Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Entry Step

My entry step seems to need about another inch of travel on the linkage. The step stops short of being fully extended and it doesn't travel far enough to reach the cam stops. It seems to retract all the way and the movement seems smooth, but, it stops short and doesn't lock into position. After it stops it will move out about 2" if you pull it by hand and it will slide back if you push it or step on it.

For lack of a better description its like a gear skipped a tooth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry

2005 Alpine
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Terry - When the step is extended, push it in and out and look at the linkage arms and motor arm while the steps move. You might notice something "giving" in the linkage or motor. If there is slop somewhere, perhaps something just needs to be tightened or a bushing worn out. If there doesn't seem to be any "slop" anywhere, try pulling on the steps very hard as they come out. Then when the motor shuts off, see if there is still the same amount of play (slop) in the steps. If not, perhaps the motor shuts before the steps are fully extended and there is play/slop as a result. If there is less slop when you pull on the steps it means something is probably binding when the steps are extended, causing the motor to shut off prematurely. Then just find out what is causing the steps to bind. It may just need to be lubricated.

'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
I would also suggest that you disconnect the step from the motor. Then move the step by hand to see if you could fell for any binding when the step moves in and out. Once you find where the binding is occurring you may be able to lube or repair without replacing the step.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Terry, when is the last time you lubricated the steps, if its a while lube all the joints, I'll bet the steps come all the way out afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #5
I had a similar problem. What I did was have a helper push the button in while I helped the step through it's motion. Release the button and help the step out. I did this several times and the step has been working fine for a few years now.
Worth a try.
Dan and Patty
"04" Alpine 34' FDDS
Saratoga, CA
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Thanks guys,

I tend to keep the steps well lubed but the extension and retraction were a little low on my list of "fun things to do". I got under there and took a good hard look at the frame and how the steps travel and it looked at first like the motor and linkage weren't operating correctly. After I cycled it a few times and checked clearances I could see that the step was rubbing on the frame as it reached it's extended position.

I got back under there with a can of lube, a pry bar and a BFH and low and behold, things are operating as they should.

The clearances are very tight and a little bit of bend can sure jam things up. Too bad everything is riveted and not bolted, it would sure be nice to be able to loosen, tighten or remove a bent piece and straighten it.

On to the next thing!!!

Thanks again, Terry

2005 Alpine
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote