Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #43
Alpine Owners Club
Old RV'er,
Our Parking Brake indicator is in the top line of the SilverLeaf Display screen on the dash. Several other indicators are in the same area. I would think your Apex would be the same.

2006 Alpine FDQS Apex
"The Butterfly Express II"
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #44
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
1. No.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. Yes.
11. Yes.
12. Yes.
13. Yes.
14. No.
15. Yes.
16. No.
17. No.
18. No.

Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #45
When I made the switch from an Itasca Sunova 29R to my 2006 36FDDS Alpine, I neglected to realize the rig was bigger. It resulted in me tearing off the rear bumper while attempting to get into my favorite camping spot in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. And after it was repaired, I tried a new way into the site with the same result!

You should have seen the laughter at the body shop when my Alpine came in again!

sdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #46
Alpine Owners Club
a. Left kitchen garbage can lid on counter, which slid to the floor at the first stop light, and broke into a dozen pieces.
b. Used to store my tools in a Smart bed until one day when the HWH went dead....
c. Getting ready to leave and sweeping the rugs outside the coach. Leaned broom against coach while rolling up rugs. Wife takes LR slide in, which crushes broom handle & bends trim of slide.
d. Right closet slide opens slightly while driving. Ironing board falls out of closet behind BR slide. Slide goes out and crushes ironing board.
e. Open utility bay to push smart bed switch, but accidently hit black water switch...
f. Backing into camping spot and generator exhaust catches on horizontal log on ground. Find exhaust pipe now pointing in front of coach. First day at Dry campground...
Scott & Marcia Hicks
2009 Alpine 40' FDQS 75809
Portland, OR
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #47
Before we got our Alpine, we had an Alpenlite 5th wheel. It had two gray tanks... one for the galley and one for the bathroom. We thought it was going to freeze, so I opened one of the gray tanks and let the water run a little. When I got up in the middle of the night, my foot hit the floor and went "sqoosh". I had opened the wrong gray tank and the bedroom carpet got flooded. I don't do that anymore. I heard that someone left their water running slightly, with the gray tank valve open, and the water froze in their sewer hose and backed up into their RV anyway.
Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #48
Excerpt from our Canadian travelogue- this one might just take the cake! I call it:

The Perfect Storm’

We wanted to call it a day long before it WAS a day…

Far from our Deep South home, we had camped in a Niagara Falls RV repair yard for a couple of days (newbies working out the kinks in our ‘new’ RV), and the gray water tank contained a few days worth of water from showering, dishwashing, and a couple of loads of laundry. Since there was no sewer connection, I topped off the fresh water tank and made a mental note (evidently my mental sticky notes lately are short of enough glue) to dump both black and gray tanks as soon as we reached the next real campground. Do you see storm clouds forming?

As we were leaving, I went to the john (my first name-no pun intended). I then headed for the bathroom sink to wash my hands, but the water pump was not on, so I went into the kitchen to turn on the pump and decided to wash my hands in the kitchen instead. (What I didn’t realize was that I had left the faucet on in the bathroom, AND left the water pump switch on). Isn’t it fun watching the plot thicken???

A couple of hours later on the Canadian interstate, we both began to notice a peculiar odor from the back of the RV. As newbies, we both figured it as the signal to ‘feed the tank’, meaning, to pour some chemical down the toilet to neutralize the smell from the tank. Since there was no exit in sight, I asked my wife to go back while we were running to kill the smell. Well, when she reached the carpeted bathroom, she shrieked as her feet squished on the carpet. Seems that the water pump had kept running and the gray tank had overflowed and backed up into the shower and beyond. The magnetic seal on the glass enclosure must be pretty strong, because she reported that the shower looked as though all it was lacking was Houdini underwater trying to extricate himself from the shackles. The gray tank had overflowed into the shower and continued to flow out onto our BRAND NEW carpet and beyond. Fun, fun, fun! Told you it was the Perfect Storm!

Now, there are no exits in sight and DW would not let me dump on the side of the road, so I continued to drive on. She put towels on the bathroom carpet as I drove, looking for an exit with an RV park-no option for dry camping in a parking lot-we HAD to dump the tanks!

Finally, we reached a large city, took the first exit, and a wrong turn landed us in a large deserted parking lot. As I stopped, trying to collect myself and get my bearings, I realized that I had parked directly above a storm drain, and all I could think of was getting the grey water drained. I figured I could quickly open the gray water valve, and flip the access door closed and no one would notice. With my wife yelling ‘We’re in a foreign country; we’ll get arrested!’, In a panic, I ran outside, flung open the access door and yanked the handle on the gray tank. Before I could flip the access door down, however, I got blasted with stinky grey water! Evidently there is a lot more pressure in a gray water tank than I had imagined, and it is quicker than I am. With gray water pouring out, I flipped the access door closed and went inside to practice my lies to the Canadian police: ‘Oh my Goodness, we have a LEAK?!....Where…?’

A least the shower was no longer overflowing, but now I smelled exactly like the carpet, and ALL of the towels were on the carpet! No chance to clean up until the next overnight stop.

Back on the road, we soon discovered that we had a long way to go- Canada evidently just doesn’t have nearly as many RV parks as we had hoped. Hours later, we wound up in a small campground in the middle of nowhere, well after dark, trying to see where to park, etc. You may get the picture-a newbie driving a monster diesel pusher, maneuvering it through dark-as-hell campground, having to back it in and out, over and over: What slot number?...Watch that tree!...Too close to tree to open slide…Oops, the mud…etc.

Well, when we finally settled, and I remembered my promise to myself earlier in the day to drain BOTH tanks, just to feel ‘cleansed’. Well, the sewer hookup was too far away for one hose to make it, so I connected 2 together. (Anyone seen Robin Williams in RV?—Can you see this one coming???) Yes, I pulled the lever and watched the pressure blow the 2 hoses apart….’good stuff’ shooting higher than it was ever meant to go…. Kinda like a chocolate fountain! Quickly (but not quick enough) shut it off and went inside to clean up, and call it a day---from hell.

Three showers in one day: gray water, black water, and fresh water!
Does this one take the cake? The Perfect Storm!
1999 Alpine 36' FDS

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #49
Alpine Owners Club
I have no idea what you are talking about. Nope, no idea.....
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
We keep our coach in a RV storage under roof. I usually let the air out of the bags and level the coach when storing it.

A few weeks ago I broke my procedure on powering up the coach. Usually it is turning on the coach batteries powering up the fridge and water pump. Then turning on the chassis batteries. Well this time I went straight to the service bay door and turned on the coach batteries. Walked inside flipped the ignition switch over to accessory...opened the HWH panel hit the STORE button.....nothing happened. I had jack down indicators and low battery light indicator on (should have been clue #1). Well of course I checked the ignition switch, electrical connections at the HWH pump, connections at the HWH panel, and crawled back under the coach again. I even added a bit of fluid thinking the battery indicator light might also function as a low fluid indicator. After 30-40 minutes of this my hands were dirty and I went to the sink to wash them.

No water.

Thankfully most of my stupidity hasn't cost me much

Lesson learned, I'll never break my established procedure again both with the coach and hooking up the toad.

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote