Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
Entry Step Died

...but happily while stowed, not out. Has anyone discovered a trick or two that might be tried to get it to operate again? The contacts I note can be screwed in or out a bit, and one on the door side was indeed screwed quite far in. Fixed that so that all are out about the same distance, but that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried resetting the Vansco by shutting off the chassis power switch?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
You might try turning off DC power to reset Vansco.

I was intrigued by you going 14658 mph on your Instamap link.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
How, on earth, did you get that big rig onto that little island of French Polynesia??? At least that is where your InstaMapper says that you are at and are currently traveling at 14,658 mph.

I'm impressed! LOL!!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Okay, I owe an update to Instamapper. We were indeed in Tahiti for a week, but didn't fly the RV over via space shuttle. BTW Tahiti is a fab visit. Did some commentary and pix at Personal Trip Journal - Exploring French Polynesia.

Haven't turned off/on anything as of yet, and not sure if that means to turn the two batt switches off and back on in the battery compartment. We're dealing with a real novice here. Happily we carry a small step, so this becomes perhaps the least threatening issue in our 20+ years of RVing.

Thx for the heads up on Instamapper too. Just updated and it now has our correct position, but the speed is still pretty hot! Will figure out that one later...

Thx for the comments on step. I've found a breaker or fuse for everything in the rig *except* the step...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Problem Solved..

Aa it turns out, once we'd started the engine again, everything was normal. Not sure why, but we won't argue with success. Thx for the helpful responses, which we'll save for the next time...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi RversOnline,

If they retract, fully, after your engine is going then it sounds like it's the charge of your house batteries. The default- of nearly all auto steps- is to default to the engine, and retract, when the engine is started (mine takes about five minutes, after the engine start, before retracting).

However, that means that your house batteries did not have enough of a charge to pull the steps all the way in (before you started the engine). I found out that this was the problem to mine doing the same thing.

I am having my RV guy change my house batteries to charge off of shore pwr, just like they currently do only from the engine or the generator- which will solve that issue for me.

If you have been plugged into shore power, that might be the problem- not enough juice.

Sheila
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi RversOnline,

If they retract, fully, after your engine is going then it sounds like it's the charge of your house batteries. The default- of nearly all auto steps- is to default to the engine, and retract, when the engine is started (mine takes about five minutes, after the engine start, before retracting).

However, that means that your house batteries did not have enough of a charge to pull the steps all the way in (before you started the engine). I found out that this was the problem to mine doing the same thing.

I am having my RV guy change my house batteries to charge off of shore pwr, just like they currently do only from the engine or the generator- which will solve that issue for me.

If you have been plugged into shore power, that might be the problem- not enough juice.

Sheila
When plugged into shore power your batteries should charge. I hope someone more knowledgeable will step in here before you pay for something you all ready have. (if I'm right)????

I had problems with my step as well. House batteries were going bad. Even after changing the batteries I had to "help" the step with my hands to cycle threw the full motion of travel a few times. After that the step works fine.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

I have the same problem occasionally, I just turn off the 12v switch and back on resetting the vansco and it works again..good luck
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #10

Sheila,

Alpines are wired to charge the house batteries first when on shore power, and once they reach a certain level, switch over to charge the chassis batteries as well. So he should be charging his house batteries when on shore power, unless he has a problem. (Which has been known to happen!)

Your wiring is likely a lot different than ours.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Sheila,

Alpines are wired to charge the house batteries first when on shore power, and once they reach a certain level, switch over to charge the chassis batteries as well. So he should be charging his house batteries when on shore power, unless he has a problem. (Which has been known to happen!)

Your wiring is likely a lot different than ours.
The chassis battery charging should be the same. When the house batteries reach 13.1 volts, Vansco activates the big contactor in the back of the the battery compartment which ties the house to the chassis batteries and light #19 comes on. Maybe the contactor is bad. Known to happen.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
When plugged into shore power your batteries should charge. I hope someone more knowledgeable will step in here before you pay for something you all ready have. (if I'm right)????

I had problems with my step as well. House batteries were going bad. Even after changing the batteries I had to "help" the step with my hands to cycle threw the full motion of travel a few times. After that the step works fine.
Gee thanks. For your information- you are incorrect. Mine do not charge, off of shore power, and they were set up that way. Something I will be correcting.

Sheila
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Gee thanks. For your information- you are incorrect. Mine do not charge, off of shore power, and they were set up that way. Something I will be correcting.

Sheila
Oh silly me, I thought you had an Alpine. Simple fix though. But I'm sure your rv repair shop will set you up with plenty of hardware to get you charged.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, it's always best for people not to use a sweeping brush without all of the facts.

Sheila