Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Audrey, she does stand there and watch me, asking me questions while I hook up this or that. So she is making sure I don't forget something. She has trouble working out with her two pound weights, so asking her to like pick up the tow bar for instance would be impossible, so it's just easier for me to have a visual helper, and do the heavy stuff myself.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Audrey, she does stand there and watch me, asking me questions while I hook up this or that. So she is making sure I don't forget something. She has trouble working out with her two pound weights, so asking her to like pick up the tow bar for instance would be impossible, so it's just easier for me to have a visual helper, and do the heavy stuff myself.
Well that is what matters - being involved and double checking. John does the wrestling with the tow bar while I hold the keys to unlock the pins and hand him some of the connecting parts - kind of like a surgeon's nurse. Then I get the car into the right gear and run up to the motorhome to drive to help lock the tow bar and then test the lights while he is with the car checking things from his end and making sure the brake box is on. He then walks behind the motorhome while I drive a short way to make sure the car is following OK.

It's worked out well over the years.

Audrey

Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
First time we brought the coach home, we had to back into the front yard along the east side of the yard. The previous owner had put in a concrete approach, but nothing else. It had been a few years since I had driven anything as long as this with no movable section in the middle, (like a 5th wheel) so I had not learned where the turning break was for this rig. In backing it in, I had to angle in, and then turn sharp so I missed the tree and limbs. I forgot one of the DW favorite bushes in the front, and I ran close enough to it too scrape it up fairly bad, and I had to clean out the fins in the radiator area of Leyland cypress founds. That only happened once, and now the plant has recovered, and actually looks better than before. We finally stopped parking in the front yard completely and now let it hang out into the street, placing orange cones out in front to the sides to warn the few cars "watch out".
Old 10-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
It was a dark and stormy night, new motorhome driver (by himself), narrow street, cars parked on one side, tour bus with (large, giant, hugh mirror) and front end turned out from curb parked on the other. New motor driver (me) made it passed everything but that (large, giant, hugh mirror). Learned an important lesson, won't do that again.
WVCoalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #33

I had taken the rv to the truck wash to have the motorhome and trailer washed.A 37 foot Tropical pulling a 30 foot race car trailer,when they washed it they some how un latched the front of the awning.(didnt find out till later) We were heading to a race in maryland and going over the Annapolis Bay bridge at around midnight when the front of the awning came out completely and acted like a sail.The coach went right for the wall and thank god there was nobody next to me.I thought my daughter (co-pilot) was going to have a heart attack (me too!!!)
Lucky for us widnt hit anything or even damage the awning.We havent went back to a truck wash since.I have also done most everything on the list as well.
I really like when the fridge comes open and spills its contents when i am traveling alone and have to wait till I stop to see the damage.I had cherry tomatos everywhere this summer.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This applies to all rigs in general, but specifically to air braked vehicles.

Never leave the driver's seat without placing the transmission in neutral, pulling the yellow parking brake knob and my new requirement is verifying the red "P" is illuminated on the dash.

I was at my first campground with my brand new rig and trees made getting situated just right on the site difficult, requiring several repositionings of the rig.

Each time, I would get out and verify the slides would miss the trees.

After one repositioning, I placed the transmission in neutral but forgot to pull the parking brake knob as I was thinking of the trees.

I left the driver's seat and was about to go down the steps when I realized the rig was rolling backwards.

I was back to the driver's seat and pulled the parking brake knob faster than a dollar massage.

The rig had rolled about 2~3' and no harm was done.

I almost made the news at the Escapees park in Livingston.

However, disaster would have occurred if I had not stopped the rig as it would have rolled down a 3~4' embankment, flattening a chain link fence, but the house on the other side of the fence would have stopped the rig.

Now, I don't get out of the driver's seat without verifying the red "P" is lit.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #35

66- I wanna hear about that dollar massage.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
EM - I'm with you!!

Now if as recommended we should always chock the rear wheels, and not trust the Emergency Brake/Parking Brake, I would like to know is this something we can adjust so we know it's correct. I guess I am going to have to find my manual and see what it says. I have used my EB on a fairly steep hill, and it held me fine, but I am going to chock the wheels from now on as was recommended, as its just good sense to do so. Glad most places we stop are not steep and hilly.

And as far as I can tell, I don't have any lighted visual indicator showing my Emergency Brake is engaged, am I missing something. Since I drove large rigs for my last employer and had to have a CDL, pulling the yellow handle is sort of second nature to me.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #37

We have a red P that lights up with the parking brake is pushed in - in the display with other things like the seatbelt light.

I know some people have not had their parking brake hold on inclines, but ours has always held extremely well. I was really careful at first, but I guess my confidence is pretty high right now.

In fact, the parking brake seems to work so well, that one time our disabled motorhome was being pushed into a bay to do the radiator replacement, and due to all sorts of weather related problems (20 degress, icy weather) the outside air pump check valve was frozen open it wouldn't hold air and the parking brake kept coming on. That would jerk everything to a halt. Then someone would run around with air and the coach would start rolling again. One time someone forgot to be in the driver's seat at the moment it started slowly rolling and went madly running after the motorhome.

You want to see a comical scenario! Wish I had taken video of this operation. By then John and I had been "camped" at Cummins in Albuquerque for three weeks waiting on our new radiator including one week of really heavy snowfall (the 50 year snowstorm of 2006), so we were well past panic.

Still - maybe we had better use a chock on steep inclines.

Audrey
Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
First time at a dump station... Didn't know what those big rocks and pieces of concrete were for!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
First time at a dump station... Didn't know what those big rocks and pieces of concrete were for!
Oh - I think every RVer has had the "oops - the sewer hose got away from me!" experience at least once. Maybe not the first time - but at some point!

It's a little easier if you experience that RV initiation on your first small RV trailer rather than a big rig.

Audrey
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Audrey & John - About that snowfall at Cummins, how did the rig take that kind of cold and wet, and how did you take it as well?

All - I don't remember the "RED P" everyone is talking about, is this common, and where would it be on the display please? And it could be so common, I'm used to seeing it and don't pay attention.

And yes, I'm going to chock the coach as well, I can visualize the mad man running after the RV trying to catch a 33K pound device with my hands, HAAAAAAA, no, I am not Robin Williams the Second!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

Late coaches, not sure when or if changed, have a red circle with "brackets" on either side and PARK in the center, in panel of warning lights.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Audrey & John - About that snowfall at Cummins, how did the rig take that kind of cold and wet, and how did you take it as well?
We had a foot of snow on top of the roof at one point, and John climbed up swept it all off.

Unfortunately, that created kind of an ice dam around the motorhome which I knew we should have shoveled away the snow behind the motorhome, but we would have had to go find one. Hard work, I know. DH wasn't so convinced. By the time we had driven back and forth a few times in our car the snow behind the motorhome had packed into ice. Even though most of the parking lot had melted by the time they were ready to work on us, the ice behind the motorhome stayed. It took forever to pull that motorhome out of our parking spot including taking axes to the ice.

The huge snowfall which occurred just between Xmas and New Years really shut down Albuquerque for a while. And then it created some really weird weather where there would be fog during the day that wouldn't let enough light in to melt the snow, and at night skies would clear and things get real cold and It took 2 weeks for all that snow to melt.

We managed for 3 weeks on one water tank fill-up while waiting for our radiator. Had 50A electric hookup - but we had to run up to Campingworld to buy their extension - which is very good by the way. I went to hair cut places to get my hair shampooed several times. We used the shop restrooms during the day when they were open. If needed, we could have strung a couple of hoses together to get more fresh water.

On the heat - the motorhome did well enough. We had hydro-hot. We actually had some insulation for some of the windows because we had camped for a couple of weeks near Bosque del Apache and nights there were in the teens. But we had to conserve fuel while at the shop, so we were very careful. Had a couple of nights down to 12. No problems although we didn't keep the motorhome that warm. Basement stayed reasonably warm too - the inverter seems to help keep it warm!

We dumped tanks, filled fresh water, etc. before coming to the shop, but unfortunately I forgot to top off the fuel tank!!!! Totally slipped my mind. By the time we were disabled, I realized that we had only about 1/3 of a tank of fuel! I started doing calculations on how much fuel hydro-hot might be burning each day. I think we ended up burning at least 20 gallons - probably more - but we didn't run out of fuel! I'm sure if we had had to, we could have gotten more fuel. Still - that wasn't fun.

Here is the thread from the time - Camping in Snow - Camping in snowfall - slides out or in?

Many thanks to Flying Star Cafe (great coffee and pastries as well as meals) and Rio Grande Nature Center with its great wildlife for getting us through the ordeal. If you've got to be stuck somewhere over the Xmas holidays waiting for a radiator, Albuquerque is not a bad place to be! And our new custom built radiator has lasted us almost 3 years so far (knock on wood!), considering our original dud lasted only 18 months!

Audrey