Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Excessive right front tire wear

Has anyone had a problem and solution for the excessive wearing on the outside edge of the right front tire of a 2005 36ft. Alpine coach?

I have noticed the ware for some time and recently found that it is becoming a real problem. I always maintain proper tire inflation. I have checked my coach against specifications that someone previously posted on this sight such as toe, caster and camber. I have also checked the bearings, the king pin and drag link and tie rod ends, finding no movement of any kind. All specifications are within the norm and the right specifications are exactly the same as the left tire.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Charlie,

We had a wear problem on the front of our 34 footer. The inside edge of one front tire and the outside edge of the other front tire were wearing unevenly and there was a shaking in the front end at around 50 mph (which got worse over time). We moved those tires back to the rear axle and moved two from the rear to the front, re-balancing all of them, as well as having the front end aligned. That solved our problem and the fronts went another couple of years until we put all 6 new tires on.

Speaking of new tires, I wonder if you're still on your originals or if you've replaced them yet? Most folks seem to agree on replacing motorhome tires at somewhere close to the 6-year mark, some even sooner.

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Charlie L.

You might have the same problem that is alluded to in this topic:

Crab Walking Down The Road

In that post, I reference another topic that describes this condition in detail.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

I had the problem in Alaska/Canada, which included excessive ware on the inside left tire. Don't know if you have that or not, but similar to crab walking down the road (post above), as it turns out we drove thousands of miles on chip seal roads that were significantly crowned. The back of the coach tends to slide off to the right causing a constant correction on the steering wheel. The tire folks in Alaska/Canada were all to familiar with this for MH and Trucks. I had the front tires rotated in Whitehorse (it was going to take a week to get me two new tires the right size in Whitehorse) and made it to a Goodyear dealer in Anchorage (I called ahead). Lots of luck!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Alaska - I will purchase a good used tire and take it with me when we go to Alaska. It seems parts are hard to get if at all available. If someone has a spare parts list, that is in addition to oil, coolant, windshield washer fluid, Hydro Hot Boiler coolant, machine oil, WD-40, spare air filter, genset oil & air filter, extra wire, solder less terminals, lots of tools, light bulbs (inside), odd & ends, spare water pump, I am all game for that list.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Alaska - I will purchase a good used tire and take it with me when we go to Alaska. It seems parts are hard to get if at all available. If someone has a spare parts list, that is in addition to oil, coolant, windshield washer fluid, Hydro Hot Boiler coolant, machine oil, WD-40, spare air filter, genset oil & air filter, extra wire, solder less terminals, lots of tools, light bulbs (inside), odd & ends, spare water pump, I am all game for that list.
Old Rv'er...
Don't forget DUCT TAPE (AKA "Duck" Tape ) ... I see you have the WD-40.

The complete RedNeck toolbox needs only WD-40 and Duct Tape.

If it moves and it ain't 'sposed to... Duct Tape it.
If it 'sposed to move and don't... WD-40 it.
It's all good,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #7

I carry a set of fan belts. We've been to Alaska twice (2006 & 2009) and survived, but those frost heaves and construction zones really get you. But great trips.