Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Gail & John,

If you do end up staying a night in Redding, we vote for JGW RV Park, right on the Sacramento River. Many sites are real near the river, with water views and a number of other sites are farther from the river. And there is a huge grassy area fronting the river to romp with the dog. It's quite a nice park.

JGW RV Park - Redding, CA

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Mike View Post
Gail & John,

If you do end up staying a night in Redding, we vote for JGW RV Park, right on the Sacramento River. Many sites are real near the river, with water views and a number of other sites are farther from the river. And there is a huge grassy area fronting the river to romp with the dog. It's quite a nice park.

JGW RV Park - Redding, CA

Cheers!
Thank you, 2 Mikes!! We'll give it a try, especially now that we again neeed a place for a dog to romp!

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #31

Durango RV resort in Red Bluff is very nice too. We have stayed there a few times now.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #32

Gail
We are in seaside until 7/29 and then down to Newport Oregon until 8/4
Are you anywhere close. Maybe be can meet up
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Sandy & Debi,

Are you in Seaside, OR? We are in Poulsbo, WA, leaving tomorrow to spend the next 5 nights in Sequim, WA. From there, we plan to make our way down the coast starting on 7/31. We might be able to arrange a night at Newport...where will you be staying? Would be great to catch up with you two!

Gail
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
We went to the TT Park in or near Florence, OR, and a couple of turns on Hw 101 were 180 degrees and tight, we made it, but take your time. In or just outside on the North end of Florence, there is a Fred Meyer fuel station, you can get Diesel There. I have not taken the coach into CA on 101, but lots of people do it, it's a good road, just take your time and enjoy the trip. There are places to fuel up past Florence, OR, just do a gasbuddy.com or Google search for diesel fuel along 101 and I'm sure something will pop up.

And the attendant does not have to pump Diesel Fuel into your rig in Oregon, you can do it, gas is another matter, they have to pump gas, no so with diesel, it's a commercial fuel and as such is not under that law. I pump my diesel fuel all the time in OR and no one said a thing to me about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Monty! We ended up coming home along I-5, as we needed to get home more quickly than we would have been able to along 101...much as we would have loved the scenery and cooler weather a little longer! I'll keep this good info for a trip we DO plan just on the coast, as I'd really like to go all the way up through northern CA, OR & WA.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
All - Maybe I am anal, but I hunt down all the State DOT websites and make a folder on my desktop and put the links in there. Every state will tell you about weather problems, road construction, and what is happening in that state.

Caltrans, Oregon DOT and WA DOT have good sites with CA's as one of the better ones, Nevada and Arizona last time I looked needed a little work. Most of them have the webcams posted, and or a link to them, which I save into that folder as well. I keep weather sites, and hard to find links concerning RV parks in it as well. You can just click on the little camera symbol and see that part of the road, some are real time, some are updated every minute or so.

Another thing I do is have a free subscription to "weather underground" (Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground) as my home page. You can pay $10 a year and not see the ads, but free is also a good price. You can set up favorite cities to check the weather, creating a route you are going to drive and each time you start the PC and open the browser, your favorite cites are at the top of the page. If you need a more in-depth weather for that city, you click on it. They have two different choices for the Doppler radar picture, regular view and wundermap, which is customizable, it shows all weather alerts at the top of the page in yellow or red depending on the severity of the alert. It's the best place for weather on the net, beats the weather channel hands down for a PC based site, now for TV, we watch the weather channel almost all the time, they also have some good weather shows.

We have next to the passenger seat up front, a weather based alert radio which runs off 120VAC and has battery backup. We are getting into Hurricane Season, which can spawn tornados and it sounds an alarm with the local weather service providing the alert status and what to do. In the southern part of the country each RV park has a place which has been designated the place to go in case of a tornado situation, know that place.

My GPS (Magellan-http://www.magellangps.com/lp/rvfamily/screens.html#5) 7 inch screen, touch screen, with Free lifetime map updates, traffic alerts. You can put in the size and length of the RV and it won't let you take a road which is unsafe for you. But like anything else, check your route with a paper map first, unless you are 30, and then check your I-phone, it won't let you down and nothing is perfect. The traffic alert feature is neat, if there is a slow down up ahead a few miles, it turns the road color to yellow, if it's bumper to bumper it turns the road color to red, and if you have a destination programmed in to the unit, it will bypass the traffic and take you another way, note that way may be through stop light type roads. You can program in, only interstate/highway roads, and not toll roads as well. It has lots of customizable features, which I find very friendly. Everyone's kid says my iPhone will do that, no, first old people cannot see the iPhone when driving, and second, it won't do the traffic thing very well. Phones are to talk on, GPS units are for assisting with driving and finding a place you don't know how to get to. No electronic device can take the place of the good old brain we all have. Hope this all helps with how to go down the road with less hassle than before.