was thinking the same think. Just wanted to share that it was not there.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
John,

Thank you, that is where I "borrowed" the photo from.

Mike,

You are the best at helping us all out, but this time you have outdone your self, this will really help. I will see if I have the bracket, tomorrow.
The RV has been last on my list lately and I didn't even think that we could make DRR. While I am sure that by DRR she will be able to get into and out of the coach, a hand rail will make it MUCH better.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike, I would be interested in a powder coated hand rail. We will be at the DRR.

Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote