Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Er, uh, things I've done wrong

In the "Coolant Usage" thread, Old RV'er suggested, "Dale, I would love to er hear about your experiences, as we all can learn from mistakes. It's however better to learn from someone else's, instead of making my own."

So here goes my confessions over 10 years of motorhoming, so don't be too critical since this list only averages less than 2 per year. And, remember my wife shared in a few of these - fewer than me.

1. Dragged jeep with parking brake on and in gear for 1 1/2 blocks, before being alerted by wife's cousin running down the street behind us jumping up and down yelling. Flat spotted the rear tires, so they had to be replaced.
2. After stopping for propane at dusk, left basement door to propane compartment open when it turned out the propane qualified guy was off duty after I waited for 30 minutes for him. 30 miles later I noticed the door open when circling in the Walmart parking lot at dark.
3. After staying up until 2:30 AM to have a blow-out fix that occurred at 5:15PM the previous day, I failed to put one of the pins in the tow bar base plate attachment, but I caught it as I was circling the truck stop parking lot.
4. Refrigerator not turned on after re-fueling until hours later it was discovered when we stopped at a rest stop.
5. Closet sliding door not latched when departing, so there was a lot of banging sounds.
6. Stove top cover not in place when departing, so it fell onto the floor breaking in half.
7. Sink cover not in place, but it did not fall to the floor.
8. Hot water heater not turned on in the winter when camping overnight, so the next morning the shower was really, really cold.
9. Hot water not turned off when departing for travel.
10. Water pump not turned off when departing for travel.
11. Sliding door to bedroom vanity area not latched, so it banged around when departing.
12. Toilet seat not down when departing, so it banged down for me.
13. Shower door not latched when departing, so it banged around.
14. Backed jeep with bicycle rack on back into low post, that was not visible in the mirror or rear window, which was guarding a water spigot, so the rack was severely bent, but not noticed until 500 miles later.
15. Left cabinet door open above passenger seat.
16. Toilet stopped up in the down pipe by putting non-flushable, non-biodegrable wipes in toilet.
17. Parking brake not released, for a few moments.
18. Wooden jack pads left behind.

If anyone else wishes to confess (er, uh contribute), I suggest that you state actual mistakes, rather than generalize about what people should NOT do. Let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Jeezze Dale you forgot to mention about putting the cruise control on while driving and then getting up to go get yourself a soda.

2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Dale - I am guilty of some of them. I will relate using your numbering scheme.
2-3-4 - Not applicable yet, one appliance on propane-stove-have not filled up the 40 gallon tank since we purchased the unit May 08, and I think we have used 2 gallons. One day I will have to have some put in, but will wait until it is down at least 1/4.

5-APEX has some kind of special closet locking mechanism based on vacuum or air pressure. It has not worked correctly since purchase. I am close however to having the doors adjusted so it does work, the DS door needs to be raised up a tad to when the mechanism works, it holds the door shut, otherwise we have the banging described above. I have thought about some sticks (1/2" dowel rod cut to trap both doors closed) would work, have not done that yet, as trying to make system work correctly.

7-have not had it happen, but close to having it happen, as DW found it not secured and did so.
8 - Not Applicable
9 - Not Applicable – HH system, and we have lighted switch on front of coach, and door stays open until one of us turns off switch, and closes door, verbally notifying the other person.

10 - I check that when putting in the slides and storing jacks through the Silverleaf system, but it's stayed on a time or two, and I don't like that. We have two additional switchs to turn it on or off, 1 in the WC and 1 in the drain bay, and usually this is where it gets turned off, because dumping the tanks is the last thing we normally do.

11-12-13 - sort of not applicable – As we must close doors to cabinets or they will get torn off when bringing in the slides - DW checks prior to me moving slides. Last one out of the shower always latches door, in case we need to make emergency movement. This is also applicable to the three sliding doors we have. I always latch them so they are open each time they are opened in the morning, the DW likes to leave them free, but I keep reminding her, what if we have to move in an emergency, so I think I gotten her trained.

14-have not done that yet - Hope I don't cause the DW would kill me if I hurt her bike.

15-Did that already, and speakerphone hit me in the head. Learned from that lesson.

16-TP only in WC. No clogs and hopefully we won't have any either. It's no fun playing in the poo.

17-Coach won't move with PB set, at least mine won't.

18-Almost forgot that they were under the coach, but remembered when took foot off the brake for a second. I purchased some orange flat pads, and if the site is level and firm ground, I will use those, but if not sure, I have some blocks 4X4X8” with 1/4” plywood on both sides, so they won’t weather check. I use those if the ground does not look solid.

We take our time when moving out of our last spot, and we both check each other on everything we know needs to be done. We have the check off list on the dash and I can see it before we leave. Mostly I'm responsible for things outside, and the DW is responsible for the inside, but moving slides we both play a part, if going out she is outside watching, and if putting in, she checks cabinets before I close them, as I can do it from the Silverleaf system, and we are in visual contact with each other.

I think some coaches are easier to road ready than others, even within the alpine family. And after a period of time, you both work a routine. I have had to do it alone a time or two, and I was out of my element in some cases, because I needed to think about the operation, since normally that is her job. I could do it alone, or would get used to doing it alone, but don't want to go there.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
While we've done a few of the "confessions" you mentioned, Dale, here are some additions we can add:

1. Left antenna up; "low" hanging branch; purchased new antenna.
2. With team effort, drove into a water faucet; nice water fountain effect
3. Drove off without unplugging electric cord
4. Didn't securely latch joey bed, turned corner, basement door opened and out came joey bed. Fortunately, no damage and nothing lost.

I'm sure there's lots more, but that's what I remember for now.
2005 40' Limited FDTS

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
My best:

We were at Camp Newmar with a Mountainaire we used to own. My wife took our cats to her parents about 150 miles away due to the service they needed to do (cats could not stay in the MH). After service, I stayed the night to get an early AM start, first time without the DW. As above, she had her jobs and I had mine. I got a little overwhelmed with all the jobs and the disjointed sequence. Upon leaving Newmar, everyone was waving goodbye to me as I passed the other MHs to pull out. I finally realized they were not waving goodbye, they were trying to get my attention. I looked out my rear view mirror and along side the coach was about 30 foot of 50 amp cord with a power box and pole attached to it. It even had a good chunk of concrete attached to the pole to boot.
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Backing into my storage slot, trying to keep from taking a mirror off, I forgot I
had parked the car (new) there while I had the MH out. Poked a hole in the grill.
05 Alpine 36MDDS, 09 Subaru Forester, no animals.
two sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Forgotten pins

If I may suggest.

On airplanes and helo's, there are many bright red covers that must be removed from the exterior of aircraft prior to flight.

Whoever removes them, holds them up so the pilot or co-pilot can count them.

All of my pins, in the tow bar, have bright red flags clipped to them that must be removed before installation. I remove the flags, install the pins, and hold them up so my co-pilot can count them.
Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, Tx
1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
I would just forget where I put the darn red flags the second time.
05 Alpine 36MDDS, 09 Subaru Forester, no animals.
two sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
OK -- for dumb here's what we did this weekend:

We had been having trouble with out jacks the past few weeks and last Friday they refused to come down and we got a low battery warning light. Naturally we thought that we were having trouble with the line from the batteries to the jacks. Pulled into fill up and Dave couldn't move the generator slide out until he turned on the engine. Ahhh, I said, it is the house batteries that are the problem. Anyway we spent Sat and Sun in Santa Fe using wood to level and trying to figure out what the problem was. Dave cleaned out the one connection that has 6 different things attached (and of course it is way in the back). No luck, so we headed down to Albuquerque Monday with an appointment on Tuesday to have it looked at. But in the mean time we check on one of the four batteries and it registered DEAD - so we figured, the batteries are gone, especially when we found a cable that was going bad. So we get some new batteries to put in and Dave wanted GOOD, Heavy Duty cables to replace the one that was going bad. Do you know that you can't get those at auto stores. We finally found a battery store (Mor-Co) in Albuquerque that will make them up to the length you want. So we got one made up to replace the obviously bad one (and a couple of extras) and went back to the coach to replace the batteries and put on the new cable.

Yes, I know - you are saying well didn't they try the new cable FIRST. Of course not, that would have been SIMPLE. We're owners of an Orphan RV - nothing is suppose to be simple. Anyway, Dave gets the old batteries out, takes one of the new ones to put in the back with the mega connection - and it WON'T fit. Expletives fly - I'm sure the people next to us were really wondering about us. At this point, we decide to test all of the old batteries to see if one will work in that position. Dave cleans them all off and the first one he tried was about 6.5 volts - great. Then he decides to check another one - same thing. Yup, you guessed it - all of them were okay once we got them cleaned off. So back in went all of the old batteries (all nice and clean), we hooked up the new cables, I threw the switches and everything WORKS. My jacks went down nice and smooth and leveled the coach, slide went out, things are good again. I loaded up the new batteries and returned them for a refund. And then we went out to eat and Dave had dessert as a treat for all of the hard work he went through.

So - remember to try the simple things first!

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Alpiner pulls over along highway for roadside issue, unhooks toad & wife takes toad to town. Wife returns. Alpiner hooks up toad & heads down the highway.

20 miles later, state trooper pulls Alpiner over. Alpiner's wife emerges from passenger side of trooper's car. Wife rejoins Alpiner for balance of trip. True story?
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
I also 'removed' my antenna and now have a solution so it won't happen again. If the antenna is cranked up, the ignition keys are hung on the crank handle. Simple and it works.
Smilin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Alpine Owners Club
EM and BarbaraOK - Mike, are you still married to the same woman whom it seems you left by the side of the road? If so, I think monthly dinners at her favorite restaurant are in order for the rest of her life. Or her choice of libation beverage concoction is also in order.

Barbara - If you don't now do it, monthly battery maintenance is one of the little things you can do to forgo the electrical issues you had previously. I keep a couple of pieces of heavy cardboard in one of the bays to put down, safety glasses to keep the acid out of my eyes, some rubber gloves to protect your hands, and baking soda and water mixture. The baking soda removes and neutralizes the battery acid on the batteries, terminals, and removes he corrosion as well. Just don't put any inside the batteries as you will have a worse situation than before. I should write up a procedure so someone can use it to do this maintenance, but everyone has their own way. I make sure the coach has all the master switches turned off when doing my battery maintenance. I try not to use any metal tools in that compartment as well when working on the batteries. If I do, putting some rubber tubing or wrapping the with electrical tape over the long shaft of any wrenches will hopefully help from an accidental contact with the positive side/negative side of the battery posts. Leaving the tape on also marks the wrench as the one you need for the next time you perform the service.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
I just remembered two more confessions:

19. Left the fresh water tank input selector on Tank Fill rather than Shore Water, then griped that the water pump did not work right.
20. Didn't securely fasten the sewer hose to the sewer outlet at the coach, then pulled the Black Tank release, but only for a couple of seconds. Still, what a mess. Don't do this!
Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Similar to Mr. Stewart's confession, except (my pride aside) less damage.

This past spring, bright and early one morning I was taking the MH out to my local service center for a state inspection and other work to get ready for the long awaited camping season.

Now I had the MH connected to 15 amp service from my home via a standard outdoor extension cord to keep my batteries charged, and also due to the fact that I had been doing a lot of renovation work inside over the winter.

As you may have guessed by now, imagine my embarrassment as I'm sitting at the traffic light at the entrance of my subdivision ready to hit the main highway, when I see my neighbor in my rear view mirror running towards my rig waving her hands like a crazy person.

That's right, when I was able to make out what she was shouting..."you're dragging your cord" I think it was. I had to wait for the traffic to clear so I could get off the road and there it was....50 feet of extension cord faithfully following along. To add to my self brought on humiliation, I had to wait for the traffic to clear again before I was able to reel in the evidence.

2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
Duane, Precy, 9 year old son Matt, and Abby, our American Eskimo.
Dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote