Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
Alpine Owners Club
Ok here goes. First Kwikee (for the most part not all brands)(in case of Alpines I believe all) should be lubricated every 30 days according to the manufacturer. Make sure you turn off all power to the step (extended) before you do this work, as if it should retract, it does have the power to cut off a finger. You lube all the joints/pivot points you can get too. There may/should be a cover over the motor/gear assembly; this also needs to be checked, as part of the step assembly wiring, there is a circuit built in so the ignition makes the steps go in, if the door is closed, either engine on, or just ignition switch in the on position. In mine the ACC position has no effect on the step.

Depending on use, the motors can wear out, which get slower over time, worse if you don't do the maintenance stated above. I believe Kwikee, has be bought out by someone else (but don't quote me), but their website has lots of information, manuals, and lubrication information for your model. You can use any good grade of light machine oil, you don't need their oil.

Now with all that, I do my step about once every six months and have not had any issues with it. I usually do it, once in the winter and when in the summer I change the coach/generator engine oil and filter. I also lubricate the screw drive mechanism on the Generator slide then as well, but that one I do 4 times a year.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Smile Entry Step Not Working--Thanks for the help

Just took possession of our "new" 2006 APEX. It had been hooked up to shore power for days--we are now on battery and generator power. The step would not come out! I check every fuse I could find, checked the ground wires and was ready to take the coach back with frustration.
This thread of information gave me relief. Thanks to all of you for your input and comments. Resetting--by turning off/on the coach and chasis power switches did it. It now works great and I'm thinking of keeping the coach after all.
So nice to know so many of you are willing to take the time to share information.
Roger Allen

bairdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #17
Originally Posted by RVersOnline View Post
...but happily while stowed, not out. Has anyone discovered a trick or two that might be tried to get it to operate again? The contacts I note can be screwed in or out a bit, and one on the door side was indeed screwed quite far in. Fixed that so that all are out about the same distance, but that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions appreciated.
I had trouble with my 99 Alpine. Everytime the step would retract or extend it was due to corrosion and lack lubrication. To bad the engineers at Kwikee Step never thought of using some teflon rollers. That must be a new concept that Kwikee is not familar with.

If you are old and fat like most of us, you may need to let the engine run to keep the air pressure up to the air bags to allow you to get under the coach far enough to spay some lube. How crude in todays times on a luxury coach. I hope Kwikee is listening. old trucker

Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote