Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Eureka and North

Has anyone traveled CA SR299 to Eureka and then followed Rt 101 north through Oregon to Washington? Is that route okay for a 40ft rig towing?

Thanks for any advice!!

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

299 from I5 to 101 is a bit of a challenge but I did it in a 40' DP with towd connected. Went all the way north on 101 to Port Angeles WA. Great trip and no problems. Go for it.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Gail, John and Mindy!

We were going to do that one time and there was a forest fire and they had 299 closed about an hour west of Redding. If we'd known it, we wouldn't have gone. We got detoured down a smaller highway that eventually ended up on the coast. This road had the steepest grades I've ever seen and skinny 2 lane sections with no center line marker; thankfully nobody was going the other way in those sections. This must have been Hwy. 3 and 36.

All of 101 is fine with your toad. There are a number of state parks in OR on the coast and they are all beautiful.

We'll be leaving the July NorCal Monterey Rally on July 28, spending a couple of days in the Berkeley area, then heading up the coast on 101 from San Rafael to Florence where we'll head over to Eugene for the NorCal FMCA pre-rally.

Cheers from The Mike's!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I have also driven 299 with a toad and it is a two lane road and very beautifull trip and the town of Weaverville is interesting.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you, Libero, Mikeys and Dave!! We're heading to the Olympic Peninsula in a few weeks, and I think we'll try that route this time.

It means we miss our favorite Mexican restaurant in Yreka, but we'll have to catch it next time.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

Now that you know you can go, let me tell you of the things that I saw there.

There is a individual that runs a museum/carpenters shop/training school that has the largest collection of human powered wood working tools in the US. amazing man that has made things for three presidents.
Ferndale is a small town with almost all Victorian style buildings. Photo ops abound.
Drive out on the island for a family style meal in an old logging mill camp.
Tour the World War 2 gun emplacememnts.
We stayed for 9 days at the Moose lodge. They have water and electricity at $10 a day for Moose members.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you, Jim & Darlene...We'll take this info with us!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #8

I lived in Eureka many moons ago. 299 will work fine but if you want to see Ferndale &even Eureka you will have to backtrack South a bit. 299 hits 101 a bit North of Arcata, & Ferndale is South of Eureka which is South of Arcata.
You could take 5 North then 20 West to 101. There's a nice RV Park I designed in Rio Dell right on the Eel River South of Fortuna from which a visit to Ferndale is an easy jaunt.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Gail, are you going to Eureka for gold or UFO`s?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjstacy View Post
Has anyone traveled CA SR299 to Eureka and then followed Rt 101 north through Oregon to Washington? Is that route okay for a 40ft rig towing?

Thanks for any advice!!
I can't speak for the 299 but I just finished driving the 101 from Pacific Beach WA south to San Fran. in a 40ft DP and it is a beautiful drive. Not to say it was all easy driving there are a few areas with tight curves and narrow roads but it all very doable. There were a few bridges and cliff's where the DW, who is not fond of heights was sitting on the floor of the coach.

One other important note about driving HWY101 is that fuel is problematic. Many stations have diesel fuel but only a couple have the space to get a large RV and toad into and out safely. If I saw a station with space I would pull in and fuel up out of fear I would not find another down the road. FYI diesel was $3.92 in OR last week and it is state law that the pump attendant must pump your gas for you. I got yelled at the first time I went to pump my own gas.

Oh don't make the mistake I made and drive WA109 on the Washington coast that was a bit difficult with a couple of hairpin turns that I did not like.

If you like Aviation Museums visit the one in Tillamook also the cheese factories there. If you like Glass Blowing visit Jennifer L. Sears Glass Art Studio in Lincoln City, OR. The DW actually made a beautiful bowl in a very hands on training class. My favorite was the beer tasting at the Pelican Pub & Brewery on the beach in Pacific City, OR. A few of the many things to do and see on the coast of OR and WA.

Enjoy your trip we did.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #11

There was a Shell station with diesel on the south side of Reedsport that was easy enough to get our rig into for fuel. But we are a few feet shorter than you in both coach and toad, so no guarantees!

Have a fun trip.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you so much to everyone!! I got so much more than I expected when I started this thread...these recommendations are wonderful and have made us rethink our trip a bit...always a good thing! I may have to drag John around for longer than originally planned, but I just won't let him know how long.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #13

We went down 101 from Astoria to Crescent City last month. Our rig is a 32' gasser and we don't tow. I would make two recommendations. First off, stop at the first rest area or Tourist Info Center in Oregon and get this year's "101 mile-by-mile" guide. It's a freebie, and an excellent guide to the highway attractions. It doesn't cover campgrounds very much, but the Good Sam 2013 guide does.

Secondly, we found a large number of road works where traffic was single-lane with temporary traffic lights and flaggers. I'd suggest calling the DOTs in CA and OR for current information. They may have been rushing to get finished before the start of the tourist season, but in three places, the southbound lane had slid down to the beach!

Another recommendation for the Tillamook Air Museum. The building itself is worth a visit. It was a blimp hangar in WW2 and is all wood.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Ferndale is a small town with almost all Victorian style buildings. Photo ops abound.
Ferndale is neat. They allow RV parking at the fairgrounds. They even have electric and water. There is a little RV park just off the parking lot. That is not the area I am talking about. It is just inside the gate and you park next to the grassy area. I am sure this is not available during events, but we spent two nights there two years ago and it turned out to be nice and quiet.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote